5 hour old razr already dead

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Picked up a Droid Razr about 5 hours ago and have been loving it, until now. All evening it was working fine. I got home, and plugged it into the supplied charger as it was at about 70% battery. I set the phone down and started watching some TV. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that the screen was lit up and it was on the "M" boot logo. A few seconds after that, it gave me the battery screen with on 5% battery then not even 2 seconds later it shot up to 100%. Every time I try to power on the device, it just goes black and nothing ever happens. If I let it sit a second and push the power button again, it goes to the battery screen again and it's just wash, rinse, repeat. I've even tried doing a hard reset with the volume down and power button, but still no luck. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Yea, only thing is, I'm without phone service til I can get around to doing that tomorrow. Since I bought it from a corporate store, Best Buy wasn't of any help (plus, none of their associates knew how to work the Razr). I can't activate my old Thunderbolt using the *228 method either.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Yea, only thing is, I'm without phone service til I can get around to doing that tomorrow. Since I bought it from a corporate store, Best Buy wasn't of any help (plus, none of their associates knew how to work the Razr). I can't activate my old Thunderbolt using the *228 method either.
You can call Verizon from a landline and get you Thunderbolt activated if you are having problems activating it directly from the handset

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Also you can only deal with a corporate store. If you thought best buy could switch it out they can't. And they really aren't technical savvy. That's why I only deal with corporate stores. I sold wireless for an indirect but only corporate stores have techs

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Do a battery pull....oh wait....no.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm laughing at that, cause that's exactly what all 3 (yes 3) Best Buy employees said to do.

And as I was typing this smart ass reply, it decided to start working again. It booted with only 10% battery, which is odd considering it was at 70% when I initially plugged it in about an hour ago. Anywho, if it keeps acting up, it's going back. I should've known that once Motorola decided to start being an iPhone clone, to stay away :-\

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It maybe set up that battery it won't power up till 5-10% my ogdroid was like that. How are u charging it PC car battery pack etc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

zhawks

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That really sucks. Did you try to activate your Thunderbolt online? That's how I activated my Razr and it worked just fine. Just login to your account thru Verizon's website and follow the steps to switch phones.

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
It's all good now guys. The DR started working again. Finally booted with only 10% battery, which is totally odd since when it decided to crap out it was between 70% and 80%. But I'm going to keep a close eye on it and if it happens again in the next day, it's going back!

As far as what I was charging it with, I was switching between the charger that came with the phone, my old DX/OG Droid charger and a Verizon branded car charger.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You can call Verizon from a landline and get you Thunderbolt activated if you are having problems activating it directly from the handset

Unfortunately no he can't. RZR uses a MicroSIM and his old SIM was deactivated once the RZR was activated. SIM cards only live once. :(

That really sucks. Did you try to activate your Thunderbolt online? That's how I activated my Razr and it worked just fine. Just login to your account thru Verizon's website and follow the steps to switch phones.

Doesnt work that way with a 4G phone when you move from one 4G phone to the other. Ideally you can just swap SIM cards like GSM phones but unfortunately the TBolt uses a stranded SIm card and the RAZR uses a MicroSIM.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's all good now guys. The DR started working again. Finally booted with only 10% battery, which is totally odd since when it decided to crap out it was between 70% and 80%. But I'm going to keep a close eye on it and if it happens again in the next day, it's going back!

As far as what I was charging it with, I was switching between the charger that came with the phone, my old DX/OG Droid charger and a Verizon branded car charger.

I would still get your device swapped out at the earliest opportunity. It should NOT do that. Within 14 days you get a new phone after that it is Refurb City :(

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
U can if u have sim adapter.
Unfortunately no he can't. RZR uses a MicroSIM and his old SIM was deactivated once the RZR was activated. SIM cards only live once. :(

Doesnt work that way with a 4G phone when you move from one 4G phone to the other. Ideally you can just swap SIM cards like GSM phones but unfortunately the TBolt uses a stranded SIm card and the RAZR uses a MicroSIM.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
U can if u have sim adapter.

In theory yes but if Verizon knows what kind of SIM card it is by the number and wont let you add a micro SIM to a line if the system says the phone wants a full time SIM. You can kind of work around this by adding the phone with the microSIM first and then later swapping it out but it's kind of a pain if you ever have to change SIM cards.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Actually, this wouldn't work. Once the 4G sim card is deactivated it's dead and can never be reactivated again, you need a new SIM. This is what i was told by Tier 2 tech support.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
U have 24 hours after u deactivate your sim to save it if not its dead.but u need to call vzw to reactive it. And what ever u do never ever do a *228 on vzw sim running phone. Best way to fry it.I learned the hard way.
Actually, this wouldn't work. Once the 4G sim card is deactivated it's dead and can never be reactivated again, you need a new SIM. This is what i was told by Tier 2 tech support.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
U have 24 hours after u deactivate your sim to save it if not its dead.but u need to call vzw to reactive it. And what ever u do never ever do a *228 on vzw sim running phone. Best way to fry it.I learned the hard way.

While this is what some VZW reps are saying real world reports here in the forums have seemed to indicate that isn't the case. The OP can try it but I wouldn't hold my breath '-(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084