115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I need a replaceable battery.

43 37.39%
  • No - Sealed FTW!!!

72 62.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the RAZR's sealed battery stop you from buying?

The RAZR has a sealed battery. Has this altered your purchasing plans for the RAZR?

Default Re: Will the RAZR's sealed battery stop you from buying?

Provided the phone gets decent battery life to begin with, I would definitely consider this phone. I'm not a heavy user by any stretch of the imagination plus I don't stream music or video so I'd run this phone on 3G until I needed the LTE speed boost. The only thing that might stop me from picking this up is the Google/Samsung announcement tonight. I had a chance to pick up an iPhone 4S today but this phone made me turn it down without a second thought.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

Nope- after using the TB for the past months I'm used to tethering it to a AC outlet..... Battery Capacity looks to be good but until we get to run it on LTE we will not know for sure.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

I will wait to see how it does in the real world before buying it.
    KG II likes this.

ROM
    GPA 19 B.B.

my only question before i decide weather or not this is a deal breaker for me is....what if, for rom sake, this thing gets stuck in a boot loop or freezes? how do you re-boot it without the option of a battery pull? i know even my girl friends phone which is 100% bone stock freezes and we have to pull the battery sometimes and if i have to take the phone to verizon everytime it freezes i will say no. If there is some type of reset button or something along those lines then hell yea this will be my next phone. I loved my razr back in the day and i love my droid now. Sticking them both together is going to be amazing.

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

I Interesting, I was un-aware of this little detail.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy357 View Post
    I Interesting, I was un-aware of this little detail.

android

I know the battery won't last me much. So Idk...
    shoot, the extended battery on my tbolt is barely enough fo me to make it throughout the day. im up by 8 and by 5 it's in the charger.
    Last edited by dontlookatme; 10-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    I know the battery won't last me much. So Idk...
    shoot, the extended battery on my tbolt is barely enough fo me to make it throughout the day. im up by 8 and by 5 it's in the charger.
    But you can bludgeon small animals with your phone if you have to.... so you got that going for you.
    AZDROIDX and hazelgreen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    But you can bludgeon small animals with your phone if you have to.... so you got that going for you.
    so true.

Global Posts
    973 Global Posts

I'm with furbymac. The only issue to me is hard resets. Every phone freezes. Then what?

wait till the battery dies and then you can turn it back on
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

There will be a way to reset it. Just like my XOOM. If it needs a reset you hold down power and volume down (I believe...it's something like that).

It isn't going to stop me. I returned my Bionic today, bought a used Droid X2 on the local classifieds to get me by (already sold my POS Thunderbolt) and I'm good to go.

I actually like the Droid X2 better than the Thunderbolt! The Thunderbolt was buggy. The Bionic was cool, but I figured if I'm going to invest $600+ into a phone (phone plus car dock plus 2 x desk dock + lapdock) it had better be the latest and great. I'll rock the X2 for a few weeks...it will make me like the RAZR that much better.

Beyond excited for this phone to launch. I could care less if I can take the battery out or not.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Yes, I think that is a big deal breaker.

I don't think its a deal breaker as long as there is some way to restart the phone if it ever freezes, which I'm sure there will be.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroEngi View Post
    I don't think its a deal breaker as long as there is some way to restart the phone if it ever freezes, which I'm sure there will be.
    My single biggest concern also. And it better have decent battery life. Sometimes you cant just stop and plug in.

Yes, a sealed battery will stop me from buying this phone.. for a couple reasons.

1. (Personal) I hate how thin/light phones are getting today. I don't want $700 piece of technology to feel like it might shatter if I sneeze on it.

2. (Practical) Even if this phone has "Good" battery life, what that really means is "GOOD for an LTE phone".... which is still terrible amongst non LTE phones.. No LTE phone currently comes close to a full days usage off the charger without massive tweaking of features (toggling radios) and/or an extended battery.

3. (Practical, but speculative) I have, in the past 5 years, had 3 different phone batteries stop accepting charge/die before the phones they where in encountered any serious problems. A replacement battery is under $70. If this phone's battery encounters a similar issue... what then? Would I now have to replace an entire phone because of a battery? Even a best case scenario involves having to take the phone in to a technician and be potentially without a phone for days... Either way the situation is unacceptable for me as a consumer.
    DefectiveWeeble likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by furbymac View Post
    my only question before i decide weather or not this is a deal breaker for me is....what if, for rom sake, this thing gets stuck in a boot loop or freezes? how do you re-boot it without the option of a battery pull? i know even my girl friends phone which is 100% bone stock freezes and we have to pull the battery sometimes and if i have to take the phone to verizon everytime it freezes i will say no. If there is some type of reset button or something along those lines then hell yea this will be my next phone. I loved my razr back in the day and i love my droid now. Sticking them both together is going to be amazing.
    This is my main concern as well

The iPhone has a sealed battery and so do most Honeycomb tablets and this has not stopped Hacks being created for these devices. It behooves Google and the handset maker to put out a solid ROM for their H/W.
    Banned

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I have had 4 Moto Droids on my family plan. The batteries wear down in about a year to the point that they need replacement (only last a few hours). Unless the phone can be opened up to replace the battery, or they offer a 1 year contract, this is a deal-breaker. The phone will literally be a brick in a year. Even the iPhone 4 has a battery that is easy to replace (after taking out 4 screws). WTF Moto?!

Quote Originally Posted by c.hack View Post
    I have had 4 Moto Droids on my family plan. The batteries wear down in about a year to the point that they need replacement (only last a few hours). Unless the phone can be opened up to replace the battery, or they offer a 1 year contract, this is a deal-breaker. The phone will literally be a brick in a year. Even the iPhone 4 has a battery that is easy to replace (after taking out 4 screws). WTF Moto?!
    I think the battery technology on the Droid RAZR might be slightly more advanced than the original RAZR's. No? I'm still not worried about it being sealed.

I was looking at this as a backup in case the Galaxy Nexus end up having battery issues.
    With a sealed battery, I may pass and look at another device.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

I have a Droid X that freezes and requires a battery pull at least once a week (sometimes more). So, what happens if the Razr requires a battery pull? I might as well have a brick in my hands.

I live 115 miles from the nearest Verizon owned store; with Best Buy another two or three miles before. That's door-to-door. What happens if it bricks in many of the areas I drive and it could be a four hour drive? The tech guy at the local independent Verizon store where I live has problems installing a case (per a friend of mine) on a Dinc; and would probably not be able to change D size batteries in a flashlight. So, getting him to change a battery in a Razr would be comical.

A reset button? I have a Toshiba laptop (only used now as a GPS computer in the vehicle) that has on occasion locked up to the point I had to pull the battery out of the bottom. The push for eight seconds did not work. Have a work Dell laptop that has done it once. (So far, my personal HP has not, but who knows.) So that hold for eight seconds does not always work, it is still software controlled; it does not mechanically break a battery circuit.

Now, if they have a small button you can push in with a paper clip (or toothpick) that actual 'mechanically' breaks the battery circuit to the circuit board, would be nice.

Other problem I have is the future upgrade to ICS. Most of my problems on my Droid Xs started with the GB upgrade. It was a total disaster and moto still has not stepped up and fixed the problems. So, why should I trust moto to be able to supply an upgrade file to ICS that will not have the number of problems I had with Froyo to GB? And will they support it after the initial upgrade to ICS, or will they do like they have for the X users and just ignore the problems after a simple upgrade to GB that did NOTHING!

If moto had stepped up and fixed all the GB problems, and there was an actual mechanical reset button, I would consider this phone. Moto does have some of the best built phones, and strong radios. However, their track record and the fact they probably don't have a mechanical reset button leaves me no alternative but to look at the Rezound (or Vigor) and the Nexus before even considering another Moto product and especially a Moto product with a non-replaceable battery.
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Quote Originally Posted by AeroEngi View Post
    I think the battery technology on the Droid RAZR might be slightly more advanced than the original RAZR's. No? I'm still not worried about it being sealed.
    Yeah. It's running Android and not Motorola's basic UI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast