Can I unlock a Droid Razr Maxx xt912 for GSM (Straight Talk) or not?

Ed May

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I have a question that many folks seem to have. I'm entirely new to the smart phone world, so I'm not really up on much of the cell phone terms.

Anyways, here's the situation. My son just got a new phone, and I was interested in using his old Droid Razr Maxx on Straight Talk. According to the Straight Talk website, if the phone is unlocked, it is usable on the Straight Talk service. His phone has a SIM card slot and a SD card slot.

I've searched across various forums, but I'm not sure if I can unlock this phone or not. Some older posts say that the GSM radio is only available for use on non-US carriers. Some say that it is unlockable, but you only get 3G and have to change some APN settings. Others say that Verizon has to unlock the phone for use on GSM networks if the customers asks.

Since I'm wanting to use the phone with Straight Talk, only getting 3G isn't an issue, so no problem there.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks!

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that there are too many people that have experience with this, but I'd recommend you take your son's Maxx to Verizon, ask them if it can be released or unlocked or whatever and then take it to Straight Talk and see what they say.

Ed May

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I think you may be right. I took the phone to an "authorized Verizon dealer" in my small town, and they suggested the same thing. They said Verizon wouldn't be happy about it, and might even be rude, but that I should check with them.

Ed May

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Okay, called Verizon customer service and Straight Talk customer service and, according to both of them, this phone can't be unlocked for use on the Straight Talk service because it is a Verizon 4G LTE phone and isn't compatible. Ah, well. I'll have to find something else.

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think straight talk has some 4G phones that aren't too expensive. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using TapaTalk 4

ricardohdez

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can use this phone on straight talk or any GSM carrier as long as you remove the GSM band lock that verizon puts on their phones. Im actually working on the same phone myself. im trying to remove the GSM lock on my friends Razr Maxx so far ive only researched a little but it seems like its not a complicated process at all.. all you need some drivers,some programs to download and following some instructions.. so far im just following this video i found on youtube. hope it helps

MOTOROLA DROID RAZR M/MAXX HD (XT907/XT926) UNLOCK U.S. CARRIERS FULL TUTORIAL - YouTube

Fox5120

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Wooo, hold your horse, the Video is for XT907/926 which is completely different Hardware then XT912, it will not apply. I'm too trying to find way to enable the XT912 for US GSM carrier (It works on GSM out side of US), so far no luck.

kch197513

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
hello, ive got a non branded razr maxx xt912. ive tried bringing it over to net10 using the cdma radio on their network, the net10 rep said the meid makes it ineligible, therefore i would assume there's a direct relationship or list that prevents the use by meid number on us networks that arent through verizon. that being said, ive had this phone replaced 3 times in the last,2 years ,this current phone was new in the box without verizon branding and its described in my verizon account as a "non-verizon-device" regardless, when ive received my replacement phones in the past, id simply switch out my sim card and it would work just as a gsm type device, in that manner, it's something i wanted to add after reading all these forums on this topic. my point being , even activating this phone through net10, whom are purchasing network access from verizon, and using the same phone on verizons own network doesn't work. ive noticed many people trying to use the gsm sim to get on att, or tmobile ,etc. i actually tried this first, and spoke with net10, she said they did see my xt912 had registered on their network, but it was showing up as roaming , however it wouldn't send or receive. i think the key is getting the meid unblocked on us networks.
pardon my puntuation, im on a win8 tablet :/

tqlulu

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure if certain things were done before I bought my phone that allow it to be used on straightaway's network, but it was purchased on ebay. Perhaps it was already unlocked, but it is the same model as yours and all I had to do was have straight talk send me their sim for the phone (8 to 10 business days), and once I received the Sim I called straight talk and had my phone activated on their network and have had no problems, so I know it can be done. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hi! I have a question that many folks seem to have. I'm entirely new to the smart phone world, so I'm not really up on much of the cell phone terms.

Anyways, here's the situation. My son just got a new phone, and I was interested in using his old Droid Razr Maxx on Straight Talk. According to the Straight Talk website, if the phone is unlocked, it is usable on the Straight Talk service. His phone has a SIM card slot and a SD card slot.

I've searched across various forums, but I'm not sure if I can unlock this phone or not. Some older posts say that the GSM radio is only available for use on non-US carriers. Some say that it is unlockable, but you only get 3G and have to change some APN settings. Others say that Verizon has to unlock the phone for use on GSM networks if the customers asks.

Since I'm wanting to use the phone with Straight Talk, only getting 3G isn't an issue, so no problem there.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks!

thedruidsaint Tabor

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
YES......you can......... I have one and use straight talk!!!!!!!

Go to Wal-mart and "MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE 4G LTE STRAIGHT TALK KIT THAT COMES WITH THE SIM CARDS FOR ALL 4 CARRIERS FOR 4G LTE AND 3G CDMA/GSM PHONES................. THERE ARE TWO KITS....... NOT THE ONE WITH ONLY T-MOBLE AND AT&T.... MAKE SURE THE DUMB *** EMPLOYEES JUST DONT TELL YOU "THIS IS IT"........ PUT THE DUEL SIM CARD FOR CDMA LTE DEVICES IN........ FROM THE RED PACKET 2... PUT IN SD CARD TOO..AND HAVE READ NETWORK ACCESS CARD WHICH IS IN PACKET TWO ALSO...... FROM A DIFFERENT PHONE .....CALL THE 800 CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER..... THERE GOING TO ASK....WHAT KIND OF PHONE...... IMEI NUMBER WHICH IS UNDER SETTINGS.....SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO ABOUT PHONE........ YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT IM SURE.....UNLIKE T-MOBILE OR AT&T WHERE YOU HAD TO PUT IN APN ......VERISION DOES IT AUTOMATICLY....WHICH IS NICE.........OVER THE AIR WHILE YOU ARE ON PHONE......AND THERE YOU GO ......ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW.....:cool:

Candie117

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a droid RAZR maxx HD which I purchased through Verizon. I have since dropped my account with them. I have been forever researching ways to unlock the gsm to be able to use the phone with straight talk. I spoke with their costumer service and was told it will not work with their system. But this was almost 6 months ago. I love this phone and still use it on my WiFi. You are the only person I have found online that has had success activating it with straight talk with detailed instructions. I'd like to talk to you in regards to activation. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you so very much

Trombonegurl32

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Just curious, was yours specifically the xt912, or the 1080? Looking to eBay one and do the same for straight talk, midst don't know if the model makes a difference.
Thanks.

YES......you can......... I have one and use straight talk!!!!!!!

Go to Wal-mart and "MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE 4G LTE STRAIGHT TALK KIT THAT COMES WITH THE SIM CARDS FOR ALL 4 CARRIERS FOR 4G LTE AND 3G CDMA/GSM PHONES................. THERE ARE TWO KITS....... NOT THE ONE WITH ONLY T-MOBLE AND AT&T.... MAKE SURE THE DUMB *** EMPLOYEES JUST DONT TELL YOU "THIS IS IT"........ PUT THE DUEL SIM CARD FOR CDMA LTE DEVICES IN........ FROM THE RED PACKET 2... PUT IN SD CARD TOO..AND HAVE READ NETWORK ACCESS CARD WHICH IS IN PACKET TWO ALSO...... FROM A DIFFERENT PHONE .....CALL THE 800 CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER..... THERE GOING TO ASK....WHAT KIND OF PHONE...... IMEI NUMBER WHICH IS UNDER SETTINGS.....SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO ABOUT PHONE........ YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT IM SURE.....UNLIKE T-MOBILE OR AT&T WHERE YOU HAD TO PUT IN APN ......VERISION DOES IT AUTOMATICLY....WHICH IS NICE.........OVER THE AIR WHILE YOU ARE ON PHONE......AND THERE YOU GO ......ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW.....:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC