Is the razr a global phone?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No the phone is not a global phone. Currently there are no 4g world phones. And to answer yes this has been asked. It seems like because we have a sim card we can go global unfortunately this isn't the case.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No the phone is not a global phone. Currently there are no 4g world phones. And to answer yes this has been asked. It seems like because we have a sim card we can go global unfortunately this isn't the case.

So you're saying the phone can't be used overseas?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It has a sim, why wouldn't it be?

It has a GSM antenna...

I'm pretty sure it is a global phone.

LTE phones use SIM-like cards but they're actually not compatible with the SIM cards used in GSM phones. None of the LTE phones that are out or have been announced have GSM radios.

Edit: Since the phone has a CDMA radio, it will work outside the US in places with CDMA service (Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and others). But you'll pay high rates to do so since it'll be through Verizon.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Because vzw GSM is 700mhz strictly for lte. If was a world phone you would need a seperate sim card.
It has a sim, why wouldn't it be?

It has a GSM antenna...

I'm pretty sure it is a global phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just because another carrier is cdma doesn't mean it will. If there is no carrier agreement then no service. Also they may be on different cdma frequencys.
LTE phones use SIM-like cards but they're actually not compatible with the SIM cards used in GSM phones. None of the LTE phones that are out or have been announced have GSM radios.

Edit: Since the phone has a CDMA radio, it will work outside the US in places with CDMA service (Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and others). But you'll pay high rates to do so since it'll be through Verizon.

Sent using Tapatalk

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend in South Korea right now. He is looking at getting the Korean version of the Razr. The Korean version supports the following frequencies per Motorola:

WCDMA 2100/850/900/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 HSDPA 14.4Mbps

Looks like the global version is a "world phone." It should work on ATT & Verizon (3g only) in the US as well just going from the frequency lists.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have heard rumors that the "Motorola RAZR" will be outfitted with different radios than the "Droid RAZR", and if it's true, one would wish VZW would support the non-US version and we could go find one out there!

vjr021

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
VZW is missing out on a big international business market with this. I was all set to jump on the RAZR bandwagon, but can't be without a phone when I travel.

Sigh, looks like grey market Korean RAZR for me.

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
=NotJustAPhone;14000

Sent using Tapatalk

Just a point of info, if you take your phone out of the US, call VZW international and get the plan it reduces the rates.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he meant 4G LTE phone.

HSPA+ and WiMax are considered 4G and are world phones, but it will be a while before you see an LTE world phone.

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The Droid RAZR on Verizon is a global ready device. Not only is it and CDMA, but it has quad band GSM/UTMS radios as well. Verizon chooses to lock the radio so that they can offer their global service coverage package for it. Read through the FCC document and you see that the XT912 is in fact GSM ready.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But its lacking the second sim card slot. Unless vzw has a multiband sim card it won't work. And vzw doesn't.
The Droid RAZR on Verizon is a global ready device. Not only is it and CDMA, but it has quad band GSM/UTMS radios as well. Verizon chooses to lock the radio so that they can offer their global service coverage package for it. Read through the FCC document and you see that the XT912 is in fact GSM ready.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
But its lacking the second sim card slot. Unless vzw has a multiband sim card it won't work. And vzw doesn't.

At least not yet. I'm sure they have something planned. Just a matter of what and when. With the Global Rental service and a plethora of 3g phones with global capabilities that people can temporary swuthc to it's no rush.

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The actual contact points on the simm card are the same. Places like Metro PCS actually have a tool that will trim down the larger simm cards to micro simm size. As far as the simm card slot on the RAZR it can be used as multiband with a simple software update.

The Droid RAZR is a global GSM device. Except that we are at the mercy of Verizon for either an unlock code or a software update to unlock it.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola website gives conflicting information as to whether or not the US Verizon Droid Razr (XT912) is global. The Motodev portion of their website lists the XT912 as having GSM radios, but if you go to the Motorola page for the Droid Razr, it only lists CDMA 800/1900/LTE and no GSM frequencies.

The Motorola Razr XT910 (global version) is listed as using all the frequencies except LTE.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is correct the vzw USA only has 700mhz lte gsm radio. .
The Motorola website gives conflicting information as to whether or not the US Verizon Droid Razr (XT912) is global. The Motodev portion of their website lists the XT912 as having GSM radios, but if you go to the Motorola page for the Droid Razr, it only lists CDMA 800/1900/LTE and no GSM frequencies.

The Motorola Razr XT910 (global version) is listed as using all the frequencies except LTE.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The actual contact points on the simm card are the same. Places like Metro PCS actually have a tool that will trim down the larger simm cards to micro simm size. As far as the simm card slot on the RAZR it can be used as multiband with a simple software update.

The Droid RAZR is a global GSM device. Except that we are at the mercy of Verizon for either an unlock code or a software update to unlock it.

Yes I know I am in the business but I can tell you from first hand experience they know by the SIM SN what kind of SIM card it is. Shouldn't effect anything if you swap from one that uses a mcro sim to one that requires a full sim, but the revers wont work if you are activating the SIM card for the first time and will probably error out if you ever have to have them manually change the IMEI of the phone either during an upgrade or if you need to change it to change a plan feature.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20