Razr owners who HAVEN'T had (or solved) random reboots?

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
NO random reboots so far! ( hope it stays that way) Only problem I had was screen glitching.. went to verizon store tested 3 others, they all did it. ( put your bookmark widget on your main home screen, then hit home to go to the screen previews, then hit home again.. repeat a few times and you will see that bookmark widget flicker all weird like..) But thats it for me so far.
The black splotchy stuff is not visible on my phone during normal use.. have to really hunt for it in the dark so that is a non issue for me as well.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I started having random reboots after about a week, so I factory reset, then loaded only a few apps and now no more reboots...things I stopped using was motocast, facebook, facebook account for contacts/images, easy tether, maybe a few more....but no more reboots.

linesider75

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I know the original post was looking for those without problems, but I found nowhere else to post this. I've been having rebooting problems, or as VZW is referring to it, power cycling issues since I got my RAZR the day it was rolled out. To lay out the last several weeks as briefly as possible. After only a few days of having problems and trouble shooting, VZW has been very helpful albeit the problem remains, they sent me a brand new device. New device, same old song. More power cycling. More trouble shooting through Tier 2 support which ended with a factory reset, reformat of SD card, and restart with no SD card. Basically where I ended up was powering on a device at it factory condition with no SD card mounted and wait and see. No apps, no downloads, no nothing. A stripped phone. Didn't take but about two hours and it power cycled. Last word from VZW was suggesting a call directly to Motorola telling me they were very customer oriented and were anxious to assist their end users making sure their product worked correctly for the end user. So I call, Motorola. After about 45minutes on hold, following two disconnects, I finally was able to speak to someone. Without going into a lot of detail I was extremely frustrated and got basically no help during that call. In a nutshell, I was told my only option was to send the phone to them for repair and that I would have to do without a phone until such time as the repairs were made and the phone shipped back to me. Are you serious? How can anyone in this day in age we are in expect someone to send them their mobile phone for an indefinite period of time for repairs. I'm sure most would agree, as I told the rep, that this was a completely unreasonable request. Needless to say when I told him I would happily send them my device to figure this issue out as soon as they send one to use in the interim, that wasn't possible. He also told me at one point that this wasn't a known issue to them. That was when I began to lose my cool. I again asked him if he was kidding me, that he need look no further than the forums on his very own website to see pages of replies on this very issue. I guess at this point I'm hoping that someone from Motorola monitors these forums and reaches out to me with some viable option to correct this problem. I spent in excess of $200.00 of my hard earned money, as many here I'm sure did, to "upgrade" to this phone. I don't think it's too much to ask that it work correctly.

NFD929

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine since 11/15, I have been having issues since day one. I have done a factory reset, I have gone to the store and they gave me a new 4g sim card. It reboots all day long. Both my fiance and I bought them on the same day and are both having issues, me way more than her. I thought it was apps so I deleted them all and put the phone to the way that it was from the factory, same issues so I know its not the apps. I was thinking it was a weak signal on the 4g network and the phone switching to 3g and that was making it crash, not sure this is the case all the time. Its really annoying to say the least. I have been back to the store numerous time and I believe if there isnt an update soon to fix it, I will be a iphone 4S customer for sure. None of my friends seem to be having an issue w' them, and everyone that has a Droid Razr is having this very issue and now some of them are getting an unauthorized sim card message that verizon doesn't have an answer for. Even the phone on the local sales floor has the same error message. How do you even sell a phone thats on display w/ error messages on it..

Myself

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm another one who does have reboots. The first couple of times it happened in the afternoons whenever I put it in the car dock, so I assumed it had something to do with the car dock combined with the smart actions. I stopped using the smart actions, and the reboots seemed to stop. Then I started to notice that they have been occurring around 5:30-6am in the mornings (at least on the days when I come in to work that early). I'll either hear it rebooting in my pocket, see it on my desk, or happen to pull the phone out mid-reboot (like just a few minutes ago). I haven't seen any reboots later in the day in a while though, and I'd rather it do this early in the morning. Hopefully they get this fixed soon, but on the bright side, the phone seems to boot up pretty quickly (at least relative to other phones I've had in the past), and at least in my case it hasn't ever done a reboot while I was in the middle of doing anything, so I'm lucky on that front.

azhalvy13

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Preordered mine, not a single problem...No reboots, No freezing, I'm actually still on my original charge too (haha, wouldn't that be nice). Seriously though, I had a OG Droid and D2G and they had the reboot issues but so far (knock on wood) my Razr has been perfect. Lots of apps loaded too...

radon220

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well mark me down as one more having random reboot problems with the Razr! It happened on DAY ONE before I even had service connected to the phone (it was in the middle of activation). Obviously not related to add-on apps (of course the phone is loaded with bloatware). It then rebooted randomly twice later that evening. That was Dec 6. I have had at least one random reboot per day since then. Only reason I haven't exchanged it yet is because I love the phone other than its random reboots. I think I'll work on an exchange today... still within the 30 days. Will be most annoying to have to set everything up again to my preferences.

linesider75

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I just activated my fourth Razr two days ago. I had a reboot problem from day one. Preordered like many others and never have had it work right. Called right away and they sent me another brand new phone. A few days later I started getting insulted with certified like new devices. Long story short, I have been through TWO brand new phones, and now TWO certified like new phones. You read correctly, a total of four phones. New SIM cards each time too. Talked to Motorola at one point. What a joke. Motorola, and VZW too for that matter, both at one point during troubleshooting told me to remove the battery. If I wasn't so interested in having a working Razr I would have hung up right then. After more complaining this morning, and a supervisor, I am being given an option to replace for whatever I want. Then I see the news here in AC bug fix coming to Razr, however, no mention of reboots. What's everyone think?? Replace?? with what?? or wait for bug fix and hope it addresses reboot?? I have until Jan 15th??

cdiar

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You know, when I got my first Droid X last year, I had a lot of random reboots. I took it in to talk to a Verizon associate, followed his instructions to reformat, not download anything, and it persisted. We put it off as a manufacturer's defect and he got me a new one. Maybe you just got a bad egg?

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I experienced random reboots during the first week or so... Once I did a factory reset, no more random reboots.

radon220

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So as I mentioned, I had random rebooting problems... the first one happening as I was activating the RAZR. The random reboots had been getting more numerous. Reformatting the SD card did not help, uninstalling apps did not help, and a factory reset did not help. So I exchanged the device for a new one through the third party retailer (letstalk.com), as I was still within 14 days of activation. The new device has worked flawlessly. No more random reboots! I was overjoyed when the phone prompted for reboot during the OS upgrade yesterday.

shiota

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've been through the same issues listed here. Random reboots since day one as well. Since I'm from Brazil, I guess it's not the same version as yours, but it crashes too often (at least 4 resets a day), without doing anything. If I listen to music, then it will crash endlessly... I tried many things, factory reset didn't fix it, nor did removing third party apps, besides other things listed here. I'm really hopeless by now. To top it off, Motorola Brazil didn't say a thing about any update to fix these issues.

TBacker

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
An update for those who care...

Since I originally started this thread, I had a mysterious week and a half of no reboots (no app or habit changes), then just as quickly it's back to at least one per day.

It definitely happens more when I am on the go (traveling or around the office), so I still believe it is related to the ongoing data connectivity bugs. If I'm home all day it may happen once. If I am out and around the city or back and forth to work, 2-4 times a day.

The recent build 748 made some improvements in many areas, but rebooting is not one of them.

I'm an engineer, so I got pretty active on the Motorola support forum about this and did a ton of testing, log collection, and research on the problem, forwarding the details to their mod who forwarded them to Motorola engineering. The mod was grateful, the silence from engineering was deafening.

To get a bit technical...

What I had found was that the Dalvik VM (the virtual machine that runs all of the phones apps) is getting to a state where it is unable to free enough memory through garbage collection, then starts killing apps, then eventually has an out of memory exception and the phone reboots. Normally the DVM killing off non-core apps is enough for the phone to recover (usually one of those apps is misbehaving). However, I don't think it is allowed to kill core apps (part of the OS / basic operation). So, my guess is that part of the OS has a memory leak under certain conditions, and the phone can do nothing but run out of memory and restart. Because the issue is aggravated by signal changes, and there are a percentage of phones with data connectivity bugs or VZW network issues, it stands to reason that the leak may come from that same module.

Couple that with Verizons LTE network being batty in some areas. I have heard that LTE on a CDMA network is a non-standard setup, making Verizons system very, ehm... unique.

I also discovered that when the phone connects to a known / configured wifi access point, the bluetooth goes off line for a few seconds while the wifi handshakes and initiates. This is repeatedly reproduceable (at least in my case). The hands free in my truck reports disconnection every day as I pull into the parking lot at work, and as I pull into the driveway at home. Most times the bluetooth on the Razr then has to be toggled to get anything to talk to it again.

Bottom line - the radio code on the Razr is still flaky, the network is still beta, and that could very well be the root of the frequent reboot issue some of us have.

Last edited:

furbymac

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
i have downloaded 25 apps. that is on top of however many came on the phone that i can't delete. i use the phone very heavily. i stream slacker radio on average of 8+ hours a day on 4g with a mix of 3g on the way to and from work. i have never had a random reboot. or any issues i would consider to be the phones fault. and i usually plug my phone in at work when the battery hits the 50% mark and that is after 6 hours of continuous streaming of slacker radio on 4g. i tend to check facebook,phandroid, endgadget, and 1 or 2 local area news apps threw out the day. i have a weather widget running all the time but i am not sure how often it checks for updates but i would guess it is around every 15 min. or so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar