Droid Razr MAXX: factory reset for erratic touchscreen?

Robslap

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The touchscreen on my RAZR maxx has been acting erratic lately. Cannot type texts or emails because the keys freeze or the keyboard disappears. Tapping on an app icon opens a completely different app and answering a phone call is impossible. Corrected it with deleting some apps and soft resets. If this continues I'm going to try a factory reset. I know how to functionally reset the phone but how do I back up all my info so that I don't have to painstakingly type in info when I reinstall the apps. Know this is a newbie question but never needed to do. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: factory reset?factory reset?

Well if you are really considering a FR then you should know that there is no way to back things up the way it sounds like you want to unless you are rooted. If your device is rooted you can back up apps in full so that you do not have to reenter user names and passwords and all of your game saves will be intact. Of course to root you have to loose all of that information too and start over. Below is a brief explaination of what to generally expect if you FR.

What to expect doing a factory reset:
You shouldn't loose any of your pictures, vids, or music saved on the SD partition of your memory or on your memory card if your device supports one. Just be sure not to select wipe memory. If you wipe your memory during a FR it will wipe your SD partition and/or card of all saved data. What you will loose is all of your log in information for email, game saves and log-ins, and app data if it requires a user name and/password. Your apps themselves are saved at the Play Store under your profile and once you sign in to Google Play they should be there waiting for you. I believe with my HTC One it installed all of my apps that I had installed before the reset, semi-automatically. You will loose your screen layouts and your phone settings will revert back to the factory default. Your contacts will be saved, provided you've you haven't added any since they were last backed up. If possible you should do a manual backup prior to your reset, either through your Google account, Big Red's backup assistant, or to your SIM card just depending on where you want to save them. You can do one or may want to do all three or some combination of the three.

Insurance:
There are several backup apps at the Play Store. MyBackUp Pro is one that claims to save your settings and screen layouts as well as your SMS and MMS conversations. It's a paid app but they offer a a free trial that should be enough to get you through one factory reset. However there are many other apps that offer backup, so look there if you want a bit more insurance against loosing data.

GL and post back if you need more help.

Robslap

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: factory reset?
factory reset?

Thanks so much. Phone is stable right now but I will keep your reply close by

Posted via Android Central App