battery drop

brianbrod1

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing battery drop 1 percent every 1-2 min while using phone on 3 g only? Using battery circle and its showing that much of a drop

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing battery drop 1 percent every 1-2 min while using phone on 3 g only? Using battery circle and its showing that much of a drop

That's exactly what I'm getting. With the screen on and on 3g, I'm averaging about 1% of battery drop every 1-2 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. Can any of the guys who are getting crazy good battery life chime in and and let us know if this is normal?

Thanks.

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm getting. With the screen on and on 3g, I'm averaging about 1% of battery drop every 1-2 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. Can any of the guys who are getting crazy good battery life chime in and and let us know if this is normal?

Thanks.

Which smart actions do you have active? Are you using the stock ones, or did you create your own?

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Which smart actions do you have active? Are you using the stock ones, or did you create your own?

I'm using one throughout the day to turn off background sync while the screen is off and one to turn off mobile data while I'm on wifi. My biggest battery hog is the screen and I have it set to 0 brightness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using one throughout the day to turn off background sync while the screen is off and one to turn off mobile data while I'm on wifi. My biggest battery hog is the screen and I have it set to 0 brightness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Would you be able to post your battery use screen?

When background sync is on, it is constantly syncing which could explain your battery drain. I personally don't find it necessary to keep it on all of the time.

Here is what i have set up on my phone:

Prudence-

Triggers: Not Charging

Actions: Background Sync Off
Wi-Fi On (this is to be able to use location based actions)
Brightness: 13%

Battery Saviour-

Display Off
Timeframe Class

Actions: Brightness 30%
GPS Off
Background Sync Off
Bluetooth Off
Cellular Data Off

Even with Cellular Data off you can still receive incoming calls and text messages. However, you will not receive emails so its good to check your phone at least once an hour. When you turn it on, the cellular data should turn back on automatically(based on smart action profile) and any emails that would have been sent to you will be received.

Nighttime Battery Saver

Triggers: Timeframe Sleep
Display Off
Not Charging
Motion Dectector- No Movment

Wi-Fi Off
GPS Off
Cellular Data Off
Bluetooth Off
Brightness 0%

With the above setting, i can leave my phone unattended at night and wake up 10 hours later only to have lost about 9% of the battery. So, if i forget to charge it the phone will not die overnight. Its a useful setting.

Headphone Magic

Actions: Headphones Plugged In

Triggers: Launch Pandora.

That one is just for convenience.

Its good to play around with the Smart Actions to see what they can do for you. If the above doesn't make a significant difference, you should try to disable background data. You can set it so that if an application needs it it will inform you of this and allow you to turn it on for the duration of the application.

If you are on a capped data plan, you should use Data saver. These options can be found in the Data Manager menu.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: AeroEngi

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Would you be able to post your battery use screen?

When background sync is on, it is constantly syncing which could explain your battery drain. I personally don't find it necessary to keep it on all of the time.

Here is what i have set up on my phone:

Prudence-

Wi-Fi On (this is to be able to use location based actions)
Brightness: 13%

Battery Saviour-

Display Off
Timeframe Class

Actions: Brightness 30%
GPS Off
Background Sync Off
Bluetooth Off
Cellular Data Off

Even with Cellular Data off you can still receive incoming calls and text messages. However, you will not receive emails so its good to check your phone at least once an hour. When you turn it on, the cellular data should turn back on automatically(based on smart action profile) and any emails that would have been sent to you will be received.

Nighttime Battery Saver

Triggers: Timeframe Sleep
Display Off
Not Charging
Motion Dectector- No Movment

Wi-Fi Off
GPS Off
Cellular Data Off
Bluetooth Off
Brightness 0%

With the above setting, i can leave my phone unattended at night and wake up 10 hours later only to have lost about 9% of the battery. So, if i forget to charge it the phone will not die overnight. Its a useful setting.

Headphone Magic

Actions: Headphones Plugged In

Triggers: Launch Pandora.

That one is just for convenience.

Its good to play around with the Smart Actions to see what they can do for you. If the above doesn't make a significant difference, you should try to disable background data. You can set it so that if an application needs it it will inform you of this and allow you to turn it on for the duration of the application.

If you are on a capped data plan, you should use Data saver. These options can be found in the Data Manager menu.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the excellent reponse!

I can't post my battery use screen but I can list what it's at right now.

4 hours and 40 minutes off the charger, I'm at 56% with only the smart actions I listed above. Data connection is on all the time and on 3g only.

Display: 44%
Android OS: 24%
Angry Birds: 9%
Phone Idle: 8%
Cell Standby: 7%
and the rest are 2% and less.

I actually just created the Pandora Smart Action. Seemed like a good one. Also, another thing I wanted to mention is that my battery doesn't have a difficult time going through the night without any use. Even without a night time smart action, the battery only drops about 4% in 8 to 9 hours when I'm asleep. The only smart action that is in use at that time is the one to turn off background data when the screen is off and not charging.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the excellent reponse!

I can't post my battery use screen but I can list what it's at right now.

4 hours and 40 minutes off the charger, I'm at 56% with only the smart actions I listed above. Data connection is on all the time and on 3g only.

Display: 44%
Android OS: 24%
Angry Birds: 9%
Phone Idle: 8%
Cell Standby: 7%
and the rest are 2% and less.

I actually just created the Pandora Smart Action. Seemed like a good one. Also, another thing I wanted to mention is that my battery doesn't have a difficult time going through the night without any use. Even without a night time smart action, the battery only drops about 4% in 8 to 9 hours when I'm asleep. The only smart action that is in use at that time is the one to turn off background data when the screen is off and not charging.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Ok, I have two more quick questions. In the brightness menu, do you have the Display Power Saver On or Off ?

What color is your wallpaper? Wallpaper with unsaturated colors tend to increase battery life in devices with pentile displays as the power consumption is decreased to display the image. More info at link below

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/1...splay-on-your-droid-bionic-droid3-or-droidx2/

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have two more quick questions. In the brightness menu, do you have the Display Power Saver On or Off ?

What color is your wallpaper? Wallpaper with unsaturated colors tend to increase battery life in devices with pentile displays as the power consumption is decreased to display the image. More info at link below

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/1...splay-on-your-droid-bionic-droid3-or-droidx2/

Yes, I have Display Power Saver On in the brightness menu. I have the Droid eye that comes with the phone as my wallpaper for the same reason that you stated.

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have Display Power Saver On in the brightness menu. I have the Droid eye that comes with the phone as my wallpaper for the same reason that you stated.

Haha, it was worth a shot. Sounds like you really know your stuff. I am not sure what else you could try. I was going to mention 4G being a drain, but i saw that you had only 3G active. At this point, im a bit confused. If the above doesn't work for you...maybe a factory reset? Maybe, i just got lucky with my battery :-\

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Haha, it was worth a shot. Sounds like you really know your stuff. I am not sure what else you could try. I was going to mention 4G being a drain, but i saw that you had only 3G active. At this point, im a bit confused. If the above doesn't work for you...maybe a factory reset? Maybe, i just got lucky with my battery :-\

Haha, thanks man. It seems to be doing better today. I drained the battery all the way down until the phone shut off last night and then I charged it back up while the phone was off. Turned it on this morning at around 9 am and it still has 46% left. I've been using it pretty regularly including a good 15 minutes of Angry Birds. Over 6 hours and has about half the charge still left...not too bad I guess. Right?

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Haha, thanks man. It seems to be doing better today. I drained the battery all the way down until the phone shut off last night and then I charged it back up while the phone was off. Turned it on this morning at around 9 am and it still has 46% left. I've been using it pretty regularly including a good 15 minutes of Angry Birds. Over 6 hours and has about half the charge still left...not too bad I guess. Right?

Yeah, that's actually about what i get for "heavy" useage. Something like 12 hours(way way less though if streaming netflix in 4G LTE) The longest i've gone without needing to charge is about 31.5 hours.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's actually about what i get for "heavy" useage. Something like 12 hours(way way less though if streaming netflix in 4G LTE) The longest i've gone without needing to charge is about 31.5 hours.

What's the total time your screen is on between charges? I can't get more than 2 to 2.5 hours of total screen time before I have to charge it up again.

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
What's the total time your screen is on between charges? I can't get more than 2 to 2.5 hours of total screen time before I have to charge it up again.

I second that, I would like to know screen on time as well of the users who get 12+ hours of battery.

Also, I was hoping to get another Razr today to compare batteries but since I used a family member's upgrade and then put a sim in it from my work account, it revoked VZW of all responsibility of the phone. I think that is absolutely outrageous! Still within 14 days of purchase and if you put a sim in a phone from another verizon account you lose all ability to do anything but keep/sell the phone. Makes me mad b/c we purchased in store and pulled no trickery, just wanted a shot at a better battery. Sorry, had to rant there a minute.

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

That is a good question. Hmmm.. I really don't have an exact figure because i am never on my phone for 2 hours straight, but according to the manager.

For the 31.5 hour...

Android 24%
Display 21%
Wi-Fi 18%
Voice Calls 13%
Phone Idle 11%
Cell Standby 10%
Defender 2%
Browser 2%

I did post a picture of this in the battery life thread.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
That is a good question. Hmmm.. I really don't have an exact figure because i am never on my phone for 2 hours straight, but according to the manager.

For the 31.5 hour...

Android 24%
Display 21%
Wi-Fi 18%
Voice Calls 13%
Phone Idle 11%
Cell Standby 10%
Defender 2%
Browser 2%

I did post a picture of this in the battery life thread.

Thanks for the info. If you click on the Display icon in the battery manager screen, it'll tell you the total time your screen has been on since the last charge. If it's not too much trouble, post that number with remaining charge %.

Thanks.

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. If you click on the Display icon in the battery manager screen, it'll tell you the total time your screen has been on since the last charge. If it's not too much trouble, post that number with remaining charge %.

Thanks.

Yeah, it will. The problem is the picture is from yesterday and i can no longer access those figures.

However, these are my current numbers.

50% battery remaining

14 h 17m 56s on battery

Display 28%, time on 1h 34m 9s
Wi-Fi 26%, time on 13 h 3m 8s
Android 18% 27 m 45s
Cell standby 9% 14 h 17m 56 s
Phone idle 11%
Browser 5%
Market 2%

I'll do my best to take a picture when this cycle is near completion. Its really annoying though because my phone is not rooted and id prefer not to buy a screenshot app on the marketplace. If there is a free way(without rooting at this time) please let me know!!

Reactions: AeroEngi

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it will. The problem is the picture is from yesterday and i can no longer access those figures.

However, these are my current numbers.

50% battery remaining

14 h 17m 56s on battery

Display 28%, time on 1h 34m 9s
Wi-Fi 26%, time on 13 h 3m 8s
Android 18% 27 m 45s
Cell standby 9% 14 h 17m 56 s
Phone idle 11%
Browser 5%
Market 2%

I'll do my best to take a picture when this cycle is near completion. Its really annoying though because my phone is not rooted and id prefer not to buy a screenshot app on the marketplace. If there is a free way(without rooting at this time) please let me know!!

Thanks man. I appreciate the info.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been on vacation this week, visiting some family outside of Phoenix. Because of this, I don't have any of my docks or car charger, so it has forced me to not connect to power all day long.

I took it off the charger at about 6:15AM. I spent about 45-60 minutes on the phone, surfed the web and Facebook for a little over an hour probably, used google navigation for about 30 minutes, sent 10 or 12.emails and did a little IM on Google Talk. I've spent most the time in 4G areas and I do have 4G turned on.

When at their house I'm connected to wifi with cellular data disabled via smart actions. It is now 8:53PM, so almost 15 hours, we're back to my family memvers home and I'm at 10% remaining.

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I typed that last post on the phone, then checked battery information. The display has been on 1hr 58 minutes, and display is 13%. Voice calls is the highest at 28%.

My display is on auto brightness.