Tired of waiting for GN, Hello RAZR

Vincere

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same boat as me. But I was looking to upgrade to a hotspot plan, so 4g with hotspot for $50/mo (6gb) and amazon with the upgrade price of $230 and +100 Amazon Gift card for starting up hotspot...

Here I am, upgrading from the OG.

Reasons I picked the RAZR:

Reports of mostly good battery life.

Lower Resolution Screen (can't see how the GN's battery isn't going to get murdered)

Amazing design, finally saw the phone in person, most breathtaking phone I've ever seen. Even my wife was impressed with the looks.

Processor difference with GN isn't major (see discussion here: 4430 or 4460? Update 2: Does NOT have a 4460 - Android Forums )

Better Build Quality... Kevlar > Plastic (the feel in the hand, don't like the light plastic feel of the Samsung phones)

Edit: Also I really like the MotoActv... hopefully I can scrounge up enough money.

Also I like my always there buttons at the bottom... I use long press on the search button a lot.

Last edited:

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I did from the same reasons on 11.11.11... customer #1. Woohoo.. lol plus SD card support. Flash support. Getting ICS in 6-8 weeks .. no brainer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same boat as me. But I was looking to upgrade to a hotspot plan, so 4g with hotspot for $50/mo (6gb) and amazon with the upgrade price of $230 and +100 Amazon Gift card for starting up hotspot...

Here I am, upgrading from the OG.

Reports of mostly good battery life.

Lower Resolution Screen (can't see how the GN's battery isn't going to get murdered)

Amazing design, finally saw the phone in person, most breathtaking phone I've ever seen. Even my wife was impressed with the looks.

Processor difference with GN isn't major (see discussion here: 4430 or 4460? Update 2: Does NOT have a 4460 - Android Forums )

Better Build Quality... Kevlar > Plastic (the feel in the hand, don't like the light plastic feel of the Samsung phones)

Edit: Also I really like the MotoActv... hopefully I can scrounge up enough money.

Also I like my always there buttons at the bottom... I use long press on the search button a lot.

Got mine as a placeholder till the nexus comes out. But am really liking this phone and really wondering what Googlerola decide to do with it. It could turn into a sort of nexus device because I'm sure Google knows if they update the current Android phones for the next sixteen months then they could establish Motorola as a legacy brand.

garyrh

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This phone rocks. I was waiting for the Nexus and got tired of waiting and I am glad I got this phone and I will not be returning it.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I hate to burst your bubble, but the back is just a piece of plastic with some carbon fiber glued to it.

See the teardown here.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1

NS3sbbSOQLKcfC1i.large

Vincere

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
From that teardown:

"How can something that provides so much rigidity bend so much? The thin plastic, mated with the woven Kevlar, provides a tough yet flexible back cover. With the tensile yield strength of Kevlar being on par with some steels"

Obviously they use plastic in the phone, wasn't suggesting they didn't. But the backplate of the Droid RAZR feels great in the hand, as compared with bare plastic, to completely flesh out my above comparison.

Or if you'd prefer my reaction to be

OH MY GOD EVERYTHIGN I BELIEVED ABOUT THE RAZR IS NOW FALSE!! MY WORLD IS COLLAPSING AND I'VE CANCELED MY ORDER!!!

You can read that line instead :).

I hate to burst your bubble, but the back is just a piece of plastic with some carbon fiber glued to it.

See the teardown here.

Motorola Droid RAZR Teardown - iFixit

Click to view quoted image

Last edited:

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
From that teardown:

"How can something that provides so much rigidity bend so much? The thin plastic, mated with the woven Kevlar, provides a tough yet flexible back cover. With the tensile yield strength of Kevlar being on par with some steels"

Obviously they use plastic in the phone, wasn't suggesting they didn't. But the backplate of the Droid RAZR feels great in the hand, as compared with bare plastic, to completely flesh out my above comparison.

Or if you'd prefer my reaction to be

OH MY GOD EVERYTHIGN I BELIEVED ABOUT THE RAZR IS NOW FALSE!! MY WORLD IS COLLAPSING AND I'VE CANCELED MY ORDER!!!

You can read that line instead :).

I guess I should have said that it is the laser-cut stainless steel frame that gives it its weight and rigidity. Still very cool. I was merely pointing out that the "kevlar" has nothing to do with this, except it feels nice on the fingertips. Since I keep mine in a TPU case, I would never feel it anyway. Nice overreaction though.

Vincere

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess I should have said that it is the laser-cut stainless steel frame that gives it its weight and rigidity. Still very cool. I was merely pointing out that the "kevlar" has nothing to do with this, except it feels nice on the fingertips. Since I keep mine in a TPU case, I would never feel it anyway. Nice overreaction though.

Sorry, I'm feeling a little ill today and took it out on you.

Hugs and friendship?

draconos

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat and decided to finally drop my work blackberry for the RAZR. Especially with the current state of the Verizon nexus debacle

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am tired of waited. And now Amazon has the RAZR for 1 cent...

Even if the Nexus finally launches, I could buy it off contract later and sell the RAZR..

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I, too, bought the RAZR with an idea of waiting out the Nexus and returning it. But I am really happy with this phone. Comparing devices, I've noticed that GB with the toned-down Blur overlay (or whatever they're calling it) looks kind of like ICS, with the blue theming, instead of green. Several of the ICS features are replicated by Blur - panorama mode on camera, reach camera from lockscreen (plus mute control), horizontal app drawer, deleting individual notifications. I've also always liked how the overlays like Sense, Blur, TW have tighter social integration (facebook, twitter) built in. I've always wondered why stock Android doesn't have better support for that. One thing I really miss, coming from both TouchWiz and then CM7, is the power toggles in the notification bar. I still swipe down the notifications trying to reach brightness, wifi, etc multiple times a day.

So, like I said, for the time being, I'm really into this phone. The locked bootloader gives me pause, though. I like messing with ROMs and hacks. I fear that the locked bootloader means no custom kernels, means limited ROM development, means devs will steer clear of this phone. So, when Moto abandons it for updates, as they eventually will, you're SOL. It also means, if a dev community doesn't develop, that we're stuck waiting for motorola to update us. Even if they manage to get ICS out as fast as they claim they will, which is anybody's guess, what about the next update, when they're focusing on their Q2 12 phones?

I guess what I'm getting at, in this really rambling message, is that, if you want to stay up with the latest software, you either need a Nexus device or one that has a robust dev community. I don't know, but I'm afraid we won't get that with this phone, which is why I'm going to seriously consider returning for a Nexus.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to get tired of the people waiting for the GN so much I'm considering the razr more and more....read the Verizon GN forum if you don't know what I mean.

Vincere

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I, too, bought the RAZR with an idea of waiting out the Nexus and returning it. But I am really happy with this phone. Comparing devices, I've noticed that GB with the toned-down Blur overlay (or whatever they're calling it) looks kind of like ICS, with the blue theming, instead of green. Several of the ICS features are replicated by Blur - panorama mode on camera, reach camera from lockscreen (plus mute control), horizontal app drawer, deleting individual notifications. I've also always liked how the overlays like Sense, Blur, TW have tighter social integration (facebook, twitter) built in. I've always wondered why stock Android doesn't have better support for that. One thing I really miss, coming from both TouchWiz and then CM7, is the power toggles in the notification bar. I still swipe down the notifications trying to reach brightness, wifi, etc multiple times a day.

So, like I said, for the time being, I'm really into this phone. The locked bootloader gives me pause, though. I like messing with ROMs and hacks. I fear that the locked bootloader means no custom kernels, means limited ROM development, means devs will steer clear of this phone. So, when Moto abandons it for updates, as they eventually will, you're SOL. It also means, if a dev community doesn't develop, that we're stuck waiting for motorola to update us. Even if they manage to get ICS out as fast as they claim they will, which is anybody's guess, what about the next update, when they're focusing on their Q2 12 phones?

I guess what I'm getting at, in this really rambling message, is that, if you want to stay up with the latest software, you either need a Nexus device or one that has a robust dev community. I don't know, but I'm afraid we won't get that with this phone, which is why I'm going to seriously consider returning for a Nexus.

Hopefully now that google owns motorola, updates will come (hopefully timely)

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I love the form factor of the RAZR so I picked one up as well and so far I'm impressed. Battery life hasn't been a concern like it was with the Bionic despite the fact that it's much thinner. While I may still get the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out, it won't be because I thought the RAZR was a bad phone.

Csdaytona

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the form factor of the RAZR so I picked one up as well and so far I'm impressed. Battery life hasn't been a concern like it was with the Bionic despite the fact that it's much thinner. While I may still get the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out, it won't be because I thought the RAZR was a bad phone.
Same with me. Just picked up the Razr 2 days ago, annoyed with the Nexus delays. The phone is great, good battery life, good reception and the hardware is the best I've ever had on a smart phone.
But I'm very disappointed with the screen. The colors are great and the brightness is good but it looks like I'm looking through a screen door. Check out the review on the verge to see what I mean.
So I'm still waiting for the Nexus, but I am enjoying the Razr.