Feeling the heat

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Please forgive me if this has been asked already, I am a n00b!

I just got a Droid Razr over Thanksgiving weekend. I've been using the phone actively for about a week and will be turning off my old phone.

I've noticed the phone is giving off heat at times. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's noticeable when the phone is in pocket. If I'm talking on the phone there are times that the phone makes my ear and cheek warm. Warm enough to cause some sweating to occur.

Did I leave the "Hand Warmer" app running?

Also, the battery seems to drain fast. I have to keep the phone on a charger. If I don't have it on a charger, then I have to charge it at least three times (over night, lunch, late afternoon).

Any suggestions?

I went past a Verizon store and was told that heat is normal on Androids and so is shortened battery life, depending on what I have running in the background. They did say that there is a firmware upgrade coming out that may help with the heat issues on the Razr.

They did offer to let me exchange the phone if I bring it in with the box and packaging.

Any suggestions before I exchange the phone?

Thank you,
Neal (the n00b)

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced the same issues on the Samsung Fascinate.
Occasional high heat times combined with quick battery burn. Under Froyo I was charging 3 times a day. Gingerbread has been better to my battery. Also, I notice the heat at the same time as force closes. That might just be coincidence. I'd love to hear some opinions too.

My phone has been repaired after it quit functioning after a drop. I was wondering if it was not completely repaired. I don't like giving up my phone for 45 days, so I have been living with the poor battery life.

GunmetalR56

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The phone does get warm but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's very thin so there isn't much material between you and the processor.

The live wallpapers (that you aren't running) won't affect your battery that much. You most likely need to go into the app drawer and open Task manager and look at all the apps that are running and flag them to close 2 minutes after the screen shuts off.

Also turn off wifi and gps until you need them.

Those things should help your battery life tremendously. I would also look into the Smart Actions and find some that might help stretch your battery such as turning off data when the battery gets down to 15% and turning off backgrund sync etc. late at night.

I downloaded a 4g toggle from the app store and I disable 4g at home so that it isn't boucing back and forth between 4g and 3g (my 4g home coverage is spotty).

Hope that helps.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The phone does get warm but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's very thin so there isn't much material between you and the processor.

The live wallpapers (that you aren't running) won't affect your battery that much. You most likely need to go into the app drawer and open Task manager and look at all the apps that are running and flag them to close 2 minutes after the screen shuts off.

Those things should help your battery life tremendously. I would also look into the Smart Actions and find some that might help stretch your battery such as turning off data when the battery gets down to 15% and turning off backgrund sync etc. late at night.

I downloaded a 4g toggle from the app store and I disable 4g at home so that it isn't boucing back and forth between 4g and 3g (my 4g home coverage is spotty).

Hope that helps.

Same here.. I use "lte switch", if I don't need 4g I turn it off, tremendous difference..

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Hope that helps.

Same here.. I use "lte switch", if I don't need 4g I turn it off, tremendous difference..

Thank you Gunmetal and Klubhead.

So, it should be okay to hold on to this phone and not exchange it?

I just installed Lte Switch. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it behaves.

Thank you,
Neal

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
@Nealj777
Were you already a Verizon (or Sprint) customer, or did you port from AT&T / T-Mobile? The reason I ask is because CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint) tend to run a little warmer than GSM phones (AT&T, T-Mobile). A 10-minute phone call while the phone is charging, and you got yourself a mini space heater. ;)

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
@Nealj777
Were you already a Verizon (or Sprint) customer, or did you port from AT&T / T-Mobile? The reason I ask is because CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint) tend to run a little warmer than GSM phones (AT&T, T-Mobile). A 10-minute phone call while the phone is charging, and you got yourself a mini space heater. ;)

Yes, I am switching from AT&T to Verizon. This is also my first Android Phone. I have an iPod Touch, so I'm still getting used to the Android World. ;)

whatever you do, don't use task killers, they don't help on 2.3 gingerbread

Thank you.

Good to know.

Right now I have 4G turned off via Lte Switch. The phone was a little warm this morning, but not as bad as it was yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day.

Thank you :)

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be behaving today. I have 4G turned off and the phone was bearable.

I only placed two phone calls today (so far) and used FourSquare quite a bit.

The battery lasted about 8 hours above 20%.

When it hit 20% I charged the phone back to 100%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo