Verizon Guy Talked Mom into iPhone 4S over Razr

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi - the Verizon guy talked my mom into the iPhone 4S but she hasn't bought yet. She will buy today.

I wanted her to get the same phone as me so that I can teach her how to use her phone (she is not tech savvy). I am deciding between the Razr and the Galaxy Nexus, both of which are too much phone for her since she won't be doing much internet or email with her phone but I thought if we had the same phone it would be easier for me to help her.

What she wants to do is to learn to text message, but she wants to be able to do it using her voice as simply as possible.

The Verizon guy owns the iPhone and said it is the simplest device to use between the 3 - iPhone 4S, Razr and Galaxy Nexus. My mom needs her phone to be as simple as possible. She just learned how to check email on a computer and use a search engine 2 months ago, but she still gets confused about that. She is 78 years old.

Do you think she should go with the Verizon guy's rec and get the iPhone 4S?

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That makes three of us. iPhone is boring and user friendly. Perfect for the lay-smartphone-user, but didn't have enough gusto for us geeks. Funny enough I got my mom a Droid 3. She's been a pain in my butt with questions for like 2 months now but she got the hang of it!

Reactions: CarryMe

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is a great phone and with lots of great accessories for the non-techie. One of the biggest advantages Apple has is the standard design which permits for TONS of accessories for it. It would be great if Google could get phone manufacturers to at least standardize the port placement so that we could have tons of docks, mounts and add-ons.

MrStylz

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll be the only one to say Android....simply for support reasons. Android can be super easy for her....one screen for exactly what she used. Maybe a second forweather. Second, why spend 200 or 300 for such simple purposes. A simple iP4 or cheaper Android device would suffice. Voice texting is just fine on other Androids. Just my 2 cents

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is a great phone for someone who isn't tech savvy and wants their phone to just work! She'll probably love it. Plus, it will give you a chance to learn how to use the iPhone, too. That's never a bad thing!

Last edited:

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll be the only one to say Android....simply for support reasons.

I'd also suggest an Android phone but for a different reason - screen size.

My dad's in his late 70s and he's with AT&T. When we went shopping I wanted him to find a phone that he liked and was easy to use. He ended up with a Samsung Infuse with the 4.5" screen and he really likes it. (His priority was a good speakerphone and a display that was easy to read.)

Before he completed the purchase I suggested he look at the iPhone but he lost interest when he saw how small the screen was.

MrStylz

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is a great phone for someone who isn't tech savvy and wants their phone to just work! She'll probably love it. Plus, it will give you a chance to learn how to use the iPhone, too. That's never a bad thing!

But that is what i don't get....you don't have to be tech savvy to use Android. Perhaps some help to set your home screens but if anything Android is easier and can gave all your needs on one or more home screens. My older parents use og Droids and find them very easy with a little setup. having home screens seriously makes it an idiot proof device. They are or have upgraded to Nexus this week.

No doubt she'll be happy either way with your help but just giving another perspective

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
But that is what i don't get....you don't have to be tech savvy to use Android.

The point isn't that you have to be tech savvy to use Android , but rather you have to be tech savvy to do the things that Android gives you the freedom to do (e.g. root the phone, side load apps, change settings not accessible through the GUI, unlock the boot loader, use alternate ROMs) over an OS like iOS. If CarryMe's Mom is going to use the phone as a phone and likes the iPhone better, she should absolutely get the iPhone, IMO. Don't get an Android phone just for the sake of it being an Android phone.

cubus

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I had iPhone 3gs for 2.5 years. I think the difference between iOS and android is that the first one is so incredibly locked and simplified that you just can't mess it up by not know what you're doing.
The latter has several layers of customization and it is just much harder to troubleshoot if something is not right.

IPhone for non techy mom is my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12