Deciding between the razr and nexus

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Having to charge your phone once a day is hardly something to complain about..

You have nothing to worry about the battery tbh.. the only concerned people should be those that plan on hiking or camping and like to swap out a battery because they arent near any where they can charge.

But like someone already said.. they have portable chargers you can carry with you that is no different then carrying an extra battery.

I personally like the fact its sealed.. because I wont ever be swapping it out.. I do dislike the fact its sealed simply because it turns some people off from the phone.. but for my own personal use I'm happy its sealed.

My girl's HTC Rhyme recently showed up.. and we decided to keep her old fascinate around simply because we had alot of treasured pictures and videos on there.. then it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday that I can simply just put her old SD card in her new phone.. she now has all her old pictures and videos on her new phone and is super happy about it.. additionally I was then able to put her flawless Fascinate on ebay (thanks Gorilla Glass!) and I'm hoping to get some money for it.

Basically.. the G-NEX sucks.. LOL J/K.. but basically the SD card option is priceless.. I have a 16GB SD card loaded with so many great videos and photos and more that I plan on immediately putting into my Razr the day it shows up.. and I wont have to keep an old phone around if I ever wanna watch an old movie I made at a party, or out camping etc.. I'll have that and my hundreds of pictures right along with my new phone.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Having to charge your phone once a day is hardly something to complain about..

You have nothing to worry about the battery tbh.. the only concerned people should be those that plan on hiking or camping and like to swap out a battery because they arent near any where they can charge.

But like someone already said.. they have portable chargers you can carry with you that is no different then carrying an extra battery.

I personally like the fact its sealed.. because I wont ever be swapping it out.. I do dislike the fact its sealed simply because it turns some people off from the phone.. but for my own personal use I'm happy its sealed.

My girl's HTC Rhyme recently showed up.. and we decided to keep her old fascinate around simply because we had alot of treasured pictures and videos on there.. then it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday that I can simply just put her old SD card in her new phone.. she now has all her old pictures and videos on her new phone and is super happy about it.. additionally I was then able to put her flawless Fascinate on ebay (thanks Gorilla Glass!) and I'm hoping to get some money for it.

Basically.. the G-NEX sucks.. LOL J/K.. but basically the SD card option is priceless.. I have a 16GB SD card loaded with so many great videos and photos and more that I plan on immediately putting into my Razr the day it shows up.. and I wont have to keep an old phone around if I ever wanna watch an old movie I made at a party, or out camping etc.. I'll have that and my hundreds of pictures right along with my new phone.

I would probably keep my thunder bolt in airplane mode to use as an mp3 player. In airplane mode and extended battery will last me a while. Since the radios will be off. Or sell it. To go towards the razr.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I would probably keep my thunder bolt in airplane mode to use as an mp3 player. In airplane mode and extended battery will last me a while. Since the radios will be off. Or sell it. To go towards the razr.

I'm selling her Fascinate, And I will keep mine around as a spare incase either of us breaks our new phones.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sd slot, hardware keys, good radio, working gps, gorilla glass, moto build quality, and a few other personal preferences of mine mean more then having to deal with blur. Ive never tried blur.. Hopefully its not awful. Touchwiz and sense dont bother me anymore. looking forward to the ics update.

Blur is so subtle you hardly realize it's there. Nothing like Sense (which I like) or Touchwiz (which I hate). Blur was horrid initially, but that got fixed quickly.

Reactions: philly and delco714

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey I'm a little late to this post, but don't think anybody else make this point. In my opinion, if you were looking at the 4.65 inch screen of the NG as an advantage, the Razr being a little wider is more advantageous in real world because you mostly look at your phone long side up (portrait mode?) so that you need more width to get text to be at a decent size for reading. However, I haven't taken into account that the NG is supposed to have less bezel although my Bionic doesn't have that much bezel neither.

My big detraction is how box-like these Moto phones are. I know tech nerds like me aren't supposed to care about design but I once had a really pretty Nokia phone and believe me, having something nice to look at just adds that little bit to your daily grind. In that sense, the initial screenshots of the NG made it looked more curvaceous and unique looking especially compared to Iphone, but now the latest photos make it look more just like past Google phones which is still pretty good but not revolutionary. I guess, just wait to see these phones in person.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey I'm a little late to this post, but don't think anybody else make this point. In my opinion, if you were looking at the 4.65 inch screen of the NG as an advantage, the Razr being a little wider is more advantageous in real world because you mostly look at your phone long side up (portrait mode?) so that you need more width to get text to be at a decent size for reading. However, I haven't taken into account that the NG is supposed to have less bezel although my Bionic doesn't have that much bezel neither.

My big detraction is how box-like these Moto phones are. I know tech nerds like me aren't supposed to care about design but I once had a really pretty Nokia phone and believe me, having something nice to look at just adds that little bit to your daily grind. In that sense, the initial screenshots of the NG made it looked more curvaceous and unique looking especially compared to Iphone, but now the latest photos make it look more just like past Google phones which is still pretty good but not revolutionary. I guess, just wait to see these phones in person.

I completely agree. the original picture of the nexus looked very thin and with a really nice curve on it.. seems like its been altered because I dont find it as sexy anymore.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I agree and would like the SD card option so I could have 64 GB of storage between the 2, but I'm sure you can still put the Nexus into USB storage mode. If I got a new phone, I would copy everything from my Nexus to my computer (it's normally a good idea to backup anyway) and copy from the computer to the new phone. I would only need to do it once anyway. It's not as sexy as popping out the SD card, but it gets the job done. Plus, I've seen situations where an SD card may present conflicts (rare) if it isn't formatted specifically for the new device.

I got a Palm Pre Plus, that has 16 GB of internal storage, specifically for the free, legal, VZW tethering. I like Web OS but I essentially use it as a 16 GB flash drive. I am assuming the Nexus will have the same capabilities.

Now, if the VZW Nexus is sold with only 16 GB of storage, things have shifted a little in the RAZRs favor. Cloud storage is cool, but I don't like always needing a data connection (although I have unlimited) to play music. My music collection is more modest and probably in the 5-7 GB range now, so it's convenient to store on an SD card and it saves battery. If the VZW Nexus is locked to 16 GB, I'm definitely going to consider my choices carefully before upgrading.

Does anyone have any knowledge of battery replacement for non-removable batteries? I was looking at an Iphone 3g video and, while not impossible, it looked to be an extremely delicate process. I don't know if the Iphone 4g is any easier. With the Razr, I would hope it could be done by removing a couple screws and not having to disconnect the touchscreen and circuit board.

My DX battery is showing it's age, but OEM batteries get cheaper as the phone ages, so I was able to get a new one for around $5 on Ebay. It's just my fault that I haven't made the swap yet, but, for me, having a non-removable battery is a concern, since every battery will eventually need to be replaced. Realistically, any Razr will already be out of warranty when that happens, so I'm not that concerned with voiding the warranty, but I don't want to have to risk damaging my phone. By the time the Razr's battery dies, it's likely I'll have moved on to something else, but many people still use their old phones as MP3 players, wifi tablets, etc and I doubt I would want to pay somebody to replace the battery professionally when I may only use it occasionally, so that's one big plus for the Nexus.

Complicating things even further, is the fact that I love my DX. It's built solid and very durable. The DX was fortunate to have strong developer support, so they were able to overcome some of what Moto tried to lock down. I've been running a custom ROM forever, so I haven't had to deal with the bugginess of Blur and am sure that the Moto will have strong developer support to ensure it gets it's share of custom ROMs.

However, I've also never seen what a fully unlocked bootloader can do and never had the ability to install a custom kernel. (For those that have on previous devices, please share your opinions....I want to know) Maybe, that's overrated, but I trust getting updates from Google more than Moto. I also doubt the Razr will ever have the same developer backing that a Nexus would, but if the DX was any indication, it should still be pretty good.

The radio and antennae concern me as well and I've never used a Samsung device to have any first hand experience, but I've been very happy with Motorola and may have taken them for granted when it comes to signal, call clarity, and wifi connectivity. I know the companies are separate now, but when I see the number of firefighters, police, and transit personnel that use Motorola radios and equipment on a daily basis, I know there must be a reason, and some of that same tech seems to have translated into their ability to make cell phones with great reception.

I use my current device, the DX, probably 25% as a phone and 75% as a tablet for surfing, streaming, emailing, bill paying etc so I know 4.3" is already nice but 4.65 (Nexus) is better. I don't expect Moto will release anything larger than 4.3 for awhile, so that is one huge benefit for the Nexus. In fact, if the Samsung Note was coming to VZW, I would have to consider it as well. A standard tablet has never had the ability to get unlimited 3g/4g data like a phone can for those that are grandfathered, so screen size is probably more important to me than for others.

Moto has made it clear that they will offer the ability to unlock the bootloader if the carrier will allow it.
I know VZW has opted out, but if the Razr will run unlocked on certain carriers globally, I am hoping someone will be able to apply that knowledge and unlock the VZW variety, if only to spite them.

This will certainly be a tough decision for me either way. Part of me is just waiting to see if the Nexus will really be a true Nexus or if VZW will find a way to muddle it with their own special VZW branding and restrictions. If that happens, I'll probably get the Razr or wait a little longer before upgrading and see what comes around the corner.

Finally, would we even need this "stupid" :) pole to begin with if we were talking about the Motorola Razr vs. the Motorola Droid Nexus?

Honestly, how many people would take a pass on the Razr if it was announced that the new Moto 4G Nexus was coming soon to Verizon? I can only dream for now, but if the merger between Google and Moto goes through and VZW allows future Nexus phones to exist, that would be my total package, even at the expense of a smaller screen :)

Last edited:

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
^great post.

As far as would we even be having this debate if we knew a Droid Nexus was in the pipeline.. I really doubt it. I know for sure I'd wait for it.. and I'm pretty sure everyone waiting for the Galaxy Nexus would rather have it aswell.

I will own a Nexus device at some point, really love the whole concept.. its kinda like google's greatest strength in my opinion against the iphone.. its a flagship product.

I'm just not sold on the Galaxy Nexus though.. and I think ICS is going to be received with mixed reviews.. I really think the Razr right now will be the perfect combination of keeping the hardware keys I want.. and Getting ICS right about the time its had its kinks worked out of it.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol Droid Nexus = heaven

I would have bought it regardless. But, no removable battery, no nfc, no on screen buttons, AND blurred an locked.....As much as I'm a moto fan I have to get the GN, I'm just too nerdy. Good news if I hate it I'll get Moto's first ICS stock device.

I really think they have something in the works, at least a razr style phone with a bigger screen for ICS native on screen buttons.

zhawks

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I pre-orderred the Razr over waiting for the Nexus largely because I didn't care for the overall design of the G-Nex. It just looked like too much plastic and not as durable as my OG Droid, so I went with the Razr because I trust the build quality of Motorola products and I'm tired of waiting for a new phone. Plus the Razr's cons are not something I really care about (non-removable battery, locked bootloader, blur, etc.)

Granted I would much prefer as stock ICS device, but at the end of the day quality hardware is more important than fancy new software to me. Plus I don't mind waiting for the ICS update next year for the Razr. Ultimately I really want something to hold me over until Motorola comes out with a Nexus device of its own and the Razr will be able to do that even if it takes a couple of years for a Moto-Nex to come out.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

HD screen, ICS, larger screen. As for the GPS, we can't speculate on the performance of either.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

It's no longer called Motoblur actually. They did away with that name a few months ago. It's got some new long name that shouldn't even be considered name and I can't even remember. I personally like "The UI formally known as Blur." They also made some nice improvements to it.

edit: Motorola Applications Platform I believe is the correct name now.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I pre-orderred the Razr over waiting for the Nexus largely because I didn't care for the overall design of the G-Nex. It just looked like too much plastic and not as durable as my OG Droid, so I went with the Razr because I trust the build quality of Motorola products and I'm tired of waiting for a new phone. Plus the Razr's cons are not something I really care about (non-removable battery, locked bootloader, blur, etc.)

Granted I would much prefer as stock ICS device, but at the end of the day quality hardware is more important than fancy new software to me. Plus I don't mind waiting for the ICS update next year for the Razr. Ultimately I really want something to hold me over until Motorola comes out with a Nexus device of its own and the Razr will be able to do that even if it takes a couple of years for a Moto-Nex to come out.

I wouldn't hold my breath on ICS coming to the RAZR anytime soon. The estimates for rolling out updates such as those are almost always wrong. So I hope you like Gingerbread, because that is what you will more than likely be using for a while.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath on ICS coming to the RAZR anytime soon. The estimates for rolling out updates such as those are almost always wrong. So I hope you like Gingerbread, because that is what you will more than likely be using for a while.

Good solid facts you provided, I guess I should whine that you are posting something negative about the Razr in the Razr forum.. seems to be the trend if you post anything but glowing positive posts about the Nexus in that forum.

But anyhow.. from what Ive seen out of all major Android Handset Manufacturers.. Motorola has been the best at providing quick updates.

Honestly the SAMSUNG GALAXY Nexus phone will be nice.. but like most sane people who owned either an Galaxy S phone, or a Samsung Charge (samsungs first LTE phone) they are steering clear of Samsung for good reasons.

If you get lost dont bother with your GPS.. call me up.. Ill come find you and with my Moto we can get you home safe and sound.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Good solid facts you provided, I guess I should whine that you are posting something negative about the Razr in the Razr forum.. seems to be the trend if you post anything but glowing positive posts about the Nexus in that forum.

But anyhow.. from what Ive seen out of all major Android Handset Manufacturers.. Motorola has been the best at providing quick updates.

Honestly the SAMSUNG GALAXY Nexus phone will be nice.. but like most sane people who owned either an Galaxy S phone, or a Samsung Charge (samsungs first LTE phone) they are steering clear of Samsung for good reasons.

If you get lost dont bother with your GPS.. call me up.. Ill come find you and with my Moto we can get you home safe and sound.

Lol haters are gonna hate...

I think alot of people are going to be surprised with the bugs of a developers phone. I have a Xoom that's updated from Google. With every update you get new bugs with none of the old ones being fix. The bugs usually found in manufactures UI its the originals showing though.

The Xoom is a good example of Google's work. Inside the USA you can only read the SD card, outside the USA where the xoom gets its updates from Motorola they can read and write to SD. They are version 3.1, we are version 3.2 but they still have a more functional device and we have a......higher number?

With Google's latest release version 3.2.1 for the xoom 3g we got this...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/129835-i-think-my-xoom-screwed-1-a.html

Motorola will fix this before they release a newer version of honeycomb. Plus know one knows what the update did. People want the biggest number but have no idea what it actually does. Point is the latest and greatest isn't the best esp. when the purpose of the device is for Guinea pigs... :)

I'm still going to get the GN because I enjoy tinkering and figuring things out. But being that all my devices are developer phones and tablets I have a back up dumb phone.... :)

Reactions: philly

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae