First Time Android user

kindrudekid

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I took advantage of the recent Amazon Wireless and got a Droid RAZR.

I'm new and will be coming from a Nokia 5800.

My RAZR is scheduled to arrive by Friday.

I will really appreciate if the community can help me with tips tricks and advice and a few resources on ROMS, Rooting and anything that I can achieve with my RAZR . Anything that i should download and be ready with

Also a few queries!
  1. Rooting RAZR from my LINUX OS
  2. Is CyanogenMOD 7.1 available for RAZR
  3. Which Bloatware to remove !

Also what should i do to avoid the data plans, I live in areas with WIFI 24*7!
and any Application that will allow me to record screen via USB connnected to a computer.

NOTE: Linux is my preferred OS, but feel free to mention Windows 7 apps and tricks and related stuff too :)

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android!

The best thing about the OS is how open and customizable it is. Thus, what I might find "bloatware", you might find a really useful app. So once you're rooted, you can remove almost any app you see in the "app drawer". Just be aware that some depend on others -- Maps comes to mind, and be careful removing anything Google -- since a lot of that is baked into the OS.

As always, be careful with root access, you CAN brick your phone. I'm sure you'll find a way to do it from Linux (I did it from a WinXP laptop very easily). I don't think the fully custom ROMs are out for it yet, but the good news is that those guys are working on the next gen of Cyanogen (ICS).

Android Central has some great articles for people just coming to Android. Be sure to check them out. It'll give you a head-start!

Good Luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke