Lag - my MAXX is becoming a sizzling piece of crap...

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what has happened to my phone over the last couple of months, but the lag has gotten unbearable.

If I close all of the open apps, it seems to do pretty well, but one or two open apps will cause a tremendous lag. To the point where unlocking the phone takes 10 seconds, placing a call 20, and sometimes I answer the phone and I'm talking to the other party about 30 seconds before the screen shows a connection. I have tried uninstalling everything that's non-essential and stopping notifications for most apps, including Facebook.

I don't know what's happened, but my phone took a performance nose-dive over the last couple of months and has become almost unusable at times.

Any ideas, other than an FDR which I'd rather avoid?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also worth disabling as many system apps as you can that you never use. Personally, I think Chrome actually bogs down devices that aren't current cutting edge ones, so I disable it and only use the stock Browser (I noticed a significant performance improvement with my Asus TF300 as well after disabling Chrome). Here are other system apps I've disabled:

Kindle
Android Keyboard (I use Swype)
Android Live Walpapers
BrowserMessage
Bubbles
Calculator
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
Email (I only use Gmail and Yahoo)
Face Unlock
Forest Wallpaper
Help Center
Home screen tips
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Moto Chinese Input
Moto Smart Handwriting
Moto Stroke
Moto (Chinese characters)
MotoCast
Music Visualization Wallpapers
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Phase Beam
Slacker Radio
SmartActions
Sync Service
Tags
TalkBack
Tasks
Verizon Tones
Video Calling
Voice Commands (the Motorola one, not the Google one)
VZ Navigator

Wow, look at all of that bloat!

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Definitely cleared in recovery and a lot of bloat disabled.

Tried something new tonight and will give it a few days to test: deleted all txt messages and my email storage (which was set to NOT delete at all). Seems zippier so far, but it will take a day or so to tell.

Stay tuned...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely cleared in recovery and a lot of bloat disabled.

Tried something new tonight and will give it a few days to test: deleted all txt messages and my email storage (which was set to NOT delete at all). Seems zippier so far, but it will take a day or so to tell.

Stay tuned...

Yes, please let us know.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if smart phones suffer from long term data access and storage problems like computer SSDs do, which is addressed by TRIM in computers. Is there anything similar for smart phone data storage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

skraggy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if smart phones suffer from long term data access and storage problems like computer SSDs do, which is addressed by TRIM in computers. Is there anything similar for smart phone data storage?

Search for lagfix on the play store. It requires root. Some phones supposedly have this issue. Seems to help my RAZR maxx.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, a possible solution here. I've cleared the data cache and that seemed to have little to no effect.

This time I went into the app tray and hit the menu key and then selected "Manage Apps". I located both the stock browser and Chrome and cleared data in each. Yes, you will have to sign into Chrome again, but if you were signed in on both your computer and phone at some point prior to clearing data, all your favorite will come back after you clear data and then open Chrome to sign in again. I don't know of any way to accomplish the same thing with the stock browser.

My phone is A LOT faster now, without all the massive lag that was making it about impossible to use, even in apps other than Chrome. It feels like a new phone again. If this is a true fix, I will be VERY happy with my phone again!

Posted via Android Central App

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, the Maxx isn't really that old. I know it's only dual core, but it shouldn't have problems running chrome right? My Maxx takes upwards of 20-30 seconds to launch chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, the Maxx isn't really that old. I know it's only dual core, but it shouldn't have problems running chrome right? My Maxx takes upwards of 20-30 seconds to launch chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Do what I did and see if that helps. I think it's not so much the phone as it is problems with Chrome.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, please let us know.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Clearing emails and texts was a short-lived solution for me. It's gotten just as bad over the last couple of days. I'm even getting messages to say that "homescreen isn't responding".

I'm going to try the browser data clear (already disabled Chrome some time ago) to see if it makes a difference...

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone is still running fast. I'm sure I'll have to clear the browser every so often, but it's worth the minor hassle..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I finally decided to try a 3rd party launcher (Nova Launcher), and it seems to improve the performance somewhat. Give it a try!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone has slowly become a crash and freeze prone piece of junk again. Completely unusable. I was restarting it or waiting for it to unfreeze more than I was using it again. I cleared all data from Chrome again and once again it's fixed. Chrome is the cause and it's absolute garbage. Worst app on Android, followed closely by the Facebook app. They must have absolute morons programming both of these garbage apps. Idiots.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've also tried clearing Chrome as others have suggested. Unfortunately, it has had no effect outside of Chrome insofar as keeping my phone from being a laggy, unreliable, and unresponsive piece of crap.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've also tried clearing Chrome as others have suggested. Unfortunately, it has had no effect outside of Chrome insofar as keeping my phone from being a laggy, unreliable, and unresponsive piece of crap.

Did you do the same for the stick browser, or disable it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm