RAM used from running apps?

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have a question regarding the RAM that is being used by the running apps. I have the Razr MAXX. When I go to the manage apps, then running, it shows that I have 670MB used, and 170MB Free. This means that it is using approximately 80% of the RAM being used by the apps.

However, when I go through the list of running apps, and total the MB being used by those apps, it adds up to 290MB. What is causing the difference? Are there hidden apps that are not included in the list?

I have found that this is the biggest reason for the lag on my phone. Whenever, I go in and force close some of the apps on this list, it reduces the number some, and my phone will pick up, however, since I can not seem to find approximately 400MB that is being used, it is hard to change anything.

Please note that this is occuring at any time on the phone. I have recently done a hard reset and only downloaded (installed) half of the apps I had previously, and it still shows the same numbers, immediately after the factory reset.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. I am seriously considering upgrading to one of the phones that have 2GB ram instead of 1GB, but I feel that it really is not necessary, and hopefully someone will help me out.

Thanks
Doug

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a question regarding the RAM that is being used by the running apps. I have the Razr MAXX. When I go to the manage apps, then running, it shows that I have 670MB used, and 170MB Free. This means that it is using approximately 80% of the RAM being used by the apps.

However, when I go through the list of running apps, and total the MB being used by those apps, it adds up to 290MB. What is causing the difference? Are there hidden apps that are not included in the list?

I have found that this is the biggest reason for the lag on my phone. Whenever, I go in and force close some of the apps on this list, it reduces the number some, and my phone will pick up, however, since I can not seem to find approximately 400MB that is being used, it is hard to change anything.

Please note that this is occuring at any time on the phone. I have recently done a hard reset and only downloaded (installed) half of the apps I had previously, and it still shows the same numbers, immediately after the factory reset.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. I am seriously considering upgrading to one of the phones that have 2GB ram instead of 1GB, but I feel that it really is not necessary, and hopefully someone will help me out.

Thanks
Doug

Some, if not all of that 400MB is probably from Bloatware. Are you running Android 4.0? If unsure, go to Settings>About Device>scroll down to Android Version. If you are running 4.0 I have an idea for you (won't work on anything lower)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am running 4.1.2

Sorry about me taking so long to respond. With 4.0+ you can disable many apps. Go to Settings>Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps, and scroll down to the app you wish to disable. Example: Yahoo! Finance. Your phone doesn't need this to run properly. Tap on that app, and you will see some of the App Info. You will see 2 buttons. One is Force Stop, the other will either be Uninstall Updates, or Disable. If Yahoo was updated you have to click on uninstall updates in order to disable. Once done, the app is still there, BUT it is no longer active and therefore, no longer taking up precious RAM. I would only disable apps you clearly don't use/think Android needs. However, anything Google related, I would let those be.

This string of steps is also used to disable notifications. There is a check box below those 2 buttons. Say you have a game that notifies you every time X event occurs. Unchecking this will stop those notifications.

Hope this helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of memory is taken up by Android system processes that are hidden from you, because they don't want the average user tinkering too much with the real nuts and bolts of the system. Since these processes are hidden, the numbers you add up are never going to total up to the RAM that you see being used.

It's true that a lot of devices have bloatware, but bloatware should really show up as a running app if it's using RAM.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both for your answers. I will try the disable and see if that can help some. I realize after some research that supposedly the RAM being used is not the same as on a computer, and supposedly even if you have a lot of RAM showing as used, it really is not affecting the phone, however, I do not believe that, because if I can close those apps on the "running" list, and get the overall percentage of RAM used below 70%, my phone runs so much smoother, but as soon at it gets over 70%, and closer to 75% or greater, it lags so bad, I can not stand it.

I love this phone, but I have h ad problems ever since it was falsely upgraded to JB in December, and even now that the correct update has been done, I do not know how many dropped calls I have per day, plus this wonderful lag. I did not have either of these issues prior to the JB update.

Thanks again everyone.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your answers. I will try the disable and see if that can help some. I realize after some research that supposedly the RAM being used is not the same as on a computer, and supposedly even if you have a lot of RAM showing as used, it really is not affecting the phone, however, I do not believe that, because if I can close those apps on the "running" list, and get the overall percentage of RAM used below 70%, my phone runs so much smoother, but as soon at it gets over 70%, and closer to 75% or greater, it lags so bad, I can not stand it.

I love this phone, but I have h ad problems ever since it was falsely upgraded to JB in December, and even now that the correct update has been done, I do not know how many dropped calls I have per day, plus this wonderful lag. I did not have either of these issues prior to the JB update.

Thanks again everyone.

You can also try clearing the cache in recovery.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You can also try clearing the cache in recovery.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I have tried that before, and neither that, or the factory reset fixed it.

So far, by taking and setting apps that I do not use to disable seems to have cleaned it up for me. Before doing that, the "running" RAM was in the range of 77% - 81%, however, after setting 5 apps to disable, I have been able to sit at 70% or below, which is perfect as far as my phone operating with very little lag. I will report back in about a week to see if this continues.

Thanks to all who have offered assistance