Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

Lol Droid Nexus = heaven

I would have bought it regardless. But, no removable battery, no nfc, no on screen buttons, AND blurred an locked.....As much as I'm a moto fan I have to get the GN, I'm just too nerdy. Good news if I hate it I'll get Moto's first ICS stock device.

I really think they have something in the works, at least a razr style phone with a bigger screen for ICS native on screen buttons.

ROM
    Stock

I just hope we all enjoy the phone we buy!
    Thanked by:

I pre-orderred the Razr over waiting for the Nexus largely because I didn't care for the overall design of the G-Nex. It just looked like too much plastic and not as durable as my OG Droid, so I went with the Razr because I trust the build quality of Motorola products and I'm tired of waiting for a new phone. Plus the Razr's cons are not something I really care about (non-removable battery, locked bootloader, blur, etc.)

Granted I would much prefer as stock ICS device, but at the end of the day quality hardware is more important than fancy new software to me. Plus I don't mind waiting for the ICS update next year for the Razr. Ultimately I really want something to hold me over until Motorola comes out with a Nexus device of its own and the Razr will be able to do that even if it takes a couple of years for a Moto-Nex to come out.
    TvTechGuru, philly and AZDROIDX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.
    HD screen, ICS, larger screen. As for the GPS, we can't speculate on the performance of either.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.

ROM
    Rooted Stock

Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.

It's no longer called Motoblur actually. They did away with that name a few months ago. It's got some new long name that shouldn't even be considered name and I can't even remember. I personally like "The UI formally known as Blur." They also made some nice improvements to it.

edit: Motorola Applications Platform I believe is the correct name now.
    Last edited by milkshed27; 10-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by zhawks View Post
    I pre-orderred the Razr over waiting for the Nexus largely because I didn't care for the overall design of the G-Nex. It just looked like too much plastic and not as durable as my OG Droid, so I went with the Razr because I trust the build quality of Motorola products and I'm tired of waiting for a new phone. Plus the Razr's cons are not something I really care about (non-removable battery, locked bootloader, blur, etc.)

Granted I would much prefer as stock ICS device, but at the end of the day quality hardware is more important than fancy new software to me. Plus I don't mind waiting for the ICS update next year for the Razr. Ultimately I really want something to hold me over until Motorola comes out with a Nexus device of its own and the Razr will be able to do that even if it takes a couple of years for a Moto-Nex to come out.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on ICS coming to the RAZR anytime soon. The estimates for rolling out updates such as those are almost always wrong. So I hope you like Gingerbread, because that is what you will more than likely be using for a while.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    HD screen, ICS, larger screen. As for the GPS, we can't speculate on the performance of either.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    No ICS on the RAZR.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    No ICS on the RAZR.
    He was referring to the GN.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on ICS coming to the RAZR anytime soon. The estimates for rolling out updates such as those are almost always wrong. So I hope you like Gingerbread, because that is what you will more than likely be using for a while.
    Good solid facts you provided, I guess I should whine that you are posting something negative about the Razr in the Razr forum.. seems to be the trend if you post anything but glowing positive posts about the Nexus in that forum.

But anyhow.. from what Ive seen out of all major Android Handset Manufacturers.. Motorola has been the best at providing quick updates.

Honestly the SAMSUNG GALAXY Nexus phone will be nice.. but like most sane people who owned either an Galaxy S phone, or a Samsung Charge (samsungs first LTE phone) they are steering clear of Samsung for good reasons.

If you get lost dont bother with your GPS.. call me up.. Ill come find you and with my Moto we can get you home safe and sound.

Good solid facts you provided, I guess I should whine that you are posting something negative about the Razr in the Razr forum.. seems to be the trend if you post anything but glowing positive posts about the Nexus in that forum.

But anyhow.. from what Ive seen out of all major Android Handset Manufacturers.. Motorola has been the best at providing quick updates.

Honestly the SAMSUNG GALAXY Nexus phone will be nice.. but like most sane people who owned either an Galaxy S phone, or a Samsung Charge (samsungs first LTE phone) they are steering clear of Samsung for good reasons.

If you get lost dont bother with your GPS.. call me up.. Ill come find you and with my Moto we can get you home safe and sound.
    Lol haters are gonna hate...

I think alot of people are going to be surprised with the bugs of a developers phone. I have a Xoom that's updated from Google. With every update you get new bugs with none of the old ones being fix. The bugs usually found in manufactures UI its the originals showing though.

The Xoom is a good example of Google's work. Inside the USA you can only read the SD card, outside the USA where the xoom gets its updates from Motorola they can read and write to SD. They are version 3.1, we are version 3.2 but they still have a more functional device and we have a......higher number?

With Google's latest release version 3.2.1 for the xoom 3g we got this...

I think my Xoom is screwed!!1

Motorola will fix this before they release a newer version of honeycomb. Plus know one knows what the update did. People want the biggest number but have no idea what it actually does. Point is the latest and greatest isn't the best esp. when the purpose of the device is for Guinea pigs... :-)

I'm still going to get the GN because I enjoy tinkering and figuring things out. But being that all my devices are developer phones and tablets I have a back up dumb phone.... :-)
    Thanked by:
    philly 
    philly likes this.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

This is one thing I think about when thinking of the non removable battery...

I pull a lot of my phones out of the closet to play with or use as a backup. Usually after a year or so of no charging and such the battery won't hold a charge or just might hold one but minimal. Its a stupid small thing I know but this thing will be useless in that case.

Just my thoughts.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

Quote Originally Posted by altimax98 View Post

I pull a lot of my phones out of the closet to play with or use as a backup. Usually after a year or so of no charging and such the battery won't hold a charge or just might hold one but minimal. Its a stupid small thing I know but this thing will be useless in that case.

Just my thoughts.
    I thought about this as well. I ultimately decided that when the battery eventually dies down the road, I probably wouldn't bother buying a new battery anyways. If the thing serves it's purpose for the duration of the contract then it's money well spent.

My older phones still seem to hold a decent charge even after sitting in the closet somewhere.

ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by altimax98 View Post

Just my thoughts.

Batteries should be stored at 40% state of charge to minimize capacity loss. The 3rd chart in this link should give you more info.

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Get a portable micro USB quick charge pack. Charges the phone in like 30the minutes and is the same size as a battery.

Big deal.
    The portable micro USB chargers are not much bigger than a spare battery. I hate taking the covers off my phone to change batteries. Carry that and have a car charger for both. I love the fact that a sealed battery makes the phone thinner and lighter.
    Thanked by:

So you're saying we should only let our batteries get down to 40% and then re-charge?

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    So you're saying we should only let our batteries get down to 40% and then re-charge?
    That would be best. Pretty difficult to do though. If you only ran the power down to 40% before it was convenient to charge you wouldn't be worrying about the battery...

It seems to me that ICS is overrated and motoblur or whatever you want to call it might actually be worth having. Just consider the differences. Moto Droid Razr:

What looks like a truly amazing battery smart actions app which allows me to customize what my phone does based on time of day OR location OR both. Plus an app that lets me stream from either my work or home pc whenever I want to, wherever I am, including the option to move files or stream them whichever I want. PLUS an amazing laptop dock that turns my phone into a satellite lappy while it charges the much talked about but to me not feared unreplaceable battery.

With Gnex I can have facial recognition that doesn't always work, and even if it did, I do not want (I much prefer the protection of the encryption built into the razr combined with a secure unlock motion like I ALREADY HAVE on my OG droid. Plus ICS right now instead of in four months (or six months for that matter). Plus NFC to pay for things with my phone. As for NFC I have no desire to buy things with my phone, or to "touch" my phone with another similarly equipped phone and transfer contacts or files. I had this capability Palm 'beaming' years ago and found to be a party trick for the most part. And to be fair, GNex is more workable for custom roms, etc.

For me the razr hardware was already the reason which drew me to moto. Radio. Tough build. Gorilla. Kevlar. Water resist.

It is an easy choice for me. I think I can understand why others disagree, but for me ICS is just not that impressive, the higher res screen not noticeably better enough, and the wow factor of facial recog. or NFC just seem like fun but essentially useless additions to my real world. I LIKE the moto apps that are included (and if I don't, I will simply hide them). That's why I preordered a razr, and look about every day to check to see if it shipped!

Each to his/her own choice, just explaining mine.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    TvTechGuru, philly and paul-c like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yoopermjm View Post
    It seems to me that ICS is overrated and motoblur or whatever you want to call it might actually be worth having. Just consider the differences. Moto Droid Razr:

What looks like a truly amazing battery smart actions app which allows me to customize what my phone does based on time of day OR location OR both. Plus an app that lets me stream from either my work or home pc whenever I want to, wherever I am, including the option to move files or stream them whichever I want. PLUS an amazing laptop dock that turns my phone into a satellite lappy while it charges the much talked about but to me not feared unreplaceable battery.

With Gnex I can have facial recognition that doesn't always work, and even if it did, I do not want (I much prefer the protection of the encryption built into the razr combined with a secure unlock motion like I ALREADY HAVE on my OG droid. Plus ICS right now instead of in four months (or six months for that matter). Plus NFC to pay for things with my phone. As for NFC I have no desire to buy things with my phone, or to "touch" my phone with another similarly equipped phone and transfer contacts or files. I had this capability Palm 'beaming' years ago and found to be a party trick for the most part. And to be fair, GNex is more workable for custom roms, etc.

For me the razr hardware was already the reason which drew me to moto. Radio. Tough build. Gorilla. Kevlar. Water resist.

It is an easy choice for me. I think I can understand why others disagree, but for me ICS is just not that impressive, the higher res screen not noticeably better enough, and the wow factor of facial recog. or NFC just seem like fun but essentially useless additions to my real world. I LIKE the moto apps that are included (and if I don't, I will simply hide them). That's why I preordered a razr, and look about every day to check to see if it shipped!

Each to his/her own choice, just explaining mine.
    almost exactly my thought process on this.

and to add fuel to the fire they are posting in the nexus section that the battery life "SUCKS!!!".

I really think the Razr is going to upset some haters.
    TvTechGuru likes this.

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Get a portable micro USB quick charge pack. Charges the phone in like 30the minutes and is the same size as a battery.

Big deal.
    Agree 100%!!!!!!

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

And you know what else - why is that most people on this forum feel the need to put down other peoples choices in order to validate their own (that includes all fanboys hating on the iPhone or Apple fanboys hating on everyone else). I wish people would just post objective reasons on why they bought, will buy or won't buy a particular phone. Personally, I have been with Verizon for over 8 years, have had great customer service when I need to call them (short waits and everyone speaks English), good rates after a corporate discount (I'm paying $80/month for 2 phones, 700 minutes, one with unlimited data and the other (the wife's not interested in a smartphone) a dumb phone. I don't need more than 700 because a lot of people I call are on Verizon and saves me minutes. On grandfathering, I have had this 700 minute plan (doesn't exist any more) because it's been grandfathered in and never had a problem keeping it. I expect to keep my unlimited data plan for a long time (although I fully expect that if I use a ton of data if I ever get LTE (I'm pretty small town rural) that I could get throttled. I feel like Verizon has not had that many high end phones and I'm ecstatic that we are going to THREE great LTE phones from the top three OEMs. By the way not really worried about BLUR on the RAZR - looks like it actually adds some value with e-mail encryption app, Motocast sounds great and they also allow you to get rid of bloatware (at least out of sight) with their current launcher. Not worried about ICS (if I don't like their launcher there's plenty of others - in fact, I think I read Launcher Pro has a way to look like ICS.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's my objective reasoning for buying a Razr over the Rezound and the GNex. It's my money and it's the one I want. It really is that easy. I have had HTC phones almost exclusively for the last 10 years or so. I don't think the Rezound is a huge improvement over the TBolt. Yeah, it's dual core, but for what I do with it that isn't a selling point FOR ME. After watching my wife flip out because her gps takes forever to lock on, (I think it's very telling that the GNex needs a barometer for gps assistance) the gps is one of my most heavily used features.

I am looking forward to having a phone with a great radio (something else I question in the competition given my experience with both), a usable gps, a passable camera, and plenty of juice to run the lapdock. I don't need a laptop, the one I have I only use for browsing anyway. My heavy lifting is done by my desktop. ICS is kind of a non factor as well, as I've heard Moto say it's coming. I can wait. I've made it this long on Gingerbread, I can wait a couple months more.
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Thanked by:
    cmorty72#AC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    And you know what else - why is that most people on this forum feel the need to put down other peoples choices in order to validate their own (that includes all fanboys hating on the iPhone or Apple fanboys hating on everyone else). I wish people would just post objective reasons on why they bought, will buy or won't buy a particular phone.
    I agree with you 100% on this!! That's what I wish for every topic of discussion on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    ICS is kind of a non factor as well, as I've heard Moto say it's coming. I can wait. I've made it this long on Gingerbread, I can wait a couple months more.
    I feel the same way. Heck I still have the OG Droid from release day! And I'm running Froyo 2.2.2 and I don't mind at all! I don't know why people are obsessed with having the latest Android OS!? I'd rather have a stable one that's been tweaked and the kinks worked out.

I'm going for the Razr because honestly I like the design and unique features compared to the Nexus. AND, I can wait a few months for ICS. Heck for me Gingergread 2.3.5 and all that the Razr has to offer will be a big upgrade coming from my OG Droid.
    bkorver and philly like this.

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    I agree with you 100% on this!! That's what I wish for every topic of discussion on this forum!
    I buy Motorola for one reason mainly, RADIO RADIO RADIO!! Call reception had always been spectacular.

But I'm with you on your statement
    philly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldO View Post
    I buy Motorola for one reason mainly, RADIO RADIO RADIO!! Call reception had always been spectacular.

But I'm with you on your statement
    I'll second you on that, Motorola phones have always had quality radio's and reception. Call quality and reliability in conjunction with the network their running on have been rock solid. Even way back to the old iDEN Nextel phones they made that I had for years.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast