Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I root my phone for this?

All I am wanting to do is recover some pics that were accidently deleted from my phone - I have gone to the Google play store but free app that I see on there requires that the phone is rooted. Anyone here know if it is possible to recover this data w/o rooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Verizon - Motorola Droid Razr Maxx - Android 4.1.2

Default Re: Should I root my phone for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rungaitis View Post
    All I am wanting to do is recover some pics that were accidently deleted from my phone - I have gone to the Google play store but free app that I see on there requires that the phone is rooted. Anyone here know if it is possible to recover this data w/o rooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Verizon - Motorola Droid Razr Maxx - Android 4.1.2
    I'm not sure whether or not there are ways to do it without rooting or not, but as far as whether or not it's "worth it"...

1. If they are on an SD card, you may be in luck. Remove the card NOW and then try to find free data recovery software that you may be able to use on your computer with the card attached via a card reader or something like that.

2. When it comes to recovering deleted files, time is NOT on your side...the longer it's been since you deleted them, the more likely it is that they've been overwritten. This is something to consider when weighing your options on rooting. If you deleted the files a few minutes ago, your odds of recovery may be pretty good...if it was several months ago...highly doubtful. (This is also why, if the files are on an SD card, you'll want to remove it from the device ASAP). I don't have a Razr Maxx, so I'm not very familiar with the rooting options/methods for this device. If rooting the phone requires a data wipe, you may as well just forget about getting your files back that way. If not, then it may still be possible to root without destroying the deleted files.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.