Super AMOLED Advanced

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Motorola DROID RAZR Hands-On - YouTube

At 2:42 in this video the representative mentions that the Razr uses Super AMOLED Advanced, which he then says is higher resolution than Super AMOLED Plus. So I'm guessing it is the next generation AMOLED screen. But I did some googling and I could find nothing on it. So I'm wondering if the sales rep didn't know what he was talking about, or maybe someone else knows more.

Edit: It also states Super AMOLED Advanced on the Motorola website, and the "A" in "Advanced" is capitalized to it's not just using a buzz word and saying that it's using an advanced display:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2FDROID-RAZR-BY-MOTOROLA-US-EN&token=tBGa3dbA

Last edited:

j3oomerang

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone needs to find out if this is a pentile or RGB stripe screen. If not Pentile, this screen is potentially better than SAMOLED+ and HD SAMOLED screens Samsung uses.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about specs, but the Advance part has been repeated and listed plenty of times. But others have also left it out in reviews by just saying Super AMOLED, no Plus or Advance after. If you look at all the YouTube vids on RAZR, there are some that show just how great that screen looks! Crystal clear and crisp, as of now it's my choice over the Nexus.

Reactions: delco714

equake

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How would this display look in sun light? The Bionic with its pentile display looks pretty good in direct sun light. If this the SAMOLED Adv. display works well in direct sun lite then this is definitely on my short list

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
How would this display look in sun light? The Bionic with its pentile display looks pretty good in direct sun light. If this the SAMOLED Adv. display works well in direct sun lite then this is definitely on my short list

Good question. Gorilla glass is like a mirror. The Xoom (sheet of gorilla glass) is virtually un useable in sunlight.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to see this phone in person. I bet the screen is going to be stunning. I don't think the videos I've seen online are doing it justice.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to see this phone in person. I bet the screen is going to be stunning. I don't think the videos I've seen online are doing it justice.

I agree, but like stated above some videos make it look so damn good. At least 2 or 3 I found that are in HD and make that phone look so damn good.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Good question. Gorilla glass is like a mirror. The Xoom (sheet of gorilla glass) is virtually un useable in sunlight.

Im not sure thats gorilla glass causing that.. Im sure every application isnt identical.. but on the fascinate it doesnt affect my useage in direct sunlight, the phone is actually pretty good in direct sunlight as long as the brightness isnt dimmed on the screen.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure thats gorilla glass causing that.. Im sure every application isnt identical.. but on the fascinate it doesnt affect my useage in direct sunlight, the phone is actually pretty good in direct sunlight as long as the brightness isnt dimmed on the screen.

I can use my Droid X1 in sunlight fine with it cranked up to 100%. I think with the Bionic you dont have to do that to see it outside good.

One reason the Bionic is still on my list is outdoor viewing. That, the upcoming update and extended battery option still make the Bionic a decent choice for some folks.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am officially pre ordering and getting car dock! Whoop. Nice articles out more about razr getting ics 6 weeks after nexus comes out. New years here we come!!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It is Pentile. I will tell you I was on the fence about this though... Just shoved it aside for normal pentile garbage until I actually used it. The screen looks amazing, there is no better way to put it. Nothing like the bionic, and honestly I don't see why some still think it doesn't look good.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It is Pentile. I will tell you I was on the fence about this though... Just shoved it aside for normal pentile garbage until I actually used it. The screen looks amazing, there is no better way to put it. Nothing like the bionic, and honestly I don't see why some still think it doesn't look good.

I got a feeling its mostly ppl that ONLY listen to FLAC, lossless audio files, ONLY look at HD channels, ONLY look at Blu Ray movies, etc.

Even with some ppl liking the DX2, D3, Bionic screens, with so many ppl liking the Incredible, Galaxy S 1 screens, liking the Nexus One screen, I have to believe Pentile, in any way, shape or form will only bother a specific type of person.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I got a feeling its mostly ppl that ONLY listen to FLAC, lossless audio files, ONLY look at HD channels, ONLY look at Blu Ray movies, etc.

Even with some ppl liking the DX2, D3, Bionic screens, with so many ppl liking the Incredible, Galaxy S 1 screens, liking the Nexus One screen, I have to believe Pentile, in any way, shape or form will only bother a specific type of person.

Agreed. I really don't like the bionic screen, but the razr doesn't look anything like it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

k_atl

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My guess is the higher the resolution, the less they feel about needing the "plus" and using pentile. Its only advanced because its a super AMOLED with more pixels, but not enough to warrant the HD branding.

I think if you are going to drop $300 bones, there are really 2 options and the Razr isn't one of them. Galaxy Nexus or the HTC Rezound. Both dual core, both with HD screens. I would take the Nexus over the Rezound due to the Super AMOLED HD screen.

Having used a highly tweaked Droid Charge (running the stock 2.3.5, lag fix, overclocked to 1.2ghz with quadrants in the 2500s and a Super AMOLED Plus screen), I'm holding off for a while until this ridiculous hardware race between the manufacturers slows down a bit.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I really don't like the bionic screen, but the razr doesn't look anything like it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

They have a different subpixel layout, hence the different look. The Bionic is RGBW, but the RAZR is RGBG. That makes the pentile far less noticeable. It shows most on solid red, but even then it isn't bad. I played with one on Friday, and I couldn't even tell.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel