Should I get the Razr or the Galaxy Nexus?

tds1

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I am finding this a tough decision. I decided to wait for the GN and was anxiously awaiting its release. I like the Razr, but I felt that it didn't feel that comfortable to hold and the sealed battery concerned me. So, with the benefit of ICS, I waited for the nexus. I have checked out the Nexus several times since it's release. In the VZ store, the Nexus screen is gorgeous. BUT, it is set at Max brightness at the store. Once you turn Auto brighness on for both phones, the screen Razr looks better IMO. The initial reports on battery life on the Nexus are not very good, though that may improve as time goes on. But, the signal strength issues seem to be the biggest concern - no way to know if it will improve. So ultimately, my decision seems to come down to choosing between which will be the bigger issue - the sealed battery on the RAZR or the signal strength on the GN. No doubt overall they are both great phones. I suppose I could go with the $1.99 warranty on the RAZR, as I have been told by Verizon that it would cover the battery since it is sealed within the unit.

Dreshyne2g

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Get the razor. I had the razor and switched to the galaxy nexus. This phone is a piece. I am returning it tomorrow. The signal is an abomination to phones. Places I got 3 to 4 bars with the razor I now get 1 with the nexus. Battery life is way better on the razor. You won't like your battery draining 50 percent on Wi-Fi with no GPS and screen at zero brightness in 3 hours. The only thing that this phone has is ics and screen that it. GET THE RAZR!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarryMe

crupp

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The radio issue can be fixed with a software update. The radio is fine. Seems they have been a little to conservative in the spirit of saving battery. Speaking of batteries...I bought an extended (50%off) and now get a solid 14-16 hours with HEAVY use.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
But what if the problem is the antenna?

Plus you need to factor the time it takes to actually get the update. Since the radio is hardware won't the fix need to be a firmware update? If so, won't that come from Samsung? If so, we all know how slow Samsung is to update. They're even worse than HTC and THAT'S bad.

I am assuming here so I could be wrong, but that is my layman's view. If someone else knows for sure please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cmatt1971

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The radio issue can be fixed with a software update. The radio is fine. Seems they have been a little to conservative in the spirit of saving battery. Speaking of batteries...I bought an extended (50%off) and now get a solid 14-16 hours with HEAVY use.

There is a very good chance that you are correct, but until it is fixed I'm not willing to take the chance on keeping mine. I really like the GN, but if I can't use it as a phone I don't see much use in keeping it.

Good luck to everyone that is keeping theirs, I really hope the software is the problem.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This choice is killin' me. I've had an upgrade available for a few weeks now and I cannot pull the trigger on either of these.

I love my Droid X - it was my gatway device into rooting, hacking, modding, etc. The blur and bloat was never an issue for me, as I jumped in and rooted straight away, running killer ROMs like Apex, RubiX, Liberty, and Gummy Jar, now CM7 and MIUI. For me, Moto is awesome. My problem with the RAZR is that the battery cannot be removed. If I couldn't pull the battery on my X I'd have a stack of about 20 bricked units by now. I plan of modding the hell out of whatever I get next, so I'm a little nervous about this. Besides, I've been following the devs and they all seem totally down for the Nexus.

That said, all the modding I've done on my X has been via files downloaded to and flashed from the SD card...which the Nexus does not even have. Like I said - I cannot pull the trigger until I see how this shakes out with the devs and the modding, rooting, and ROMs they come up with.

I hate to be a "future chaser", but with quad-core processing phones right around the corner I might just wait...

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
This choice is killin' me. I've had an upgrade available for a few weeks now and I cannot pull the trigger on either of these.
I feel your pain!!!

My problem with the RAZR is that the battery cannot be removed. If I couldn't pull the battery on my X I'd have a stack of about 20 bricked units by now.
Worries me, too.

That said, all the modding I've done on my X has been via files downloaded to and flashed from the SD card...which the Nexus does not even have.
What is modding? Modifying a custom ROM?

I hate to be a "future chaser", but with quad-core processing phones right around the corner I might just wait...
I wish I had bought when data was unlimited, but I didn't. Right now they are offering double the data, so I feel I have to jump on it now.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
There is a very good chance that you are correct, but until it is fixed I'm not willing to take the chance on keeping mine. I really like the GN, but if I can't use it as a phone I don't see much use in keeping it.

Good luck to everyone that is keeping theirs, I really hope the software is the problem.
Maybe we will have an answer from VZN soon. They are tweeting they are looking into it.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Ahhhh, the internet - never mind that I'm quoted as saying, "I hate to be a 'future chaser' " and "might just wait", I still got snarked. LOL - Awesome.

From a guy who has had a DROID 3, a DROID Bionic and a Galaxy Nexus in the last six months... :eek:

tumbleweed65

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
One feature commonly overlooked is t alk and surf razr only can in 4g supposedly nex can on any connectiom.best example for me talking on phone and need to look up something on navigation. (I drive for a living) my razr although I love it well have to go back.I got very used to that option with my tbolt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance