Non-removable battery?

Kekoh

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Since I occasionally have to do battery-pulls to end a bootlooop, etc. I was wondering how one would go about that on the RAZR if you needed to pull the battery. Is there an alternative or something?

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
According to the manual you hold the power button and volume down button together for 10 seconds and will force reboot.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
IT IS still an issue from two different perspectives.
One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.

The first point I wouldn't worry about. The iPhone works the same way (hold down the home and power button together) and it works even when the software is screwed up. have had to use it a few times on my iPod Touch and my wife with her iPhone 4.

2nd point is a bug in the upgrade for that phone, of course it can happen again but it is not know to be the norm.

pseudoelf

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The power off feature is likely firmware based like your PC. the software can be fouled up but the bios is still fine and that is what understands the press and hold means shut down.

Reactions: milkshed27

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I will never again buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. It is one of the reasons I left the iPhone herd. Too bad, I was interested in the phone before I became aware of this issue.

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Definitely will be fine with the button pushes to reset. But one of your main desires in a phone shouldn't be "be able to pull the battery so I can reboot when the software crashes"

iPhone handles it fine, mine has crashed a lot more than I'd care to admit, and my Galaxy Tab handles it fine. Seriously, don't worry about it so much. The button-reset is in a much lower-level portion of the firmware, which I doubt is affected by any actions of the user, including rooting and flashing a new ROM.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.

My droid required a battery pull twice (maybe three times), otherwise, I would have had a black skinny brick.

I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.

I understand this is not a common problem with any electronic device, but it can be a necessity and if it is, it sure is nice to pull a battery to solve some software glitch.

Don't misunderstand me, I love the Razr, figure it will be my retirement gift to myself and a chance to dump the X. But I sure would like to know if there is a way to pull the battery by removing some screws vs. having a brick in my hand. But looking at all the Razr photos, I see no screws to remove.:mad:

BallzDeep

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
the biggest problem i have with not being able to pull the battery is that i have never owned a droid that would last with a stock battery.... so if you cant pull it... you cant get an extended one. and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
A lot of Android tablets out there with non-removable betteries. I wouldn't be too worried about the device getting hung.

-Suntan

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
the biggest problem i have with not being able to pull the battery is that i have never owned a droid that would last with a stock battery.... so if you cant pull it... you cant get an extended one. and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.

"Motorola sent me a boatload of accessories for the DROID RAZR including an external battery (just plug it in and you have an external power supply)"
From
Motorola DROID RAZR review

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.

I've had an iPhone since launch, and know a lot of people with iPhones, and I have never heard of anyone needing to go to an Apple store for a battery pull. I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but chances are they just did the home + power trick. My Galaxy Tab has frozen up where nothing worked, but I could still restart it with just the power button.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

The combination if button pushes is in the low level firmware and I have never heard of a tablet that would not reset this way.

That shouldn't happen, when the phone us completely turned off then it should stay off, but if it does simply remove the SIM chard, problem solved.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions but people had the same issue with iPhones and with the Xooom when it first came out and the techniques described here have always worked for me.

Software is not software, the CTRL+ALT+DEL that a computer has is the part of windows and yes when windows is messed up it does not work, but a cel phone has both the OS (Android) and the low level firmware (kind of like a PC's BIOS), and the VOL DOWN + Power trick is controlled by the low level firmware and thus unlikely to fail. A computers BIOS is very unlikely to fail or be screwed up, The only cases I have heard of that happening on a PC is when someone tried to flash the wrong BIOS update.

Don't get the RAZR if you dint want to but honestly you are worried about nothing.

Reactions: milkshed27

speedrx

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Apple devices have been using sealed batteries forever and still sell like hotcakes. Most tablets are sealed, and a lot of the mobile laptops and netbooks are sealed. It is the trend and you will see more and more devices going this way. It has been pretty well perfected and is not an issue for most, there are lots of external power/battery options to get you to the point you can plug in in the rare cases you need it.

I think the RAZR comes with some sophisticated power management to help extend battery like. Most people aren't going to keep the phone past 2 years, everyone wants the latest and greatest new phone and who know what will be out in 2 years.

Go get your new RAZR and enjoy!

kurttrail

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The combination if button pushes is in the low level firmware and I have never heard of a tablet that would not reset this way.

It happened to people who got the 4g upgrade to their Xooms who then decided to flash older versions of android, and then flashing back to the sbf that Motorola originally released for 4g Xooms.

It worked until reboot, then they were stuck on the boot screen and holding the two buttons didn't do a damned thing. End result, they had to wait till the battery drained until they could fastboot a working image.

The moral to this story is, if you are gonna mess around with things that can necessitate a battery pull, and you're not willing to wait for the battery to drain, don't buy a phone with unremoveable battery.

Everybody else should be safe relying on the two button salute.

dyinman

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.

I've never heard of a smartphone that was close to being usable all day with heavy usage. Moderate usage, yes, but not heavy. The screens just can't be powered that long on those puny batteries, not to mention the extra grunt work required for the "heavy" usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown