Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    Carrier
    what's wrong with stock?

Default Re: Deciding between the razr and nexus

Quote Originally Posted by mripirate View Post
    is it an issue to get the nexus which was "made for" ice cream sandwich, or get the razr which can be upgraded to ice cream sandwich in 2012??
    Perhaps you haven seen it yet but Motorola has stated that the Bionic, Nexus, and Xoom will get ICS within 6 weeks of the final code being released by Google so while it may not be till 2012 it will be EARLY 2010. Yes I know you cant always depend on these timetables being exact but it does mean it is a high priority for Moto and VZW.

Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Perhaps you haven seen it yet but Motorola has stated that the Bionic, Nexus, and Xoom will get ICS within 6 weeks of the final code being released by Google so while it may not be till 2012 it will be EARLY 2010. Yes I know you cant always depend on these timetables being exact but it does mean it is a high priority for Moto and VZW.
    Motorola and VZW are great at flapping their gums on things like this. Their follow through stinks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,283 Global Posts
    Carrier
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Motorola and VZW are great at flapping their gums on things like this. Their follow through stinks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Actually Motorola and HTC are usually among the first devices to get upgrades. The screwed up Droid X Gingerbread this year spooked then and some of their other upgrades got delayed while they fured out what they needed to fix but even with those delays they got updates before Samsung and LG for example. I'm not worried. Will it be exactly 6 weeks? I doubt it except maybe for the Xoom since there are absolutely no customizations there but the other two wont be far behind.
    jroc likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

just got the razr today, so far it has not gotten hot, I can say that my droid X used to get REALLY hot if I played alot of games on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    RAZR overclocked out of the box?

This thread says different, I've seen it talked about i several different places. Razr is overclocked 4430 and gn is underclocked 4460. Whether is's true or not, the tech reviews are saying it is overheating easily. I'm not saying the 4430 is casuing the heat issue, and I am not sure if the unit getting hot is anything to worry about, I am just wondering if the 4430 is overclocked to 1.2 what kind of issues could that cause?

Motorola Droid RAZR Review: So Close, Yet So Far | TechCrunch Here is one review that talks about overheating.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #105  

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

I will try my camera tomorrow, but I can say this thing rocks

Quote Originally Posted by sublimewade View Post
    Any different news out there?

Quote Originally Posted by xoomer1 View Post
    just got the razr today, so far it has not gotten hot, I can say that my droid X used to get REALLY hot if I played alot of games on it.
    Good news, I'm going to give it a couple of days and if the reviews keep coming in good, I'm going to pick one up

I wouldnt say overheating, screen does get warm tho. Phone doesnt get any hotter than my D1 and DX1 playing games or using Netflix. I think the issue is the heat can be felt from coming from the screen.

Overheating would cause the phone to reboot....or should as that sould be a safety feature of overheating.

I left my first impressions in a thread already, so no need for me to keep reposting it...lol. I'll just keep adding to that thread. So far after 1 day it seems to be a keeper.

So far I got:

Fastest updates to latest OS? Nexus.

Nice phone materials, outer hardware? RAZR.

Cpu, gpu? Nexus but...its not like the RAZR is a slouch..lol.

Reception and battery life remains to be seen since the Nexus isnt out yet. But...the RAZR is getting better reception than my Droid X1, which has very nice reception.

Camera features, multimedia? This is gonna be a toss up IMO. The docks for the RAZR vs. the camera of the Nexus. The RAZR does take fast pics and focuses fast tho, so again its no slouch in that dept. The RAZR has a loud speaker, definitely liking that. Notification light is easy to see.

UI? Moto has done some good things with Blur....I REALLY wanna get my hands on ICS like right now...lol. I'm gonna say a toss up for right now.

Bottom line: it will be a nice choice whichever way you go. Nice times to be in the market for a new phone now and next year.

How's the camera and battery compare to a DROID x?

Quote Originally Posted by xoomer1 View Post
    it was sluggish, would lock up all the time, every couple of weeks it would freeze up so bad that I could not even reboot it, it would freeze up at the samsung logo, since the battery could not be removed, I would have to wait untill the battery ran all the way down, then charge it and then get it working. it was horrible....it needed different software but never got an upgrade. (the verizon version)
    I had the 7 inch tab and it was pretty cool. I was considering the Razr but startrd reading about the Nexus. Im gonna wait. The Razr was nice n I did like the way it felt in my hand. Awesome screen it blows my Droid Charges screen out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by cordoni View Post
    Samsung radios tend to be the weakest of the major brands. My old fascinate proved this in spades, as does my co-workers charge.

Sent from my CM7 Thunderbolt, AOSP.
    Thats exactly what I want to see. Which phone has the better radio. Im thinking better radio equals better mobile hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by sublimewade View Post
    How's the camera and battery compare to a DROID x?
    The camera is much better than the X. In low light the X's camera would be terrible - and you would get this weird blue tint in the photo. RAZR camera is faster and better quality pics.

Can't really compare the battery since I've only been using the RAZR on 4G but I have no problems with it yet. Was on 4G for 10 - 11 hours today and still had 20% batter left. Had about an hour and a half of WiFi before that.

Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

Just got mine. Phone plays Transformers 3 blue ray, 1080p in mkv file form perfect. My thunderbolt couldn't play it.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Actually being I had no problems with my SF or my Charge, this is helping to steer me to the Nexus.
    If you want to see ICS in action, you can call us

Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Good.. but like most sane people who owned either an Galaxy S phone, or a Samsung Charge (samsungs first LTE phone) they are steering clear of Samsung for good reasons.

If you get lost dont bother with your GPS.. call me up.. Ill come find you and with my Moto we can get you home safe and sound.

I purchased the Razr last night and this morning I returned it for a full refund. First, this is just MY preference/opinion: It's too square. I was told that I looked like I was holding a calculator up to my ear. The Green "tint" to the screen on low level was really annoying me which is weird because i don't mind the ips screen of the bionic but that tint was getting to me. The data drop outs that the Razr has as well: this was a MAJOR reason why I returned it because I purchased the Razr to replace the Bionic because I need a reliable data connection. If the Razr has the same problem I may as well save my cash and suffer with one phone rather than two of them.

I am going to wait for the Nexus to see how that is. Yes it is a bit bigger but it has more "roundness" to it (no sharp corners like the Razr) plus I would love to use the ICS on it.
    Android OG

Carrier
    Stock

I went to the Verizon store today and played with the Razr. I am a huge Motorola fan. I freakin love my DroidX. However, I have some gripes with the Razr. When the brightness is turned down a greenish tint cascades over the screen and it becomes very noticeable when the screen brightness is on the lowest possible. Its almost as if the phone goes into night vision mode. Now thats not an issue if your phone is always on maximum brightness, its a beautiful screen, but if you like to save battery, a great way to do so is by reducing your screen's brightness and by doing this on the Razr it changes the color of the screen in addition to dimming it, not cool. The kevlar... Its nice but i thought it would feel better. I actually prefer the soft touch paint that they used on the DroidX, and Bionic and i love how that feel wraps around the sides of my X so that when i'm holding the phone and moving it around in my hand I can feel the milky smoothness. My next point... and yes I have to go there on this one, the sides of this phone feel like plastic, so the argument that Moto build quality on this phone being better than galaxy nexus might go to crap when the nexus comes if it feels stronger than the Razr. I was disappointed. The materials they used to make the Droid X were very nice. Its solid. But Moto wanted to go on this thin and lightweight kick with the Razr and to be honest I don't like my phones (or my women) to be that lightweight and thin. I felt like I was holding a kids toy. Performance wise its wonderful. Its very snappy when switching screens and opening and closing the app drawer. It scrolls nicely. The camera is great, it opens and closes with little to no lag and it takes pictures so well that I thought the phone was on multi shot when it was single. Personally I'm gonna skip this device. On to the next one... I'll be there checking out the Rezound/Vigor Monday and the Nexus whenever it drops. But as far as the Razr goes, Motorola did not impress me with its build quality on this phone.

It's aluminum -- not plastic.

Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

I think the outside is plastic, but the inner frame is diamond cut aluminum

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kenshell View Post
    Actually being I had no problems with my SF or my Charge, this is helping to steer me to the Nexus.
    If you want to see ICS in action, you can call us
    The deal breaker for me. I was reading everyones initial impressions of the Razr after going to see it earlier in the day on release. So I went back to the store that night to pick one up.
    I was using the Droid Charge and will go back to it and wait for the Nexus.
    Here is the main reason why.
    The mobile hotspot feature.....
    I have a Samsung Gtab 10.1" and I recently purchased a very graphic intensive mmo rpg game for it call Order&Chaos. Sometimes I use my mobile hotspot to play it.
    On the Charge it worked occasionaly hanging and then I would have to quit the game and log back on but it workexd. But on the Razr after I hit the login it would just hang on the connect screen. Thought it might have been the Gameloft server. But as soon as I connected to my home router the game started right up.
    I thought the dual core processor and the moto radio would offer better performance on thw mobile hotspot but it didnt.
    Other than that the phone overall is a nice piece of hardware. Was hoping to go back to moto. But back to my Charge until the Nexus comes out. Oh just to let u know that the hotspot worked well on web surfing. But when it came to the game mmo rpg no go.....

After spending time with the Razr in the store I'm going to pick one up this week. I have been going back and forth and skeptical of the Razr but my hands on convinced me.

Samsung radios are inferior to HTC and Moto radios and after all, if the phone can't connect, it's useless.

I didn't notice any of the Pentile or green screen issues so I'm thinking that Sammy put out some bad screens that made it into the Razr.

The two features that were swaying me to the GN were USB on the Go and the camera. The Razr has a very nice camera for a phone and the Razr also supports IDB OTG.

I'm sold! After all, I'm still happy with my 2 year old DINC and it's really outdated. It's just time for a change.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Up until a couple of days ago I was all about the Nexus. It was all about ICS for me. Stopped by the Verizon store and started messing with the Razr which led me to start researching. Ended up purchasing the Razr last night. One reason it ended up being my choice was the Lapdock (which I purchased). I'm a train commuter and being able to do work, control my phone and have a full Firefox browser....without a tethering charge....is a win for me. Plus, because of the whole non-removable battery thing, the Lapdock charges your phone while it's plugged in.

The Lapdock 100 works well but I'm sure I will pick up the Lapdock 500 when it's available.
    stevenjeff likes this.

Global Posts
    1,389 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by drez View Post
    Up until a couple of days ago I was all about the Nexus. It was all about ICS for me. Stopped by the Verizon store and started messing with the Razr which led me to start researching. Ended up purchasing the Razr last night. One reason it ended up being my choice was the Lapdock (which I purchased). I'm a train commuter and being able to do work, control my phone and have a full Firefox browser....without a tethering charge....is a win for me. Plus, because of the whole non-removable battery thing, the Lapdock charges your phone while it's plugged in.

The Lapdock 100 works well but I'm sure I will pick up the Lapdock 500 when it's available.
    Nice. I want a lapdock too, I am a student. It is half the size of my laptop and has all the functionality I need at the moment.

I hear ya, I am so done with the "protector condoms" as you call them, LOL. Ever since I took off my screen protector on my Droid 1 it is much better.

I agree, the construction, hdmi out and radio are all better than GN. The only thing that bothers me is some of the stuff I read out there about the RAZR display being greenish and text being pixelated and the camera lag and poor video. I wonder though are these just nit picky comments and as a normal user I probably won't care.

Surely you are aware of the Costco deal with the accessories they throw in, one of them being a battery pack that could also easily fit in your pocket.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    I agree, the construction, hdmi out and radio are all better than GN. The only thing that bothers me is some of the stuff I read out there about the RAZR display being greenish and text being pixelated and the camera lag and poor video. I wonder though are these just nit picky comments and as a normal user I probably won't care.
    Not sure this helps but I have none of those issues. The screen is great. Camera lag is not an issue. I haven't tried video recording yet.

I read the "greenish" claims and was worried too but again no issues here. Its a VERY good device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast