Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Kekoh's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    ROM
    Viper4G

    Default Non-removable battery?

    Since I occasionally have to do battery-pulls to end a bootlooop, etc. I was wondering how one would go about that on the RAZR if you needed to pull the battery. Is there an alternative or something?
  2. #2  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Like tablet power button volume up. Phil mention it in his post. Its not a issue
  3. #3  
    THARD11's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    According to the manual you hold the power button and volume down button together for 10 seconds and will force reboot.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    IT IS still an issue from two different perspectives.
    One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

    The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

    Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    IT IS still an issue from two different perspectives.
    One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

    The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

    Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.
    The first point I wouldn't worry about. The iPhone works the same way (hold down the home and power button together) and it works even when the software is screwed up. have had to use it a few times on my iPod Touch and my wife with her iPhone 4.

    2nd point is a bug in the upgrade for that phone, of course it can happen again but it is not know to be the norm.
  6. #6  
    pseudoelf's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    The power off feature is likely firmware based like your PC. the software can be fouled up but the bios is still fine and that is what understands the press and hold means shut down.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    I will never again buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. It is one of the reasons I left the iPhone herd. Too bad, I was interested in the phone before I became aware of this issue.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Definitely will be fine with the button pushes to reset. But one of your main desires in a phone shouldn't be "be able to pull the battery so I can reboot when the software crashes"

    iPhone handles it fine, mine has crashed a lot more than I'd care to admit, and my Galaxy Tab handles it fine. Seriously, don't worry about it so much. The button-reset is in a much lower-level portion of the firmware, which I doubt is affected by any actions of the user, including rooting and flashing a new ROM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.

    My droid required a battery pull twice (maybe three times), otherwise, I would have had a black skinny brick.

    I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.

    I understand this is not a common problem with any electronic device, but it can be a necessity and if it is, it sure is nice to pull a battery to solve some software glitch.

    Don't misunderstand me, I love the Razr, figure it will be my retirement gift to myself and a chance to dump the X. But I sure would like to know if there is a way to pull the battery by removing some screws vs. having a brick in my hand. But looking at all the Razr photos, I see no screws to remove.
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!
  10. #10  
    BallzDeep's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    ROM
    left my phone stock

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    the biggest problem i have with not being able to pull the battery is that i have never owned a droid that would last with a stock battery.... so if you cant pull it... you cant get an extended one. and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Duplicate post....sorry
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    A lot of Android tablets out there with non-removable betteries. I wouldn't be too worried about the device getting hung.

    -Suntan
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by BallzDeep View Post
    the biggest problem i have with not being able to pull the battery is that i have never owned a droid that would last with a stock battery.... so if you cant pull it... you cant get an extended one. and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.
    "Motorola sent me a boatload of accessories for the DROID RAZR including an external battery (just plug it in and you have an external power supply)"
    From
    Motorola DROID RAZR review
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post

    I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.
    I've had an iPhone since launch, and know a lot of people with iPhones, and I have never heard of anyone needing to go to an Apple store for a battery pull. I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but chances are they just did the home + power trick. My Galaxy Tab has frozen up where nothing worked, but I could still restart it with just the power button.
  15. #15  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    IT IS still an issue from two different perspectives.
    One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

    The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

    Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.
    The combination if button pushes is in the low level firmware and I have never heard of a tablet that would not reset this way.

    That shouldn't happen, when the phone us completely turned off then it should stay off, but if it does simply remove the SIM chard, problem solved.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  16. #16  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinions but people had the same issue with iPhones and with the Xooom when it first came out and the techniques described here have always worked for me.

    Software is not software, the CTRL+ALT+DEL that a computer has is the part of windows and yes when windows is messed up it does not work, but a cel phone has both the OS (Android) and the low level firmware (kind of like a PC's BIOS), and the VOL DOWN + Power trick is controlled by the low level firmware and thus unlikely to fail. A computers BIOS is very unlikely to fail or be screwed up, The only cases I have heard of that happening on a PC is when someone tried to flash the wrong BIOS update.

    Don't get the RAZR if you dint want to but honestly you are worried about nothing.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    The Apple devices have been using sealed batteries forever and still sell like hotcakes. Most tablets are sealed, and a lot of the mobile laptops and netbooks are sealed. It is the trend and you will see more and more devices going this way. It has been pretty well perfected and is not an issue for most, there are lots of external power/battery options to get you to the point you can plug in in the rare cases you need it.

    I think the RAZR comes with some sophisticated power management to help extend battery like. Most people aren't going to keep the phone past 2 years, everyone wants the latest and greatest new phone and who know what will be out in 2 years.

    Go get your new RAZR and enjoy!
    milkshed27 likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    The combination if button pushes is in the low level firmware and I have never heard of a tablet that would not reset this way.
    It happened to people who got the 4g upgrade to their Xooms who then decided to flash older versions of android, and then flashing back to the sbf that Motorola originally released for 4g Xooms.

    It worked until reboot, then they were stuck on the boot screen and holding the two buttons didn't do a damned thing. End result, they had to wait till the battery drained until they could fastboot a working image.

    The moral to this story is, if you are gonna mess around with things that can necessitate a battery pull, and you're not willing to wait for the battery to drain, don't buy a phone with unremoveable battery.

    Everybody else should be safe relying on the two button salute.
  19. #19  
    mitchsurp#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    ROM
    N1=CM7 || Sensation=None

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    If you're that worried about it, keep your RAZR in debugging mode and keep adb handy.

    Code:
    adb reboot
    usually solves issues for me when I'm too lazy to remove the battery.
    My T-Mobile smartphone history
    BB 8100 --> BB 8120 --> BB 9700 --> Moto Cliq --> MyTouch 3G Slide --> Nexus One --> HTC Sensation
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by BallzDeep View Post
    and from most of the reviews i have seen, the battery life on the razr is not that good nor close to being usable all day with heavy usage.
    I've never heard of a smartphone that was close to being usable all day with heavy usage. Moderate usage, yes, but not heavy. The screens just can't be powered that long on those puny batteries, not to mention the extra grunt work required for the "heavy" usage.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    I guess it really is as simple, if that is a feature that you "HAVE"to have, then this phone doesn't fit your needs. Time to just move along.
  22. #22  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyinman View Post
    I've never heard of a smartphone that was close to being usable all day with heavy usage. Moderate usage, yes, but not heavy. The screens just can't be powered that long on those puny batteries, not to mention the extra grunt work required for the "heavy" usage.

    well there's one.... Blackberry
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  23. #23  
    hkklife's Avatar

    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    well there's one.... Blackberry
    Palm Centro/Treo is another
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Too many of you are using the non-removable battery as a deal breaker for this phone. The iPhone is in it's 5th generation and it hasn't had any significant problems now has it? Out of all the problems with the iPhone we've seen in the press and on TV I haven't see one thing about permanent battery being a problem. So if Apple can do it, I trust Motorola has engineered and tested it and passed it to work well before releasing such a great phone.

    I never bought a spare or extended battery for my OG Droid that I've had 2 years now. I just bought a car charger and took my AC charger with me to work or if I'm going to be away from home for over a day. That's just me.
    Thanked by 2:
    0pusXjroc 
    YourMobileGuru, furbymac and 0pusX like this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Non-removable battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    Too many of you are using the non-removable battery as a deal breaker for this phone. The iPhone is in it's 5th generation and it hasn't had any significant problems now has it? Out of all the problems with the iPhone we've seen in the press and on TV I haven't see one thing about permanent battery being a problem. So if Apple can do it, I trust Motorola has engineered and tested it and passed it to work well before releasing such a great phone.

    I never bought a spare or extended battery for my OG Droid that I've had 2 years now. I just bought a car charger and took my AC charger with me to work or if I'm going to be away from home for over a day. That's just me.
    The phone's on back-order @ amazon wireless...9 day wait...
    It really doesn't look like most people are worried about the non-removable battery
    Last edited by leblabbiy; 11-11-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions