Deciding between the razr and nexus

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Up until a couple of days ago I was all about the Nexus. It was all about ICS for me. Stopped by the Verizon store and started messing with the Razr which led me to start researching. Ended up purchasing the Razr last night. One reason it ended up being my choice was the Lapdock (which I purchased). I'm a train commuter and being able to do work, control my phone and have a full Firefox browser....without a tethering charge....is a win for me. Plus, because of the whole non-removable battery thing, the Lapdock charges your phone while it's plugged in.

The Lapdock 100 works well but I'm sure I will pick up the Lapdock 500 when it's available.

Nice. I want a lapdock too, I am a student. It is half the size of my laptop and has all the functionality I need at the moment.

kimo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya, I am so done with the "protector condoms" as you call them, LOL. Ever since I took off my screen protector on my Droid 1 it is much better.

kimo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the construction, hdmi out and radio are all better than GN. The only thing that bothers me is some of the stuff I read out there about the RAZR display being greenish and text being pixelated and the camera lag and poor video. I wonder though are these just nit picky comments and as a normal user I probably won't care.

kimo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Surely you are aware of the Costco deal with the accessories they throw in, one of them being a battery pack that could also easily fit in your pocket.

ItsMeCD

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the construction, hdmi out and radio are all better than GN. The only thing that bothers me is some of the stuff I read out there about the RAZR display being greenish and text being pixelated and the camera lag and poor video. I wonder though are these just nit picky comments and as a normal user I probably won't care.

Not sure this helps but I have none of those issues. The screen is great. Camera lag is not an issue. I haven't tried video recording yet.

I read the "greenish" claims and was worried too but again no issues here. Its a VERY good device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kimo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure this helps but I have none of those issues. The screen is great. Camera lag is not an issue. I haven't tried video recording yet.

I read the "greenish" claims and was worried too but again no issues here. Its a VERY good device.

Thanks for the info. I really want to lean toward the RAZR especially after reading the many comments in this forum about the radio differences and the build quality.
I want to go to Costco now but I think I should force myself to wait as something tells me that there will be some screaming deals in the next several weeks for the holidays.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Its mostly nit picky issues, me included...lol None of the posted screen issues really take away from the phone. My Droid X1 would wash out viewing it off center, didnt take away from the phone. Most things posted are noticable next to another phone.

I'm guilty of not liking Amoled screens....until finally seeing on in person...lol. Like ppl mention seeing Pentile issues on the RAZR and it bothering them so much. I dont see it. I see the Pentile effects when held close to my face, but at my normal viewing distances, I dont. Maybe some ppl have extra sensitive eyesight, its possible.

And one thing thats for certain is the camera does not lag. Focusing and taking pics is fast.

kimo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Its mostly nit picky issues, me included...lol None of the posted screen issues really take away from the phone. My Droid X1 would wash out viewing it off center, didnt take away from the phone. Most things posted are noticable next to another phone.

I'm guilty of not liking Amoled screens....until finally seeing on in person...lol. Like ppl mention seeing Pentile issues on the RAZR and it bothering them so much. I dont see it. I see the Pentile effects when held close to my face, but at my normal viewing distances, I dont. Maybe some ppl have extra sensitive eyesight, its possible.

And one thing thats for certain is the camera does not lag. Focusing and taking pics is fast.
Excellent info, thanks for the comments.
I like to get the best of the best when it comes to technology but when it boils down, it just needs to function well and last for a couple of years. I am definitely not one that can afford to buy a phone every 6 mos. I've had my Droid 1 for a little over 2 yrs now, I think I'll be pretty darn happy with this upgrade.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

The camera works fine. The screen being greenish is not "nit picky". Unless you are color blind or ignorant, it is clearly visible. Go to brightness, make sure it's set too 100%, then click the auto brightness checkbox and watch the color of the screen change. Do it several times so you know it's not your imagination.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The camera works fine. The screen being greenish is not "nit picky". Unless you are color blind or ignorant, it is clearly visible. Go to brightness, make sure it's set too 100%, then click the auto brightness checkbox and watch the color of the screen change. Do it several times so you know it's not your imagination.

I know about this...I tested this and I saw it already when I first got the phone. You can also see it by just lowering the brightness manually too.

How about this...I M O its nit picky. In my case I have been using 100% brightness, no auto brightness since last year. I rarely use my phone below 50% brightness unless I'm really trying to save battery life.

Can also see blue ish on white backgrounds from off center. To me...its more noticeable when compared to another phone. The greenish is only really noticeable while in the Brightness settings while adjusting Brightness. Once you leave the Settings, its not that noticeable, its probably only noticed when in the Display settings adjusting Brightness. With that said....does it take away from the screen? IMO no.

Its like on the Bionic and ppl can see really see pixels on green backgrounds...if thats the most I can really see pixels on the Bionic....IMO its not that big of an issue.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think 4.65 is too big but if the phone gets bigger then it turns into a problem. The GN is supposed to be thicker (obviously but still more thin then a lot of phones), little bit taller, but the width is still very slightly narrower (.01). So its not really any bigger then a lot of phones on the market.

Actually, the Razr is wide (2.7) and tall (5.15) and the Nexus is even Taller (5.33). Unless you have huge pockets NEITHER phone is going to be very pocketable.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have To Eat Some Crow

I complained about the mobile hotspot issue with the Razr. Other devices use automatic channel the Razr doesnt. I like this phone but on the fence.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This phone is just all together amazing. I can't imagine anything the GN has that the razr doesn't that I would need.

The new blur is very nice. Very user friendly and there are all sorts of tweaks here and there.

Only thing I suppose I wish it had would be a physical camera button. But that is minor, otherwise love it.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I suppose I wish it had would be a physical camera button. But that is minor, otherwise love it.

Agreed.

I find myself comparing Galaxy Nexus on ICS vs. the Razr on Gingerbread, where I should be comparing them both on ICS since we will have ICS within a few months I hope. WIth ICS, ill take the sleek Razr over the Nexus. Cant say for certain till i see the darn thing, but if the December rumor really is true, i wont have much of a choice anyway.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.

I find myself comparing Galaxy Nexus on ICS vs. the Razr on Gingerbread, where I should be comparing them both on ICS since we will have ICS within a few months I hope. WIth ICS, ill take the sleek Razr over the Nexus. Cant say for certain till i see the darn thing, but if the December rumor really is true, i wont have much of a choice anyway.

Moto says 6 weeks from the release if the GB code which was pushed to the AOSP today. Even giving them some wiggle room (software updates are sometimes more complicated than they initially seem) we should see it around the first of the year.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Moto says 6 weeks from the release if the GB code which was pushed to the AOSP today. Even giving them some wiggle room (software updates are sometimes more complicated than they initially seem) we should see it around the first of the year.

That would be just perfect.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I never said it was guaranteed but rather consider the following

1. Google owns Moto now (or will very shortly) and I would be shocked if they didn't have access to pre-release builds of ICS.
2. Google owns Moto (or will shortly) and wants to get away from the stigma of what happened last year with the DX, Pro, and D2. I personally think the main reason Motoblur has gotten lighter and lighter with each passing version is to make it easier to upgrade. I highly doubt it was due to our feedback.
3. Verizon wants to sell phones, and they also don't want all the phones people buy for the holidays returned or (purposely?) messed up to have an excuse to push for a different device.
4. The 6 week timetable is reasonable. The EVO 4G, Droid, and Incredible all got Froyo right around 6 weeks after the code dropped and Sense is a lot more elaborate than Blur.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I will be pleasantly surprised if Motorola actually follows through on the commitment to upgrade our devices in that six week time frame. At this point, I don't believe they will be able to meet that goal.