Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the razr a global phone?

Sorry if its been asked before, but is this phone ready to take outside of USA? I'm dying to find out.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Default Re: Is the razr a global phone?

No the phone is not a global phone. Currently there are no 4g world phones. And to answer yes this has been asked. It seems like because we have a sim card we can go global unfortunately this isn't the case.

Global Posts
    4,540 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    No the phone is not a global phone. Currently there are no 4g world phones. And to answer yes this has been asked. It seems like because we have a sim card we can go global unfortunately this isn't the case.
    So you're saying the phone can't be used overseas?

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

It has a sim, why wouldn't it be?

It has a GSM antenna...

I'm pretty sure it is a global phone.
    Trying the ONE X again...
    iPhone 4 (RIP)
    Blackberry Torch (BES email)
    NEW MBA 11", NEW 4G iPad 16G

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by vjr021 View Post

It has a GSM antenna...

LTE phones use SIM-like cards but they're actually not compatible with the SIM cards used in GSM phones. None of the LTE phones that are out or have been announced have GSM radios.

Edit: Since the phone has a CDMA radio, it will work outside the US in places with CDMA service (Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and others). But you'll pay high rates to do so since it'll be through Verizon.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 11-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Because vzw GSM is 700mhz strictly for lte. If was a world phone you would need a seperate sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by vjr021 View Post

It has a GSM antenna...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Just because another carrier is cdma doesn't mean it will. If there is no carrier agreement then no service. Also they may be on different cdma frequencys.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    LTE phones use SIM-like cards but they're actually not compatible with the SIM cards used in GSM phones. None of the LTE phones that are out or have been announced have GSM radios.

Edit: Since the phone has a CDMA radio, it will work outside the US in places with CDMA service (Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and others). But you'll pay high rates to do so since it'll be through Verizon.

Sent using Tapatalk

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

I have a friend in South Korea right now. He is looking at getting the Korean version of the Razr. The Korean version supports the following frequencies per Motorola:

WCDMA 2100/850/900/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 HSDPA 14.4Mbps

Looks like the global version is a "world phone." It should work on ATT & Verizon (3g only) in the US as well just going from the frequency lists.

I have heard rumors that the "Motorola RAZR" will be outfitted with different radios than the "Droid RAZR", and if it's true, one would wish VZW would support the non-US version and we could go find one out there!

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

VZW is missing out on a big international business market with this. I was all set to jump on the RAZR bandwagon, but can't be without a phone when I travel.

Sigh, looks like grey market Korean RAZR for me.
    Trying the ONE X again...
    iPhone 4 (RIP)
    Blackberry Torch (BES email)
    NEW MBA 11", NEW 4G iPad 16G

=NotJustAPhone;14000

Sent using Tapatalk
    Just a point of info, if you take your phone out of the US, call VZW international and get the plan it reduces the rates.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

I'm pretty sure he meant 4G LTE phone.

HSPA+ and WiMax are considered 4G and are world phones, but it will be a while before you see an LTE world phone.

The Droid RAZR on Verizon is a global ready device. Not only is it and CDMA, but it has quad band GSM/UTMS radios as well. Verizon chooses to lock the radio so that they can offer their global service coverage package for it. Read through the FCC document and you see that the XT912 is in fact GSM ready.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

OK let me fix it. There are currently no VZW LTE 4G world phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I beg to differ. My photon is a 4g world phone

Remember what the doormouse said. " FEED YOUR HEAD "

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

But its lacking the second sim card slot. Unless vzw has a multiband sim card it won't work. And vzw doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by gozershalmoser View Post
    The Droid RAZR on Verizon is a global ready device. Not only is it and CDMA, but it has quad band GSM/UTMS radios as well. Verizon chooses to lock the radio so that they can offer their global service coverage package for it. Read through the FCC document and you see that the XT912 is in fact GSM ready.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    But its lacking the second sim card slot. Unless vzw has a multiband sim card it won't work. And vzw doesn't.

At least not yet. I'm sure they have something planned. Just a matter of what and when. With the Global Rental service and a plethora of 3g phones with global capabilities that people can temporary swuthc to it's no rush.

The actual contact points on the simm card are the same. Places like Metro PCS actually have a tool that will trim down the larger simm cards to micro simm size. As far as the simm card slot on the RAZR it can be used as multiband with a simple software update.

The Droid RAZR is a global GSM device. Except that we are at the mercy of Verizon for either an unlock code or a software update to unlock it.

The Motorola website gives conflicting information as to whether or not the US Verizon Droid Razr (XT912) is global. The Motodev portion of their website lists the XT912 as having GSM radios, but if you go to the Motorola page for the Droid Razr, it only lists CDMA 800/1900/LTE and no GSM frequencies.

The Motorola Razr XT910 (global version) is listed as using all the frequencies except LTE.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

That is correct the vzw USA only has 700mhz lte gsm radio. .
    Quote Originally Posted by astraelraen View Post
    The Motorola website gives conflicting information as to whether or not the US Verizon Droid Razr (XT912) is global. The Motodev portion of their website lists the XT912 as having GSM radios, but if you go to the Motorola page for the Droid Razr, it only lists CDMA 800/1900/LTE and no GSM frequencies.

The Motorola Razr XT910 (global version) is listed as using all the frequencies except LTE.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by gozershalmoser View Post
    The actual contact points on the simm card are the same. Places like Metro PCS actually have a tool that will trim down the larger simm cards to micro simm size. As far as the simm card slot on the RAZR it can be used as multiband with a simple software update.

The Droid RAZR is a global GSM device. Except that we are at the mercy of Verizon for either an unlock code or a software update to unlock it.
    Yes I know I am in the business but I can tell you from first hand experience they know by the SIM SN what kind of SIM card it is. Shouldn't effect anything if you swap from one that uses a mcro sim to one that requires a full sim, but the revers wont work if you are activating the SIM card for the first time and will probably error out if you ever have to have them manually change the IMEI of the phone either during an upgrade or if you need to change it to change a plan feature.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

Yeah, it was funny watching the reps get mad because "the stupid computer" wasn't letting them scan in the SIM card. It was because they were trying to scan a standard size versus a micro. The system knew which was which and wouldn't let them do it.