Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Not sure if this is a Maxx anymore...

Hi all, new to the forum and such.

So long story short, I bought my Razr Maxx from Best Buy mobile with their insurance/replacement plan. Eventually, my headphone jack wasn't working, the gps wasn't working, the thing that tells it which direction its facing stopped working unless I rebooted it (even then only worked for a few hours), etc. So I took it to them and they did a factory reset, headphone jack still wasn't working so they ordered me a replacement phone.

I went to pick up my replacement phone, the guys hands it to me, and I immediately hand it back to him telling him this isn't a Razr Maxx, its just a Razr. It was waaaaaay too thin and had that annoying bump on the back. The geek squad guy was confused as heck and one of the other tech's had to tell him that I was right. So they sent it back and ordered yet another one.

This time around it is definitely a Razr Maxx based on the outside dimensions (no bump and the whole phone is the same thickness). However, when I go to Model Number in the About Phone tab, it still just says Droid Razr, not Droid Razr Maxx. What the freak? Also the battery has been TERRIBLE, nothing like a real Maxx.

For reference, it updated to 4.1.2 after turning it on.

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Not sure if this is a Maxx anymore...

Hmm.. I'm sure if it's the slightly thicker version, you have the bigger battery in it. Maybe it just needs to charge a few times. It's very odd that they flashed the phone with the Razr ROM and not the Maxx rom though.. The two roms should be pretty much identical though..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's what I thought was weird! My old phone for sure said Droid Razr Maxx in the Model Number spot.

Wouldn't the 2 different ROMs treat the battery differently though?

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't know.. I used to buy different sized (maH) batteries for my Nexus S, and I never had to do anything special when putting in a battery of a different capacity.

Yep, it should say MAXX, mine does:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not sure if this is a Maxx anymore...-uploadfromtaptalk1382485532713.jpg  

This free app/widget reports the rated mAh for your battery: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cc71.bmw&hl=en
    For my Maxx it reports the default capacity as 3200 mAh, not the published-specified 3300 mAh. You can change the max capacity to whatever you want, but I assume the figure it reports initially by default is based upon the phone type.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

As soon as I installed and opened that app, it shows battery as 930 mAh. What the heck is going on?!

Quote Originally Posted by tpm34 View Post
    As soon as I installed and opened that app, it shows battery as 930 mAh. What the heck is going on?!
    I think that's what I'd ask Bestbuy. Here is mine at full charge:
    Not sure if this is a Maxx anymore...-screenshot.jpg
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So now that I've been using this replacement phone for about 3-4 weeks now, I can honestly say its a pile of crap. I can leave the POS plugged in for hours and hours while I'm at work, take it to lunch for an hour and its down to 80%. From full charge to about 30% is all of 6-8 hours depending on if I'm actually using it. The sad part is that I'm barely using it. The most I ever do on it is play music in my car (not streaming, just from the SD card), play games in the bathroom and browse Facebook at lunch. How the hell is that possible?? Again I have the thicker Maxx version of the phone, but clearly not the Maxx battery. I hate Best Buy.

I would go back to Best Buy, or better yet, call the Geek Squad's national assistance number first and explain the whole deal.

Cutting up with my RAZR MAXX!