My impressions on Droid Razr

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased this phone for my girl on release day and liked it. So I went ahead and got it as a 'renter' until Verizon releases the Galaxy Nexus. O have to say that I have never been a fan of Moto devices but this phone made me think twice. The build quality of this phone is very nice. Although it is light weight the material choices were still very nice. Besides aesthetics, I was also impressed by software. The new Motorola UI is waaay better than their recent iteration in Moto blur. Yes the apps still look atrocious but the new apps such as smart actions really give this phone an edge on comparison to other android phones. Speaking of smart actions, I really can't say enough about this app. It really makes things easier. With GPS triggers and notification actions. its just pure awesomeness. I will truly miss this function when I trade to get the nexus. Also the speed of this device is insane. I thought the gs2 line of phones was fast, but this is easily just as fast of not faster. I guess those TI OMAP processors were everything we thought they weren't :). But the feature that has shocked me the most is the battery life. I have seen forums of people talking about battery life on lte devices and how it sucks. I can not say the same for this device. I am a fairly heavy usage guy and I can't complain about the battery. it lasts me throughout my day easily. From 7am when o remove from charger until I get home at about 5 or 6ish without a charge. Battery doesn't die until around 6-7 and with smart actions, you can turn off unnecessary items like wifi GPS and blue tooth etc. Note: I have yet to turn off 4g.
Well that's just my two cents. This phone is no doubt the best phone on Verizon for now and it will make it hard for me to return. Yes the removable battery blows, but with good battery life I see no reason to pull the battery.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow you just gave me hope that it would be worth my while to get this phone. I'm still holding out for now. I want to wait for the Nexus to come out, then buy the RAZR and in case i don't like it I have a good alternate... the Nexus.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow you just gave me hope that it would be worth my while to get this phone. I'm still holding out for now. I want to wait for the Nexus to come out, then buy the RAZR and in case i don't like it I have a good alternate... the Nexus.

Well with Verizons return policy being extended to January 9th, you can still purchase the razr and return for the Nexus. I will honestly tell you that you cannot go wrong by picking this device up. The only negative that this device has to me at this point, is that it doesnt come shipped with ICS. But, besides that it is REALLY a solid device. Just released at the wrong time with the release of the Nexus imminent.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Droid RAZR .... HTC Rezound ... Nexus Galaxy .... all top notch devices... VZW really hit a tripple play this year ... now give us the new LG with similar specs to make it a Grand Slam! ;)

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Wait, return policy extended to Jan. 9th? Huh? When did this happen, and why? I thought they had a crappy 15-day waiting period. That's why I said that, to wait until I have 2 good phones to pick from, so I can have the other to fall back on within 15 days. I'm confused about this Jan 9th thing.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wait, return policy extended to Jan. 9th? Huh? When did this happen, and why? I thought they had a crappy 15-day waiting period. That's why I said that, to wait until I have 2 good phones to pick from, so I can have the other to fall back on within 15 days. I'm confused about this Jan 9th thing.

It's a Christmas thing, they did the same thing last year.

NeoLogic

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Well with Verizons return policy being extended to January 9th, you can still purchase the razr and return for the Nexus. I will honestly tell you that you cannot go wrong by picking this device up. The only negative that this device has to me at this point, is that it doesnt come shipped with ICS. But, besides that it is REALLY a solid device. Just released at the wrong time with the release of the Nexus imminent.

I have a funny story about this new temporary return policy. I got a renter Rezound because my last phone was a Bionic, and I didn't like it so much. Not entirely because of the screen either. But anyway.

So I had the Rezound for about two days before I couldn't handle it anymore, so I brought it back to vzw in exchange for a Razr. I even mentioned it in a separate thread, but anyways. As I'm checking out, and almost done the representative says, "I hope you like the Razr because you only get one exchange per Two year contract/line"

At that point I'm thinking, why the F didn't you tell me that earlier, I would have waited for the Gnex to drop and weigh my options. Anyway, it was too late to say no to the Razr and I needed to get back to work with a working phone.

So with all that said I'm very happy with the Razr. Screen could be better. Solid colors like dark grey and some blacks look blotchy compared to my Charge and the locked boot loader sucks, but I managed with a DX for a year so I'm happy. This phone is faster than the Rezound, and gets better signal so I'm keeping it with no regrets.

Just know that I was told you only get one return, so use it wisely.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You only get one EXCHANGE. You can RETURN a phone as many times as you like. So, if you decide you don't want the RAZR, just take it back for a refund and activate your old phone long enough for you to drive to a different VZW store and buy a different phone (or use it for a day or two and go back to the same store).

They cannot bar you from a RETURN. The return policy is clearly laid out on your receipt.

NeoLogic

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, thanks dude. It just didn't seem right, but what you said makes perfect sense. Fortunately I love this phone so I shouldn't have to do that. Its been good to me so far.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Solid review. I liked it too, only just too many things wrong for me to keep it. I returned mine, using the OG droid till the nexus finally is released.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You only get one EXCHANGE. You can RETURN a phone as many times as you like. So, if you decide you don't want the RAZR, just take it back for a refund and activate your old phone long enough for you to drive to a different VZW store and buy a different phone (or use it for a day or two and go back to the same store).

They cannot bar you from a RETURN. The return policy is clearly laid out on your receipt.

It doesn't work that way. They will need to reverse your upgrade so that your line is eligible to upgrade again and that takes several days to process.

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm also "renting" a RAZR until the Nexus comes out. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this phone. The build quality is nice, it's disturbingly thin, the screen is still pretty darn good, and the moto skin wasn't terrible. (I'm now running GoLauncher though.)
I've definitely thought about keeping it, that's for sure. We'll see when the Nexus comes out and gets some reviews and I can play with one.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
In my experience this "upgrade reversal process" takes about 15 minutes.

Perhaps it does in a corporate store but indirect seen to be different. Just this morning I called a customer back to let her know that her two lines were finally eligible for update again (reversal went through) and it took 8 business days to complete for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non