Deciding between the razr and nexus

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, if the battery life on a nexus is the same as the RAZR (as I've read elsewhere and believe I saw here?), and the nexus is on ICS already, that tells me the RAZR is the better bet, because I've found insane battery life improvement with ics on my d2g. I can only assume that battery life improvement isn't limited to my phone going from gb to ics, but someone please correct me if I'm making an incorrect assumption.

I couldn't go a full work day without charging my Razr. Had it just under a month. Not having that problem with the Nexus. Though it's only been 4 days.

I think concerns about RAZR battery life should be put at ease when you get ics. My experience is battery life is far better on ICS and since GN is on it already, but the RAZR isn't, so logically it will have increased battery life when it gets ics. Of course, it's the newest phone and if the rollout of gb to the d2g is any indication(it was the last phone to get it), the RAZR won't get it for a while.

I've actually found that the battery life on the RAZR is better than the Nexus. It really depends on what you are doing or course but if I forget the plug the Nexus in at night (or the cable comes loose as has happened more than once) it is completely dead or almost so by morning. If I do the same with the RAZR it still has about 30-40% if the battery.

wildrage

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the RAZR for 2 weeks (just returned it), and the Nexus for 3 weeks (keeping it),

RAZR PROS:

Thinner, nice build quality
Louder speaker
SD Card Slot

RAZR CONS:

Non-removable battery
Position of charge ports (annoys me that its on the top)
Delayed camera shutter

NEXUS PROS

NFC - I love paying for my stuff with my phone...really impresses the 16 year old cashiers (lol)
Screen - Just gorgeous
Removable battery
'Pin' charge contacts (will good for future accessories)
Fast google updates
Unlocked bootloader

NEXUS CONS

No SD Card Slot
Speaker could be louder

In the end, the Nexus just worked better for me. I loved the simplistic design - the black screen looks beautiful without the buttons, and the notification light is unique. I get 17 hours of battery life with 4G and moderate use (45 mins talk time, 300 texts, web surfing, 2 e-mail account syncing, etc., etc.). I don't need a SD card slot, and it's great to be able to take along an extra battery. I think the deciding factor for me was NFC...had the RAZR had NFC out of the box, I may have stuck with it.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
What happens to the capacitive buttons in Razr with ICS? Will it have the onscreen buttons as well? That seems like a significant design change for phones like the Razr.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No. Take a look at the hands on videos with the Nexus S.

Also some videos of Texas Instruments demoing OMAP 5 with ICS. One clip I saw was a dev phone with capacitive buttons.

On a side note...I cant wait til quad core comes to phones...by that time the LTE tech should be better with battery life too.

jcheroske

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a Nexus for over three weeks, but ended up exchanging it for the Razr. I waited weeks for the GN, and wanted it to work out so badly, but in the end it just couldn't do the basic things a phone needs to do.

The main issue with the GN was the quality of the radio. It just couldn't pull in a weak signal. I was also experiencing the data dropout glitch, so with those two issues happening I was always wanting to use it and finding that I had no service. I was also getting lots of dropped calls. My wife has an iPhone and I would constantly ask her if she had coverage and/or data and she always did. Now that I'm on the Razr I'm no longer having any of those problems.

As has been mentioned many times before, the GN has a quiet speaker and poor battery life. The Razr's speaker is not only louder, but much higher quality. And, according to the people I talk to often, I sound clearer to them, so the mic is probably better.

The GN's screen is probably a tad bit nicer, but not enough to matter to me.

The build quality of the Razr is much better than the GN. The phone seems much more durable, and the overall fit and finish are just superior. I also think the Gorilla Glass on the Razr has better optical properties or something. It's just seems like a higher quality device on many levels.

I do want to run CM9, and the GN would have been able to do that with no hacks or anything. I've got my fingers crossed that the Razr will be able to do it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nexus for over three weeks, but ended up exchanging it for the Razr. I waited weeks for the GN, and wanted it to work out so badly, but in the end it just couldn't do the basic things a phone needs to do.

The main issue with the GN was the quality of the radio. It just couldn't pull in a weak signal. I was also experiencing the data dropout glitch, so with those two issues happening I was always wanting to use it and finding that I had no service. I was also getting lots of dropped calls. My wife has an iPhone and I would constantly ask her if she had coverage and/or data and she always did. Now that I'm on the Razr I'm no longer having any of those problems.

As has been mentioned many times before, the GN has a quiet speaker and poor battery life. The Razr's speaker is not only louder, but much higher quality. And, according to the people I talk to often, I sound clearer to them, so the mic is probably better.

The build quality of the Razr is much better than the GN. The phone seems much more durable, and the overall fit and finish are just superior. I also think the Gorilla Glass on the Razr has better optical properties or something. It's just seems like a higher quality device on many levels.

I do want to run CM9, and the GN would have been able to do that with no hacks or anything. I've got my fingers crossed that the Razr will be able to do it.
The build quality on the Razr is better than the GN? What are the criteria you have used to make that determination?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Also some videos of Texas Instruments demoing OMAP 5 with ICS. One clip I saw was a dev phone with capacitive buttons.

On a side note...I cant wait til quad core comes to phones...by that time the LTE tech should be better with battery life too.

So long as the phone manufacturers choose to use battery technology that is decades old and ancient, we will never have batteries that are effective with our phones. Quad core phones are only going to be even greater energy hogs than what we've got now.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So long as the phone manufacturers choose to use battery technology that is decades old and ancient, we will never have batteries that are effective with our phones. Quad core phones are only going to be even greater energy hogs than what we've got now.

You mean how the RAZR has about 5 hours more talk time than the G Nex, and it has a smaller battery?

1780 vs. 1850.

And overall has better battery life vs. the G Nex according to one site that does detailed battery life tests? Or how the Bionic still has the best overall battery life of all the dual core, lte phones on Verizon and has an even smaller battery 1735? of course that will end when the Maxx comes out.

The RAZR battery is about the length and width of the entire phone. The RAZR Maxx is still a relatively thin phone with a huge 3300 battery. Moto is already taking steps in that direction with battery technology. But along with battery tech...Moto does something to their phones to have them near the top for battery life. So its not just the battery tech.

Read up on the Tegra 3 and the 5th core. IF....IF ...Tegra can hit a home run with that....quad core phones might not be that bad on battery life. battery life and heat with be the biggest hurdles.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You mean how the RAZR has about 5 hours more talk time than the G Nex, and it has a smaller battery?

1780 vs. 1850.

And overall has better battery life vs. the G Nex according to one site that does detailed battery life tests? Or how the Bionic still has the best overall battery life of all the dual core, lte phones on Verizon and has an even smaller battery 1735? of course that will end when the Maxx comes out.

The RAZR battery is about the length and width of the entire phone. The RAZR Maxx is still a relatively thin phone with a huge 3300 battery. Moto is already taking steps in that direction with battery technology. But along with battery tech...Moto does something to their phones to have them near the top for battery life. So its not just the battery tech.

Read up on the Tegra 3 and the 5th core. IF....IF ...Tegra can hit a home run with that....quad core phones might not be that bad on battery life. battery life and heat with be the biggest hurdles.

The Razr uses a lithium polymer battery does it not? Again, the battery technology that is used today has been around for a long time. It has not kept pace with the improvement of technology in our phone. How you can even bother disputing that simple fact is amazing.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The Razr uses a lithium polymer battery does it not? Again, the battery technology that is used today has been around for a long time. It has not kept pace with the improvement of technology in our phone. How you can even bother disputing that simple fact is amazing.

Ok...so the fact that it has better battery life with a ....smaller.....battery doesnt mean anything?

Its not just the battery tech....How can you even ignore that fact?

Like I said...Moto is already taking steps in that direction.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site

That is exactly why I kept the Razr when the Nexus came out. I was at the VZW store on launch day with my Razr and receipt in hand. After spending about 30 min comparing the 2 phones side by side, comparing screens, camera, speed, etc, I walked out with my Razr and a new case.

I then went back a week later to give the Nexus another shot since I had until Jan 15th to return/exchange. Nothing changed.

I had my Incredible for almost 2 years and the Razr was the first phone that made me want to switch. There isn't even a phone on the horizon that is making me regret my purchase.

With one update out and another on the way (a leaked version is out right now that improves the camera in low light, improves the data connection even more, and other unknown improvements), it's great to see that Moto is addressing issues as quickly as they are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok...so the fact that it has better battery life with a ....smaller.....battery doesnt mean anything?
Sure it means something. But, it really kind of overlooks my point.
Its not just the battery tech....How can you even ignore that fact?

Like I said..
Really? What new battery technology are they creating? Using the same old technology with slight adjustments to the battery and or the size as is the case with the Maxx is not even remotely innovative, or new.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Sure it means something. But, it really kind of overlooks my point.

Really? What new battery technology are they creating? Using the same old technology with slight adjustments to the battery and or the size as is the case with the Maxx is not even remotely innovative, or new.

But we cant give Moto credit for improving battery life with old tech..... I'm not just talking about the Maxx...I also mentioned the RAZR and Bionic.

But you talk about someone overlooking your point..... I saw your point, Its valid. But look at what Moto's is doing with the old tech. And its not just the battery tech... Moto phones are always near the top for overall battery life for Android phones....thats my point.

We gotta give these manufactures credit where its due for what they do good. Its easy to always blame them for what they dont do good.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
We gotta give these manufactures credit where its due for what they do good. Its easy to always blame them for what they dont do good.

I was a HUGE critic of the non removable battery in this thing but I have to say whatever Moto did it works, even with only two smart actions rules (not syncing when the battery is below a certain percent and low power mode at night) this thing gets better battery life than almost any other phone I have had. I come home from work and my other devices are either dead or almost dead and this one still has 40%.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was a HUGE critic of the non removable battery in this thing but I have to say whatever Moto did it works, even with only two smart actions rules (not syncing when the battery is below a certain percent and low power mode at night) this thing gets better battery life than almost any other phone I have had. I come home from work and my other devices are either dead or almost dead and this one still has 40%.

I gotta agree with you. When I first learned of the non-removable battery I dismissed the Razr out of hand. After reading some reviews and from people here at the forums I quickly changed my mind. I'm getting much better battery life than I expected, much better than my Incredible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk