Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Default $649.99? Verizon should be ashamed.

Off contract pricing has gotten out of hand. We already pay a hefty premium with the data package. This really ties up the hands of most consumers who want the latest technology. Verizon needs to stop gouging their prices and lower the full retail of this device down to $589 like the Bionic.

Default Re: $649.99? Verizon should be ashamed.

That's ridiculous, but I used my upgrade and paid $300. Which, to be honest, is still a bit steep but oh well.

While you may feel that the price is ridiculous, keep in mind that the RAZR has a better screen, the Kevlar back, and all that tech is squeezed into a much smaller chassis. I'm not saying that it costs that much to manufacture, but the phone is worth a premium over the Bionic.
    AZDROIDX likes this.

I wonder why when preordering they don't give you the option to put the phone on your next bill as they do in the store? That's foolish.. Still debating right now.. 649.00 or use my upgrade... Don't like the fact of the committment but to save 300 dollars I may do it.. Just don't want to be sitting on the stump later when the DROID RAZR 2 comes out... it's to be expected though so either now.. or later... or pass.... <----- which is NOT going to happen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by desoulja2185 View Post
    I wonder why when preordering they don't give you the option to put the phone on your next bill as they do in the store? That's foolish.. Still debating right now.. 649.00 or use my upgrade... Don't like the fact of the committment but to save 300 dollars I may do it.. Just don't want to be sitting on the stump later when the DROID RAZR 2 comes out... it's to be expected though so either now.. or later... or pass.... <----- which is NOT going to happen lol.
    Use the upgrade now as it makes the most sense. If you pay full price and sit on the upgrade for the RAZR 2, than you're assuming it'll be happening or a big leap. However, by using the upgrade now, you're saving money and you can pay full price later if needed.

No need to risk it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Use the upgrade now as it makes the most sense. If you pay full price and sit on the upgrade for the RAZR 2, than you're assuming it'll be happening or a big leap. However, by using the upgrade now, you're saving money and you can pay full price later if needed.

No need to risk it!
    I agree with you, but I wonder if I can get it on a 1 year contract. Those are usually $100 more than what the two year contract pricing is.... I may have to call VZ.

Quote Originally Posted by desoulja2185 View Post
    I agree with you, but I wonder if I can get it on a 1 year contract. Those are usually $100 more than what the two year contract pricing is.... I may have to call VZ.
    It's worth a try, but Verizon discontinued 1 year contracts to all account except business accounts.

I'm curious as to the full retail price of the Galaxy Nexus as I have been considering picking up both phones, the RAZR due to the form factor and the Nexus due to Ice Cream Sandwich. I only have 1 upgrade available so it makes sense to use it on whichever phone has the higher full retail price. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive to be a phone aficionado but at the same time, it's amazing the kind of tech they squeeze into these devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    It's worth a try, but Verizon discontinued 1 year contracts to all account except business accounts.
    Dang.. I guess it's "NO BUENO" for me... I dunno.. I may just cough it up.. full retail that is.. or just use my upgrade and pray that I like this phone, the ACTUAL device outside of the form factor!.... I've never had a phone longer than a year... lol... but this is becoming a little too expensive.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scout_313 View Post
    I'm curious as to the full retail price of the Galaxy Nexus as I have been considering picking up both phones, the RAZR due to the form factor and the Nexus due to Ice Cream Sandwich. I only have 1 upgrade available so it makes sense to use it on whichever phone has the higher full retail price. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive to be a phone aficionado but at the same time, it's amazing the kind of tech they squeeze into these devices.
    I'm curious too.
    The 'spread' on the RAZR is $350, the difference between the contact and no contract price. On Sprint, there is a $300 spread on the Galaxy S II, and $449 on the iPhone 4S. Verizon is the same on the 4S, $440 higher w/o contract, the new Rhyme is +$240, and the Bionic is +$340 ($590 vs. $250.)
    So, my guess is the Galaxy Nexus will be $299 with a contract, and $599-$679 without a 2-yr deal. Crazy high, but I'm probably going to click the "Buy Now" button when it's available.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Burn the upgrade and when the Razr 2 comes out, sell it for as much as you can and use that to offset full retail. Just a thought...
    "In valor, there is hope."

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Overseas they are paying more. Not to sound like an ***, but no one is forcing anyone to buy this device. I'd like to have a ferarri, but I can't afford one.
    Last edited by Serial Fordicator; 10-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.

I expected the price. I didn't expect the Verizon rep to act like no one ever buys a phone at the full retail price.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I don't know what Verizon plans on doing when we all run out of money for phones. They took away one year contracts, new every two, annual upgrades etc.. I want the latest technology but I'm sure i'm not alone in saying if they keep coming out with phones every month or two for $650+ and no way to discount them, I can't afford that lol. I can't upgrade till may of 2013.. so I'll probably buy a new phone @ retail because my bionic's camera sucks so bad..but after I buy my next phone full price... I can't afford to buy another one until my upgrade..it's too expensive. I'm not poor but I'm sure all of us can't afford to spend that much whenever a newer phone comes out. One reason I like Iphones..one phone...once a year..not 12 a year that can't get software updates for 6+ months after they came out and some that never do...

I have 9+ lines on my account that are staggered so I almost always have at least 2 that are ready for an upgrade at any given time. So far my plan is to pick up the Razr and the Nexus and then decide which one I want for my primary phone.

Quote Originally Posted by grn4frk View Post
    I don't know what Verizon plans on doing when we all run out of money for phones. They took away one year contracts, new every two, annual upgrades etc.. I want the latest technology but I'm sure i'm not alone in saying if they keep coming out with phones every month or two for $650+ and no way to discount them, I can't afford that lol. I can't upgrade till may of 2013.. so I'll probably buy a new phone @ retail because my bionic's camera sucks so bad..but after I buy my next phone full price... I can't afford to buy another one until my upgrade..it's too expensive. I'm not poor but I'm sure all of us can't afford to spend that much whenever a newer phone comes out. One reason I like Iphones..one phone...once a year..not 12 a year that can't get software updates for 6+ months after they came out and some that never do...
    dont forget you can sell your bionic on ebay to offset some of the cost of a new phone, and then repeat that again when you upgrade again.

I just sold a fascinate on ebay for 139.99.. not bad considering I bought it got 00.01 and got a years use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I have 9+ lines on my account that are staggered so I almost always have at least 2 that are ready for an upgrade at any given time. So far my plan is to pick up the Razr and the Nexus and then decide which one I want for my primary phone.
    what is 9+? whats the actual number?

and are you a millionaire or something? dont you have to pay 29.99 + 9.99 per line? on top of your family plan of like 99.99?

so thats like 500 a month?

wouldnt it just be easier to pay like 100 a month.. the difference (if you do indeed pay something like 500 a month) would be almost 5000 a year.. thats plenty of cash to just buy phones at full retail..

there are 9 actual phones, the plus is for the data plan for my wifes netbook, and my Xoom also has a data plan on it. Even though they are not phones they still have a line/number attached. I do not pay the entire bill myself I have other family members on my account that pay their part of the bill every month. The total bill every month is under 500.00.

Since I am an employee I get discounts on my access charges etc.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    Off contract pricing has gotten out of hand. We already pay a hefty premium with the data package. This really ties up the hands of most consumers who want the latest technology. Verizon needs to stop gouging their prices and lower the full retail of this device down to $589 like the Bionic.
    What phone are you talking about?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

there are 9 actual phones, the plus is for the data plan for my wifes netbook, and my Xoom also has a data plan on it. Even though they are not phones they still have a line/number attached. I do not pay the entire bill myself I have other family members on my account that pay their part of the bill every month. The total bill every month is under 500.00.

Since I am an employee I get discounts on my access charges etc.
    Then you wouldn't technically be having upgrades every few months then right? Unless you're taking your family's upgrades??

I personally was thinking of adding lines for upgrades but can't really justfy unused data plans on each

I usually just shift the upgrades to which ever person wants or needs a new phone. Right now everyone is pretty happy with their currant device so that leaves 2 available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wowpaw View Post
    Then you wouldn't technically be having upgrades every few months then right? Unless you're taking your family's upgrades??

I personally was thinking of adding lines for upgrades but can't really justfy unused data plans on each
    There is a trick to this. You upgrade with a smartphone and then as soon as you get the new phone move it to your primary line and the pick up a cheap lg vx6100 or something off eBay to go on the added line. The contract is for the line itself...not the smartphone data plan. So you're only paying 9.99 a month as an add on line. It definitely wouldnt make sense if we were paying the 30 for data too.

I'm thinking about just adding another line next time. I'm trying to stagger it so I can get an upgrade once a year. I'm not due for one on my line till December 2012, so I figure I can make it work if I want to buy a new phone in like April, May or June. That way I can get an upgrade in December 2013 or roughly around that time. I just worry that somehow I would lose my number or my unlimited data. And that's just not going to happen. It's just the phone that switches lines and doesn't mess with your number or data plan? Last time I talked with someone at Verizon, they said that my number might be held in some kind of limbo possibly, whatever that means. And my number means more to me than a new phone. If my concerns could be put to rest I would do it in a heartbeat next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    I'm thinking about just adding another line next time. I'm trying to stagger it so I can get an upgrade once a year. I'm not due for one on my line till December 2012, so I figure I can make it work if I want to buy a new phone in like April, May or June. That way I can get an upgrade in December 2013 or roughly around that time. I just worry that somehow I would lose my number or my unlimited data. And that's just not going to happen. It's just the phone that switches lines and doesn't mess with your number or data plan? Last time I talked with someone at Verizon, they said that my number might be held in some kind of limbo possibly, whatever that means. And my number means more to me than a new phone. If my concerns could be put to rest I would do it in a heartbeat next time around.
    When you change phones from line to line, you just do it online or on the phone w/ verizon. When you do it, you will have to select the appropriate data plan (if you are moving a smartphone to your line) or you have to remove the data plan when you add a feature phone. So all of the data/texts/etc. are all take care of at the time of switching.
    Thanked by:
    paul-c 

I usually just shift the upgrades to which ever person wants or needs a new phone. Right now everyone is pretty happy with their currant device so that leaves 2 available right now.
    I REALLY wish the people on my family plan were the same way. All of us crave for the latest tech so no one ever gives up their upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    There is a trick to this. You upgrade with a smartphone and then as soon as you get the new phone move it to your primary line and the pick up a cheap lg vx6100 or something off eBay to go on the added line. The contract is for the line itself...not the smartphone data plan. So you're only paying 9.99 a month as an add on line. It definitely wouldnt make sense if we were paying the 30 for data too.
    Interesting. I may look into it. So basically, I add a line (feature phone).. and just keep it until the upgrade comes up and then tranfer that upgrade every time it does to my primary line. I would assume this would be beneficial if the price difference between upgrade and retail price is more than $240 though right?

I ended up calling Verizon back to add another line. I will end up saving money, and having another upgrade date added to the account is awesome since I want to upgrade roughly once a year. To me, it's like paying $10 a month to have the benefit of upgrading more often. Totally worth it to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast