Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Lag - my MAXX is becoming a sizzling piece of crap...

I don't know what has happened to my phone over the last couple of months, but the lag has gotten unbearable.

If I close all of the open apps, it seems to do pretty well, but one or two open apps will cause a tremendous lag. To the point where unlocking the phone takes 10 seconds, placing a call 20, and sometimes I answer the phone and I'm talking to the other party about 30 seconds before the screen shows a connection. I have tried uninstalling everything that's non-essential and stopping notifications for most apps, including Facebook.

I don't know what's happened, but my phone took a performance nose-dive over the last couple of months and has become almost unusable at times.

Any ideas, other than an FDR which I'd rather avoid?

Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Re: Lag - my MAXX is becoming a sizzling piece of crap...

Cache has already been cleared multiple times.

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Cleared in recovery?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Yes, very important to clarify--are you talking about only the app caches, or the system cache partition that you have to clear from the Recovery Menu? Instructions here:

Apologies if that's what you meant in the first place.

Also worth disabling as many system apps as you can that you never use. Personally, I think Chrome actually bogs down devices that aren't current cutting edge ones, so I disable it and only use the stock Browser (I noticed a significant performance improvement with my Asus TF300 as well after disabling Chrome). Here are other system apps I've disabled:

Kindle
    Android Keyboard (I use Swype)
    Android Live Walpapers
    BrowserMessage
    Bubbles
    Calculator
    com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
    Email (I only use Gmail and Yahoo)
    Face Unlock
    Forest Wallpaper
    Help Center
    Home screen tips
    Magic Smoke Wallpapers
    Moto Chinese Input
    Moto Smart Handwriting
    Moto Stroke
    Moto (Chinese characters)
    MotoCast
    Music Visualization Wallpapers
    Netflix
    NFL Mobile
    Phase Beam
    Slacker Radio
    SmartActions
    Sync Service
    Tags
    TalkBack
    Tasks
    Verizon Tones
    Video Calling
    Voice Commands (the Motorola one, not the Google one)
    VZ Navigator

Wow, look at all of that bloat!
    Thanked by:
    acman319 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Definitely cleared in recovery and a lot of bloat disabled.

Tried something new tonight and will give it a few days to test: deleted all txt messages and my email storage (which was set to NOT delete at all). Seems zippier so far, but it will take a day or so to tell.

Stay tuned...
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
    Definitely cleared in recovery and a lot of bloat disabled.

Tried something new tonight and will give it a few days to test: deleted all txt messages and my email storage (which was set to NOT delete at all). Seems zippier so far, but it will take a day or so to tell.

Stay tuned...
    Yes, please let us know.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

I wonder if smart phones suffer from long term data access and storage problems like computer SSDs do, which is addressed by TRIM in computers. Is there anything similar for smart phone data storage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman333 View Post
    I wonder if smart phones suffer from long term data access and storage problems like computer SSDs do, which is addressed by TRIM in computers. Is there anything similar for smart phone data storage?
    Search for lagfix on the play store. It requires root. Some phones supposedly have this issue. Seems to help my RAZR maxx.

OK, a possible solution here. I've cleared the data cache and that seemed to have little to no effect.

This time I went into the app tray and hit the menu key and then selected "Manage Apps". I located both the stock browser and Chrome and cleared data in each. Yes, you will have to sign into Chrome again, but if you were signed in on both your computer and phone at some point prior to clearing data, all your favorite will come back after you clear data and then open Chrome to sign in again. I don't know of any way to accomplish the same thing with the stock browser.

My phone is A LOT faster now, without all the massive lag that was making it about impossible to use, even in apps other than Chrome. It feels like a new phone again. If this is a true fix, I will be VERY happy with my phone again!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 3:
    SoccerRef12 likes this.

Yes, I agree about Chrome--I just disable it completely on my older devices.

The thing is, the Maxx isn't really that old. I know it's only dual core, but it shouldn't have problems running chrome right? My Maxx takes upwards of 20-30 seconds to launch chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kawana72 View Post
    The thing is, the Maxx isn't really that old. I know it's only dual core, but it shouldn't have problems running chrome right? My Maxx takes upwards of 20-30 seconds to launch chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Do what I did and see if that helps. I think it's not so much the phone as it is problems with Chrome.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Yes, please let us know.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    Clearing emails and texts was a short-lived solution for me. It's gotten just as bad over the last couple of days. I'm even getting messages to say that "homescreen isn't responding".

I'm going to try the browser data clear (already disabled Chrome some time ago) to see if it makes a difference...

My phone is still running fast. I'm sure I'll have to clear the browser every so often, but it's worth the minor hassle..

I finally decided to try a 3rd party launcher (Nova Launcher), and it seems to improve the performance somewhat. Give it a try!

My phone has slowly become a crash and freeze prone piece of junk again. Completely unusable. I was restarting it or waiting for it to unfreeze more than I was using it again. I cleared all data from Chrome again and once again it's fixed. Chrome is the cause and it's absolute garbage. Worst app on Android, followed closely by the Facebook app. They must have absolute morons programming both of these garbage apps. Idiots.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I've also tried clearing Chrome as others have suggested. Unfortunately, it has had no effect outside of Chrome insofar as keeping my phone from being a laggy, unreliable, and unresponsive piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lebem View Post
    I've also tried clearing Chrome as others have suggested. Unfortunately, it has had no effect outside of Chrome insofar as keeping my phone from being a laggy, unreliable, and unresponsive piece of crap.

Did you do the same for the stick browser, or disable it?

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Stock browser is and has been disabled since February or March.

My phone is still running as good as it did when it was brand new, with only rare occasional periods of laggy performance. Some things I do:
    - Reboot (power off/on) the phone every few days
    - Perform a cache partition wipe through the recovery menu at least once a week
    - I only use the stock browser which I find to be much faster than Chrome
    - I use 3rd party launchers, with the smoothest and fastest being Nova Launcher Prime
    - I have 2 apps that I run every once in awhile called "1-Touch Cleaner" and "Fast Reboot"
    - I've always performed at least one FDR on all of my Android phones whenever I've taken an OS update
    To identify if the lag is caused by a rogue app, you could try running your phone in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, if the lag disappears, then you'll know you have a misbehaving app.
    From what I understand, beginning with Android 4.3, TRIM support has been added and should reduce or eliminate lag in the Android OS

Quote Originally Posted by ETPhoneHomeT View Post
    My phone is still running as good as it did when it was brand new, with only rare occasional periods of laggy performance. Some things I do:
    - Reboot (power off/on) the phone every few days
    - Perform a cache partition wipe through the recovery menu at least once a week
    - I only use the stock browser which I find to be much faster than Chrome
    - I use 3rd party launchers, with the smoothest and fastest being Nova Launcher Prime
    - I have 2 apps that I run every once in awhile called "1-Touch Cleaner" and "Fast Reboot"
    - I've always performed at least one FDR on all of my Android phones whenever I've taken an OS update
    To identify if the lag is caused by a rogue app, you could try running your phone in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, if the lag disappears, then you'll know you have a misbehaving app.
    From what I understand, beginning with Android 4.3, TRIM support has been added and should reduce or eliminate lag in the Android OS
    We don't know when or even if we will ever get 4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman333 View Post
    We don't know when or even if we will ever get 4.3.

I realize that. That was a forward looking tidbit of information. I'm not a techie, but from what I've read online, the Android OS on all phones from all manufacturers prior to 4.3 are prone to lag but TRIM support is being added which should address that. No idea if we will get another OS update or not on the Razr/Razr Maxx, but hoping so. Although for me personally, I'm happy with the way my phone is running on 4.1.2 and sometimes updates can bring new bugs with it. If you haven't tried some or all of the suggestions I've posted which I think has helped keep mine running lag free, you might try them out. Maybe one will resolve your crash and freeze issues. I can honestly say I'm not experiencing any and I currently have 104 apps installed on my Razr Maxx. Best smartphone I've owned to date.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I do periodically reboot, as well as clear the cache via recovery.
    I have also noted recently been avoiding Chrome (but it is installed.) I'm not using a third party launcher.

I don't have 1-touch Cleaner, but I do periodically run Fast Reboot.

I don't remember if I did an FDR after the Jelly Bean update.

I'll be honest, I do suspect that at least some of my issues are related to an installed app or combination of apps.

That said, the majority of my installed apps are I think fairly common leading me to think it's a more complicated interaction particular to this phone.

I mentioned this before, but I would disable Chrome completely. When I did that on my Asus TF300, performance picked up noticeably. Not sure why.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast