black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper)

cdunn05#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
An easy way to tell if u have blotchy screen is to record nothing. Go to a dark room or at night. And place ur finger on the camera and record a few seconds. And when u play it back u can see it. That is how i found out i have a messed up screen too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Good idea. On my second phone I can see it when I'm in Android Market, Youmail, Go SMS, or any app with medium to dark. I'm taking this one back. I want one with splotches in a different spot of the screen because this splotch is HUGE (about 1 in in diameter).

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Good idea. On my second phone I can see it when I'm in Android Market, Youmail, Go SMS, or any app with medium to dark. I'm taking this one back. I want one with splotches in a different spot of the screen because this splotch is HUGE (about 1 in in diameter).

That is a huge splotch. Mine are maybe 3 mm and mostly on the bottom portion of my screen. After many seaches, I still could not find a clear consensus on what causes this. Some say it's a drawback of the amoled manufacturing process and some say it's a screen calibration issue and can be remedied with a firmware update.

nevildev

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Some additional links on this topic (official reply from Motorola Support - NOT a defect...)

[HOW-TO]Identifying Defective/Pre-release razr models - xda-developers
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/61777?tstart=30

"I looked into this and learned a lot.
The Droid RAZR display uses a new high efficiency OLED material. These screens may in some cases exhibit slightly darker regions, like you've noticed. Because the darker regions are only visible when viewing the black screen in a very dark environment, they will not interfere with general use. Most importantly, they don't change over time and are typical for this generation of OLED material. They in no way indicate a problem or defective screen. "

Reactions: Gutsukyo

shortyri

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Well thats just awesome!!! Motorola has now admitted they made a piece of crap! After returning my Razr I'm still with my old droid X and could not be happier! If they were able to resolve this problem, I would get the phone again and keep it. Some people have higher standards then others, especially when paying that much.:-$

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine has this issue. Several tiny splotches all over and black lines down the left and right borders. His RAZR is great and I love playing with it, but that just makes it ugly imo.

Super AMOLED is really nice, but this is a deal-breaker for me. I know it really doesn't affect the user experience at all, but it's just ugly. I know now what not to look for in my next phone. For now I'll stick with Sprint and my Evo 4G. :p

If you're looking for a super easy way to test it, just download an LCD tester from the market. All it does is just go through RGB-BW colors. Easy to see this defect and any possible dead pixels. My friend has a super tiny little dead pixel on his and can only be seen on the Red and Black screens :p

Darkbandit

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The only time I see anything is when it is in the docking mode and it dims and you are in a dark room. I should complain about it, but being the only time I see it is before I go to sleep, I won't complain too much.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine has the blotches too but it doesn't bother me cuz you never see it when you use the phone on a regular basis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

spooner427

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought Razr yesterday and noticed that I have this screen issue as well. I have several small spots and a line down the whole screen. The dots arent a huge deal but now I am noticing that line in alot of other apps.

spooner427

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is a picture
6398444455_458de506ac.jpg

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea...that line is definitely a defect.

My botches dont look as bad. I think I'll take a picture of my screen now...How did you get it show so good?

spooner427

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea...that line is definitely a defect.

My botches dont look as bad. I think I'll take a picture of my screen now...How did you get it show so good?

I have a very nice DSLR. I put it on a tripod and took a pic with the shutter open maybe 10 seconds.

I will post a pic of my new phone later.

spooner427

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Went to Verizon and checked a few phones and found 1 with a pretty clean screen. Verizon store was AWSOME and very understanding about the screen problem when I showed it to them.

Here is a shot of the replacement phone

6403616911_3a104b8ebd.jpg

Reactions: jroc

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Went to Verizon and checked a few phones and found 1 with a pretty clean screen. Verizon store was AWSOME and very understanding about the screen problem when I showed it to them.

Would you mind going over the process that you went through to get your replacement? As in, what you told them the problem was and how were you able to show them, since it's a problem that seems to show most in the dark.

Did they open up a few boxes for you and boot them up?

If so that was extremely understanding of them.

spooner427

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Would you mind going over the process that you went through to get your replacement? As in, what you told them the problem was and how were you able to show them, since it's a problem that seems to show most in the dark.

Did they open up a few boxes for you and boot them up?

If so that was extremely understanding of them.

I only had the phone for 2 days so I was able to just cancel my upgrade still if I wanted. I explained the problem and told them in a dark room you can see the trouble on the boot screen if you cover the logo that pops up in the middle with your hand. They brought out 3 phones and 1 by 1 I hid under a jacket and booted the phone up just so I could check out the screen. If you talk to a newer employee there they might be hesitant to opening up boxes you might need to talk to a manger.

Here is a picture my wife took of me in the store. I was told all the lights are on a timing system so we couldn't just go into a room and shut off the lights.
6406283139_99fff02a91.jpg

Reactions: milkshed27