Using Mobile Hotspot Feature on RAZR

bhughes719

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question for anyone who has the RAZR and mobile hotspot feature on their plan. When you turn the hotspot on, are you able to connect any devices to it? I absolutely love the phone, but I get so frustrated every time I try to use the hotspot. I turn it on, go to my device I want to connect (I've tried my laptop with Windows 7, my PC, my tablet, another phone) and try to connect, I get a message saying that "Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual", and then a message saying that the connection failed. I tried going into a Verizon store, and they were very helpful (suggested turning 4G off when using the hotspot because it might be causing some trouble), but they never found a solution. I called Verizon to get help and they suggested turning the "Global Roaming" feature on in the settings for some reason, but that didn't work. They had me call from a different phone so they could try to troubleshoot it, and we tried at least 20 different things with no success, so I gave up after 2 hours.

I've previously used the hotspot on the Pre Plus, Pixi Plus (I love the free 4GB of mobile hotspot on those two phones), Pre 2, Pre 3 and a Droid X and had no trouble connecting with those devices. So I guess I'm wondering if it's just my RAZR (I have no trouble with data connection on the phone, so I doubt it's that), or if it's a software bug on the phone. Has anyone successfully connected devices to their phone?

mashline

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine works fine. Use it all the time. The laptop, and xoom, Evan xbox on it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk - over wifi thu my razr

furbymac

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
do you have wifi turned on?? i know when i use barnacle on my og it says the same thing when i kick on barnacle and forget to turn wifi on

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Plug the device into a USB once that error happens. Click troubleshoot and it will fix the problem. Its apparently some sort of IP issue that solved by doing this. Sadly, though, my MHS is useless as websites such as Yahoo won't load. I do USB tethering and everything works perfect. No idea why...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Podz

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hotspot for Droid Razr is correctly having issues with the phone works on limited number of websites and connections, hoping moto will fix it... but multi-device issue at moment as other exchange units with my friends also same issue..... plus we tested with different phones of Razr on different Win7 and Mac machines same issue...

Last edited:

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hotspot for Droid Razr is correctly having issues with the phone works on limited number of websites and connections, hoping moto will fix it... but multi-device issue at moment as other exchange units with my friends also same issue..... plus we tested with different phones of Razr on different Win7 and Mac machines same issue...

I think it is because it doesn't have the automatic option. I have had the same issue.....
I am trying to use PDA Net Tablet. I am having trouble downlaading it again on my tablet.
If there was a weakness for this phone this would be it.....

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I reported this issue to Verizon. I noticed that USB tethering works with no restrictions, though.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Plug the device into a USB once that error happens. Click troubleshoot and it will fix the problem. Its apparently some sort of IP issue that solved by doing this. Sadly, though, my MHS is useless as websites such as Yahoo won't load. I do USB tethering and everything works perfect. No idea why...

Mine won't either. I sent moto an email. If I tether through usb, it works fine. weird.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Vzw tried replacing my sim card to no avail. While at the store I hooked my MB, a bionics, and another razr. The bionic would load yahoo mail. Mine and the razr would not. Sounds like a software problem.

Tricent

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

This issue is related to MTU. I have seen this problem frequently with routers. As a test, I lowered the MTU on my Macbook Pro to 1400 and found that ALL web pages load fine when using MHS.

If you have a Mac, open Network Preferences, select Airport on the left and click Advanced at the bottom right. Select the Ethernet Tab, change Configure: to "Manually" and MTU to custom. Type 1400 in the box, click Ok and Apply.

For Windows users the fix does not appear to be as simple. The MTU can be changed but not so easily. I recommend a thorough web search to find the best method for your version of Windows.

Please post any links or solutions you find for Windows.

Let's hope Verizon/Motorola/Google fix this soon. :confused:

Edit: I posted in the wrong place. This thread is about not being able to connect in the first place. I had the same issue the first time I tried. Here is what I did:

Open Mobile Hotspot Settings-> Configure Mobile Hotspot. At the bottom, change the Client (DHCP) start address to 172.168.20.10

That fixed it for me and I was able to connect my old phone and Macbook Pro without issue. If that doesn't help, try changing the channel as well. If there are a lot of wireless devices using channel 6 in your area you should try 1 or 11.

Last edited:

yddot

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

This issue is related to MTU. I have seen this problem frequently with routers. As a test, I lowered the MTU on my Macbook Pro to 1400 and found that ALL web pages load fine when using MHS.

If you have a Mac, open Network Preferences, select Airport on the left and click Advanced at the bottom right. Select the Ethernet Tab, change Configure: to "Manually" and MTU to custom. Type 1400 in the box, click Ok and Apply.

For Windows users the fix does not appear to be as simple. The MTU can be changed but not so easily. I recommend a thorough web search to find the best method for your version of Windows.

Please post any links or solutions you find for Windows.

Let's hope Verizon/Motorola/Google fix this soon. :confused:

Edit: I posted in the wrong place. This thread is about not being able to connect in the first place. I had the same issue the first time I tried. Here is what I did:

Open Mobile Hotspot Settings-> Configure Mobile Hotspot. At the bottom, change the Client (DHCP) start address to 172.168.20.10

That fixed it for me and I was able to connect my old phone and Macbook Pro without issue. If that doesn't help, try changing the channel as well. If there are a lot of wireless devices using channel 6 in your area you should try 1 or 11.

OMG! After DAYS of trying to fix this issue, I adjusted my MTU and now there are no problems! You are awesome!

By the way, Verizon's upper-tier tech support is aware of the issue and has a huge "super" ticket open to resolve it.

Until they do (since it might take awhile), the MTU fix worked like a charm. THANK YOU! :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
OMG! After DAYS of trying to fix this issue, I adjusted my MTU and now there are no problems! You are awesome!

By the way, Verizon's upper-tier tech support is aware of the issue and has a huge "super" ticket open to resolve it.

Until they do (since it might take awhile), the MTU fix worked like a charm. THANK YOU! :)

Glad to see a fix, but I'm happy to leave it and just tether it. I have no idea how this issue wasn't noticed in build tests.

seamus#AC

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have used the hotspot app free rooted n cracked with sqlite editor. This is a screenshot of lte 4g speed
20111114192025.png