Global Capable?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know whether the RAZR will be global capable?

I want to upgrade from a D2G (badly). I very infrequently use the global capability of the D2G, but when I need it, it's really handy.

-AJ

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
For it to b a vzw lte global phone you will need dual sim cards. And there is only one for lte so I don't think so.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Just got off chat with V rep and it is not a world phone:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Ashley J'
Ashley J: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Looking at Pre-order on the Droid Razr can you tell me if it is a "world phone"?
Ashley J: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: Thank you
Ashley J: Are you asking if the phone is global ready?
You: Yes that is correct does it have Sim slot to traveling in Europe?
Ashley J: It is not a global device. Are you need a device with global features?
You: Yes but don't see any others that interest me at this time. Thank you.
Ashley J: What key features in a cell phone are most important to you?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Not the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate you taking the time to do that research with the VZW rep.

Bummer.

Thanks again,
AJ

golfhacker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is the story I got today.

Ordered the phone. I asked the CSR several times if this phone was global and she said yes it is.

I did not receive a confirm email so I called back to find out why I did not. Long story short name was misspelled but the order is good. I asked that CSR as well about the phone being a world phone and he said yes it was.

I called again later just to confirm my suspicions and the third CSR said it was as well.

My feeling is that perhaps they changed their mind. I asked if I needed a new SIM when going overseas and all three said no you don't.

Here's hoping that they are all correct.

M

golfhacker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thard,

I am wrong:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Finally got an explanation that makes sense. The last person I spoke with said that the phone is an "International" not a Wotld phone. Nonsense to me...what she implies is anywhere there is CDMA you are fine. No way for GSM.

Since I travel overseas very seldom, it is not a deal breaker for me and eventually I hope that Verizon will come around and give us GSM capability on this phone.

Sorry for the misinformation.

M

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is the reply I got from the moderator on the Moto forum.\:

Ian, I have an official answer on this:

DROID RAZR was designed to leverage the blazing-fast speeds of Verizon Wireless? 4G LTE network and worldphone functionality has not been included at this time. Please note that we've launched Motorola RAZR that will be available in many regions across the globe, including Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Middle East

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I don't understand two things:
1) Why wouldn't they enable at least LTE across other bands (for example, on their sister-company, Vodafone's frequencies) and allow at least that to work in Europe? Then I could use skype or some other VOIP in a pinch too.

2) Why does LTE require a separate SIM? Why can't the GSM and LTE functionality share the same SIM? I didn't know they were both exclusive of each other. That's downright shortsighted, IMHO.

-AJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol