Kevlar + new screen = no otterbox?

rstites38829

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My phone will be naked as well. I rarely use cases with any of my phones. Cant wait.

Does the design of the new Razr give you added comfort or is it simply cosmetics? I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the Kevlar and gorilla glass supposed to be there for looks and weight or are they going for strength and durability? I don't mind a lite layer of a case but I can't stand wraping a phone up in a big bulky protector.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Does the design of the new Razr give you added comfort or is it simply cosmetics? I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the Kevlar and gorilla glass supposed to be there for looks and weight or are they going for strength and durability? I don't mind a lite layer of a case but I can't stand wraping a phone up in a big bulky protector.

I love the design of the phone. It looks like they are going for both looks/weight and strength/durability of the phone. You cant beat that. The best of both worlds.

I take pretty good care of my phones so cases are rarely an option for me.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is a bullet proof vest for looks? That's my tongue-in-cheek calling but, yes, kevlar, steel frame and gorilla glass are all for durability and structural strength, durability, and rigidity. Then the splash guard.. Do you EVEN know my phone history? Let me say two of the many things I've done. dropping it in the toilet (voyager and og droid).. Dropping it off kingda ka (og droid 2)... Lmao.. Oh and the kevlar backing is kinda grippy apparently, another plus and reason not to have a case. Ps let's turn the thinnest smart phone into average. Let's ruin the whole aesthetics. I erl get the $6 insurance, sure. But no case pour moi.. No senor

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just know if I were to get it I'd drop it eventually and the screen would crack. The insurance is a good idea but I really don't know how that would work if the glass is cracked but the phone still works perfectly would you get a replacement?

The gorilla glass makes me a little nervous too. I'm on my Xoom now in my work vehicle and I can focus my eyes on a perfect reflection of myself. Its completely useless in direct sunlight. They will surely make anti glass screen protectors but I've yet to find one that I actually like or even works for that matter...

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not indestructible. My girlfriend dropped her GG-clad Droid Pro less than a week after she got it. It must have landed just right because it shattered. The phone still works fine, and screen replacements are about $70, I found out. YMMV,

Bryan

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Kevlar doesn't automatically = strength. What makes a bullet resistance vest work is multiple layers of kevlar on top of each of each other, and kevlar itself is a woven fiber that stretches and disburses energy outward across the fabric keeping the bullet (which is blunt or round nose) from getting throw. Take a knife to it and the blade will cut throw it. Kevlar on the back of the phone is much different, it is thin and has been hardened. I would think it would work more like fiberglass.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Kevlar doesn't automatically = strength. What makes a bullet resistance vest work is multiple layers of kevlar on top of each of each other, and kevlar itself is a woven fiber that stretches and disburses energy outward across the fabric keeping the bullet (which is blunt or round nose) from getting throw. Take a knife to it and the blade will cut throw it. Kevlar on the back of the phone is much different, it is thin and has been hardened. I would think it would work more like fiberglass.

Yeah, I'm guessing the use of it hear was more for marketing/touting about it than ti actually being the very best product for the application. I'm sure it's great, but it isn't anywhere close to bulletproof like a lot of people will assume.

If you've ever actually worn a bullet proof vest, you know that the amount of kevlar used makes the vest bulky and heavy...far too much so to be used in a phone (in the same application).

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Kevlar is nothing but a strong thread. I think making the back of the phone out of it is just a marketing gimmick. It still has to have something in it to make it stiff, and it will only be as strong as that. Hell, it could be made out of Egyptian papyrus and be the same strength, as the stuff made to make it stiff is what is giving you any strength in this application.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Kevlar is nothing but a strong thread. I think making the back of the phone out of it is just a marketing gimmick. It still has to have something in it to make it stiff, and it will only be as strong as that. Hell, it could be made out of Egyptian papyrus and be the same strength, as the stuff made to make it stiff is what is giving you any strength in this application.

I agree about the marketing for the most part however Kevlar + resin is extremely tough and durable. Think carbon fiber. The dry resin will fall apart in your hand, add a fiber and it just stronger like glass fibers and it gets very tough, add woven carbon fibers or Kevlar and it become damn near indestructible ....

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the marketing for the most part however Kevlar + resin is extremely tough and durable. Think carbon fiber. The dry resin will fall apart in your hand, add a fiber and it just stronger like glass fibers and it gets very tough, add woven carbon fibers or Kevlar and it become damn near indestructible ....

I would agree with you for the most part, but the piece of Kevlar on this phone has to be extremely thin and I think because of that you can throw the "near indestructible" out the window. Is it better then a cheap piece of plastic, I'm sure it is, but I would bet at that size there are some polymers that are just as strong or stronger out there.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with you for the most part, but the piece of Kevlar on this phone has to be extremely thin and I think because of that you can throw the "near indestructible" out the window. Is it better then a cheap piece of plastic, I'm sure it is, but I would bet at that size there are some polymers that are just as strong or stronger out there.

Nope, bullet resistant up to a .50 BMG at 50 yard and a. 338 Lapua point blank..... read the specs man.... lol :)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Nope, bullet resistant up to a .50 BMG at 50 yard and a. 338 Lapua point blank..... read the specs man.... lol :)

In that case I'm going to get the phone and make a special pouch in the chest of all my shirts and carry it there LOL. I love the look of the phone myself including the Kevlar, but the GN is going to be hard to pass up!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle