Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 311
Like Tree62Likes
  1. #26  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    343 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by xoomer1 View Post
    right now, the Bionic is the fastest phone out there, I get around 29 mps downloads at my home, nothing lags on the phone at all....it makes my wifes X seem like a relic...The Bionic is awsome..

    that said, I am keeping my Bionic and getting the wife the Razr...she needs to upgrade that slow X she has.

    I also hope Zumocast will be available for the Razr, that app is great
    Actually, they have rebranded it as Motocast - it does look awesome. Even though I want to carry a lot of multimedia with me it would be great on the road to be able to "switch out" some movies from my home computer.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Having had the Thunderbolt and the Incredible 2 as my last two phones, I've narrowed my next phone search down to the Razr and the Nexus (I'm kind of sick of Sense). To me, there are really only two pros to the Nexus (as far as my personal use goes)...and those are ICS out of the box and the ridiculously fast camera. Other than that, the Razr has the edge (no pun intended). To me, the Razr's positives are:

    better construction (hate samsung's plastics)
    thinner overall (even the gsm nexus is 8.9mm at it's thinnest point)
    hdmi out
    edgier design that I prefer
    removable sd card
    gorilla glass

    So really the only thing that truly could be an issue is stock ICS. I believe that since the Razr is unlocked outside of the US, we'll be able to get it rooted and unlocked pretty quickly, to which we'll be able to go stock ICS without much trouble (hopefully). So that advantage is pretty much gone for the Nexus.

    Anyway, this is my long winded thought process that led me to getting up at 5am PST to preorder this morning. Now I wonder when it will arrive (hopefully before November 10th, lol).
  3. #28  
    THARD11's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Don't forget the much better radios in the Moto I have a Samsung now and they are really lagging behind other brands on radio quality.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by THARD View Post
    Don't forget the much better radios in the Moto I have a Samsung now and they are really lagging behind other brands on radio quality.
    That's quite true. That's one of the main reasons I want to get out of my HTC rut as well. Horrible radios compared to Moto. My Fascinate was pretty bad in that regard too. And yes, I've had nearly every Android phone on Verizon.
  5. #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THARD View Post
    Don't forget the much better radios in the Moto I have a Samsung now and they are really lagging behind other brands on radio quality.
    I remember my Droid x bragging about the dual antenna which was great Cus it helped in some well insulated areas.
    Bobrowe78 likes this.
  6. #31  

    Default

    Does anyone know if the camera speed of the Nexus is from the hardware or ICS? The camera is one of the criteria I am using to try to decide between the two phones.

    Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    I'm surprised more people are not concerned that the battery cannot be removed. I was really interested in the Razr, but I go through 2 batteries a day in my Bionic. And since I am in the field often, I don't always have the luxury of a charger. Otherwise, the phone looks great, especially the display!
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbartu View Post
    I'm surprised more people are not concerned that the battery cannot be removed. I was really interested in the Razr, but I go through 2 batteries a day in my Bionic. And since I am in the field often, I don't always have the luxury of a charger. Otherwise, the phone looks great, especially the display!
    Do you actually turn off your phone and swap batteries? I didn't think anyone did that anymore these days. I don't know it might just be a minority. I still have the original battery in my OG Droid from release day. About a year ago I thought about buying a second battery but decided against it since then you almost have to buy one of those battery chargers. Yeah battery life has gotten worse with the phone's aging but what are you gonna do? I just carry my AC charger with me everywhere and have a car charger.

    The sealed battery is really the only deal breaker for me on the RAZR but I still think I'm going to get it since I really want to have an SD card slot and the Nexus doesn't.
  9. #34  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,244 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    I loved having a battery charger and spare batteries for my Droid X. I did not carry a spare batter the most of the time but it was nice to come home from work and be able to swap batteries and not have to worry about plugging in the rest of the night. Next morning I would wake up and swap the batteries again. So I hardly ever plugged my phone into charge it.
  10. #35  
    dhendriksen's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,093 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,710 Global Posts

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Get a portable micro USB quick charge pack. Charges the phone in like 30the minutes and is the same size as a battery.

    Big deal.
  11. #36  
    mclarryjr's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,766 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    I live off my spare batteries some days there not needed but it's nice to have the option if your away from a charger for a day or more. I have 2 spares and on of them is an extended so between the 3 I can have 48 hours of moderate use. But everyone is not the same so having a built in battery will be fine for most users.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    HTC owners (especially thunderbolt owners) have come used to using spare batteries.. my Fascinate can go all day without a charge.. I've never thought of using a spare battery.

    Wouldnt be planning on buying one even if the motorola had a swappable battery.
  13. #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    HTC owners (especially thunderbolt owners) have come used to using spare batteries.. my Fascinate can go all day without a charge.. I've never thought of using a spare battery.

    Wouldnt be planning on buying one even if the motorola had a swappable battery.
    My extended battery drains rather quickly when watching Netflix on 4G. My friends Bionic with a stock battery lasts him most of the day.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Ive decided to go with the Nexus this time. The only thing I can see that the Razr has over the nexus is the thin/quality/GG build factor...for me at least. And I don't put too much stock in the build quality because I know people that have samsung phones and love them. ICS,NFC, and an unlocked bootloader are just too much for me to overlook. The HDMI out had me concerned, but since the nexus can do it with an adapter, it kind of won me over and decided for me.

    I'm sure either phone would make me completely happy, so if you are on the opposite side of the fence as me, I'm sure the Razr is going to be a great phone. Enjoy!
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Man the more I read about the battery issue the more I lean towards the Nexus even though I really like the RAZR. But the Nexus not having an SD card slot is a deal breaker! Now if the Nexus has 32GB on Verizon, I'll go with it.

    It would be really bad that after 12-16 months with the Razr the battery life starts to die out like my OG Droid did. That would really stink. I've gotten to the point where I charge my OG Droid at least once per day, sometimes twice.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Having to charge your phone once a day is hardly something to complain about..

    You have nothing to worry about the battery tbh.. the only concerned people should be those that plan on hiking or camping and like to swap out a battery because they arent near any where they can charge.

    But like someone already said.. they have portable chargers you can carry with you that is no different then carrying an extra battery.

    I personally like the fact its sealed.. because I wont ever be swapping it out.. I do dislike the fact its sealed simply because it turns some people off from the phone.. but for my own personal use I'm happy its sealed.

    My girl's HTC Rhyme recently showed up.. and we decided to keep her old fascinate around simply because we had alot of treasured pictures and videos on there.. then it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday that I can simply just put her old SD card in her new phone.. she now has all her old pictures and videos on her new phone and is super happy about it.. additionally I was then able to put her flawless Fascinate on ebay (thanks Gorilla Glass!) and I'm hoping to get some money for it.

    Basically.. the G-NEX sucks.. LOL J/K.. but basically the SD card option is priceless.. I have a 16GB SD card loaded with so many great videos and photos and more that I plan on immediately putting into my Razr the day it shows up.. and I wont have to keep an old phone around if I ever wanna watch an old movie I made at a party, or out camping etc.. I'll have that and my hundreds of pictures right along with my new phone.
    cmorty72#AC and paul-c like this.
  17. #42  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Having to charge your phone once a day is hardly something to complain about..

    You have nothing to worry about the battery tbh.. the only concerned people should be those that plan on hiking or camping and like to swap out a battery because they arent near any where they can charge.

    But like someone already said.. they have portable chargers you can carry with you that is no different then carrying an extra battery.

    I personally like the fact its sealed.. because I wont ever be swapping it out.. I do dislike the fact its sealed simply because it turns some people off from the phone.. but for my own personal use I'm happy its sealed.

    My girl's HTC Rhyme recently showed up.. and we decided to keep her old fascinate around simply because we had alot of treasured pictures and videos on there.. then it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday that I can simply just put her old SD card in her new phone.. she now has all her old pictures and videos on her new phone and is super happy about it.. additionally I was then able to put her flawless Fascinate on ebay (thanks Gorilla Glass!) and I'm hoping to get some money for it.

    Basically.. the G-NEX sucks.. LOL J/K.. but basically the SD card option is priceless.. I have a 16GB SD card loaded with so many great videos and photos and more that I plan on immediately putting into my Razr the day it shows up.. and I wont have to keep an old phone around if I ever wanna watch an old movie I made at a party, or out camping etc.. I'll have that and my hundreds of pictures right along with my new phone.
    I would probably keep my thunder bolt in airplane mode to use as an mp3 player. In airplane mode and extended battery will last me a while. Since the radios will be off. Or sell it. To go towards the razr.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    I would probably keep my thunder bolt in airplane mode to use as an mp3 player. In airplane mode and extended battery will last me a while. Since the radios will be off. Or sell it. To go towards the razr.
    I'm selling her Fascinate, And I will keep mine around as a spare incase either of us breaks our new phones.
  19. #44  

    Default

    I would get the Galaxy Nexus. No more phones with UI skins anymore for me.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.
    bkorver likes this.
  21. #46  
    dhendriksen's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,093 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,710 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.
    Blur is so subtle you hardly realize it's there. Nothing like Sense (which I like) or Touchwiz (which I hate). Blur was horrid initially, but that got fixed quickly.
    Thanked by 2:
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Hey I'm a little late to this post, but don't think anybody else make this point. In my opinion, if you were looking at the 4.65 inch screen of the NG as an advantage, the Razr being a little wider is more advantageous in real world because you mostly look at your phone long side up (portrait mode?) so that you need more width to get text to be at a decent size for reading. However, I haven't taken into account that the NG is supposed to have less bezel although my Bionic doesn't have that much bezel neither.

    My big detraction is how box-like these Moto phones are. I know tech nerds like me aren't supposed to care about design but I once had a really pretty Nokia phone and believe me, having something nice to look at just adds that little bit to your daily grind. In that sense, the initial screenshots of the NG made it looked more curvaceous and unique looking especially compared to Iphone, but now the latest photos make it look more just like past Google phones which is still pretty good but not revolutionary. I guess, just wait to see these phones in person.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by jlee91780 View Post
    Hey I'm a little late to this post, but don't think anybody else make this point. In my opinion, if you were looking at the 4.65 inch screen of the NG as an advantage, the Razr being a little wider is more advantageous in real world because you mostly look at your phone long side up (portrait mode?) so that you need more width to get text to be at a decent size for reading. However, I haven't taken into account that the NG is supposed to have less bezel although my Bionic doesn't have that much bezel neither.

    My big detraction is how box-like these Moto phones are. I know tech nerds like me aren't supposed to care about design but I once had a really pretty Nokia phone and believe me, having something nice to look at just adds that little bit to your daily grind. In that sense, the initial screenshots of the NG made it looked more curvaceous and unique looking especially compared to Iphone, but now the latest photos make it look more just like past Google phones which is still pretty good but not revolutionary. I guess, just wait to see these phones in person.
    I completely agree. the original picture of the nexus looked very thin and with a really nice curve on it.. seems like its been altered because I dont find it as sexy anymore.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Basically.. the G-NEX sucks.. LOL J/K.. but basically the SD card option is priceless.. I have a 16GB SD card loaded with so many great videos and photos and more that I plan on immediately putting into my Razr the day it shows up.. and I wont have to keep an old phone around if I ever wanna watch an old movie I made at a party, or out camping etc.. I'll have that and my hundreds of pictures right along with my new phone.
    I agree and would like the SD card option so I could have 64 GB of storage between the 2, but I'm sure you can still put the Nexus into USB storage mode. If I got a new phone, I would copy everything from my Nexus to my computer (it's normally a good idea to backup anyway) and copy from the computer to the new phone. I would only need to do it once anyway. It's not as sexy as popping out the SD card, but it gets the job done. Plus, I've seen situations where an SD card may present conflicts (rare) if it isn't formatted specifically for the new device.

    I got a Palm Pre Plus, that has 16 GB of internal storage, specifically for the free, legal, VZW tethering. I like Web OS but I essentially use it as a 16 GB flash drive. I am assuming the Nexus will have the same capabilities.

    Now, if the VZW Nexus is sold with only 16 GB of storage, things have shifted a little in the RAZRs favor. Cloud storage is cool, but I don't like always needing a data connection (although I have unlimited) to play music. My music collection is more modest and probably in the 5-7 GB range now, so it's convenient to store on an SD card and it saves battery. If the VZW Nexus is locked to 16 GB, I'm definitely going to consider my choices carefully before upgrading.

    Does anyone have any knowledge of battery replacement for non-removable batteries? I was looking at an Iphone 3g video and, while not impossible, it looked to be an extremely delicate process. I don't know if the Iphone 4g is any easier. With the Razr, I would hope it could be done by removing a couple screws and not having to disconnect the touchscreen and circuit board.

    My DX battery is showing it's age, but OEM batteries get cheaper as the phone ages, so I was able to get a new one for around $5 on Ebay. It's just my fault that I haven't made the swap yet, but, for me, having a non-removable battery is a concern, since every battery will eventually need to be replaced. Realistically, any Razr will already be out of warranty when that happens, so I'm not that concerned with voiding the warranty, but I don't want to have to risk damaging my phone. By the time the Razr's battery dies, it's likely I'll have moved on to something else, but many people still use their old phones as MP3 players, wifi tablets, etc and I doubt I would want to pay somebody to replace the battery professionally when I may only use it occasionally, so that's one big plus for the Nexus.

    Complicating things even further, is the fact that I love my DX. It's built solid and very durable. The DX was fortunate to have strong developer support, so they were able to overcome some of what Moto tried to lock down. I've been running a custom ROM forever, so I haven't had to deal with the bugginess of Blur and am sure that the Moto will have strong developer support to ensure it gets it's share of custom ROMs.

    However, I've also never seen what a fully unlocked bootloader can do and never had the ability to install a custom kernel. (For those that have on previous devices, please share your opinions....I want to know) Maybe, that's overrated, but I trust getting updates from Google more than Moto. I also doubt the Razr will ever have the same developer backing that a Nexus would, but if the DX was any indication, it should still be pretty good.

    The radio and antennae concern me as well and I've never used a Samsung device to have any first hand experience, but I've been very happy with Motorola and may have taken them for granted when it comes to signal, call clarity, and wifi connectivity. I know the companies are separate now, but when I see the number of firefighters, police, and transit personnel that use Motorola radios and equipment on a daily basis, I know there must be a reason, and some of that same tech seems to have translated into their ability to make cell phones with great reception.

    I use my current device, the DX, probably 25% as a phone and 75% as a tablet for surfing, streaming, emailing, bill paying etc so I know 4.3" is already nice but 4.65 (Nexus) is better. I don't expect Moto will release anything larger than 4.3 for awhile, so that is one huge benefit for the Nexus. In fact, if the Samsung Note was coming to VZW, I would have to consider it as well. A standard tablet has never had the ability to get unlimited 3g/4g data like a phone can for those that are grandfathered, so screen size is probably more important to me than for others.

    Moto has made it clear that they will offer the ability to unlock the bootloader if the carrier will allow it.
    I know VZW has opted out, but if the Razr will run unlocked on certain carriers globally, I am hoping someone will be able to apply that knowledge and unlock the VZW variety, if only to spite them.

    This will certainly be a tough decision for me either way. Part of me is just waiting to see if the Nexus will really be a true Nexus or if VZW will find a way to muddle it with their own special VZW branding and restrictions. If that happens, I'll probably get the Razr or wait a little longer before upgrading and see what comes around the corner.

    Finally, would we even need this "stupid" pole to begin with if we were talking about the Motorola Razr vs. the Motorola Droid Nexus?

    Honestly, how many people would take a pass on the Razr if it was announced that the new Moto 4G Nexus was coming soon to Verizon? I can only dream for now, but if the merger between Google and Moto goes through and VZW allows future Nexus phones to exist, that would be my total package, even at the expense of a smaller screen
    Last edited by diesteldorf; 10-29-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    paul-c likes this.
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

    ^great post.

    As far as would we even be having this debate if we knew a Droid Nexus was in the pipeline.. I really doubt it. I know for sure I'd wait for it.. and I'm pretty sure everyone waiting for the Galaxy Nexus would rather have it aswell.

    I will own a Nexus device at some point, really love the whole concept.. its kinda like google's greatest strength in my opinion against the iphone.. its a flagship product.

    I'm just not sold on the Galaxy Nexus though.. and I think ICS is going to be received with mixed reviews.. I really think the Razr right now will be the perfect combination of keeping the hardware keys I want.. and Getting ICS right about the time its had its kinks worked out of it.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions