So i got the Gnex and Razr heres my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I would try the Rezound except for one thing..... screen viewing outdoors. My Thunderbolt was pretty much unusable in outdoor settings especially if it was sunny out. You had to guess what you were taking a picture of.

If that problem was taken care of on the Rezound, I would be all over it.

tdubrpdx

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with this comment. I find LCD's used on android displays to be virtually unuseable outdoors and that was one of the main reasons I chose the Razr over the Rezound. I don't know if Apple's IPS LCD displays are any better at this or not but I'm very happy with SuperAMOLED viewing angles and outdoor performance coming from an HTC Sensation.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So whats the update? :)

2 updates in the first post.

I have a G Nex coming Wed. I wanted to see some things for myself too but honestly the more I read about it the more I probably shoulda cancelled my order the next day. Might not open it and just send it back.

I live n work in a bad reception area....so whenever I read about the reception being weaker than the RAZR....it doesnt help.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what kind of signal you were getting i usually see at least at the min of 1 bar less of signal on the Gnex vs Razr. The Gnex is also way more sensitive to walls. Example i went into a verizon store on my Gnex talking to some one and went to the back of the store and they could not hear me until i went to the front of the store.

Until they get a fix for the reception "If they even can" i cant recamend the Gnex over the Razr if you live in a area with poor coverage. Going for a Razr to a Gnex you can see a big diff in the reception.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I have a G Nex coming Wed. I wanted to see some things for myself too but honestly the more I read about it the more I probably shoulda cancelled my order the next day. Might not open it and just send it back.

I live n work in a bad reception area....so whenever I read about the reception being weaker than the RAZR....it doesnt help.

U might really like it. I know its a matter of taste but I like the asthetics of the Raze build that its water resistant.
I liked the control that was allowed with the Nexus in the developer of the settings menu.
It was a hard choice.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Depending on what kind of signal you were getting i usually see at least at the min of 1 bar less of signal on the Gnex vs Razr. The Gnex is also way more sensitive to walls. Example i went into a verizon store on my Gnex talking to some one and went to the back of the store and they could not hear me until i went to the front of the store.

Until they get a fix for the reception "If they even can" i cant recamend the Gnex over the Razr if you live in a area with poor coverage. Going for a Razr to a Gnex you can see a big diff in the reception.

Call reliability is overall better with the Razr as well as 4G signal

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the clarification

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with this comment. I find LCD's used on android displays to be virtually unuseable outdoors and that was one of the main reasons I chose the Razr over the Rezound. I don't know if Apple's IPS LCD displays are any better at this or not but I'm very happy with SuperAMOLED viewing angles and outdoor performance coming from an HTC Sensation.

Im currently using an iPhone 4s and the screen visibility it just as good as my previous Motorolas....which IMO is excellent.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Im currently using an iPhone 4s and the screen visibility it just as good as my previous Motorolas....which IMO is excellent.

I was impressed as well. The iphone screen 4 did pretty well in direct sun. My co-worker who is the ultimate apple fanboy has one and we did a side by side comparison of my Charges screen and his i4. I was impressed. Also he favored the Razr over the GN.

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear some things up. The Gnex has a GPU that is clocked higher than the GPU in the Razr however that does not mean it will play games better. Due to the increase in the phones resolution the GPU needs to be clocked higher to handle it. Just like PC's resolution is the biggest performance hit when it comes to graphics. I don't know if the Razr is faster at its resolution and lower clock rate on the GPU or if its about the same as the Gnex with the higher clock rate on the GPU and higher resolution. If anyone is interested in this info i can try to do some work and figure this out but i think they are pretty close in terms of gaming performance. But im just tossing this info out there. Just because the GPU is clocked higher. It does not mean it will run games faster if it is pushing a bunch of extra pixels.

Ok so the Razr is a awesome phone and you really cant go wrong with it. Its never gave me any problems but its not without its faults.

So my First Gnex was a dud. Total p.o.s. Took it back and went back to a Razr. Then i found a Gnex on CL new unopened for $575. Planned on getting one off contract anyways so i got it switched over and been using it for a few days now.

Very nice phone. Feels cheap to me but i do like it. Screen is nice phone is responsive and android 4.0 is awesome. However compared to the Razr the batt life sucks bad and the signal is very bad. Side by side i would only get 3 bars of signal to my Razrs full signal. And it seems that the Gnex is more sensitive to signal drops than the Razr. Batt life on the Gnex is dog poo stock. But with some tweaks adjustments in settings and juice defender i can no go a day on one charge.

The camera on the Gnex is nice. Pics take very fast and its must faster than the Raz. However at a distance the pictures are about the same in terms of how clear they are "Razr is running the latest OTA and so is the Gnex" but up close it seems the Gnex is taking slightly clearer pics.

The transition from vertical to horizontal screen orientation on the Razr is faster and i don't know why its so slow on the Gnex. Perhaps this could be changed in updates or custom roms.

I'll post more of my 2 cents soon and if anyone wants to know anything just go ahead and ask and shoot me a pm and i'll see what i can do. I love both phones and i plan on using both. The Gnex has given me some issues but its nothing that people already don't know about. The Razr has not given me any issues.

Update. 12/28/11

Batt. Life has improved with some use on the Gnex. I can now go a whole day with normal use with the stock battery, Still not as good as a the Razr but not as bad as when i first got it.

On my way home i did see that my Razr can pick up 4g further than my Nexus.

Dropped the Razr today from about 5 feet getting out of a truck. It was in a soft case and landed on its top right hand corner. No damage what so ever to the phone. No issues with the phone after. Just posting that i know its not much but it was a drop and thought i would put the info out there on it.

Galaxy Nexus has a invisa shield and the Razr has the Clearguard i think something guard from the Verizon store and the Razr's is a lot smoother it does not have the ripples like invisa shield.

Pics. Not both phones are in cases. The Razr in a thick soft case and the Nexus in a hard case. Pretty close in size. Crappy pics were taken with my Evo 3D. LAst two pics the phones were stacked on on top of another.

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Added unlimited data and hotspot today. On the Nexus when i turn it on and try to run it i get a error. Just says error under the stats. I tried to reboot and still the same thing. Might take 24 hours to fully work so i'll test again then. But other people have reported the same issue. I have not tested this out on the Razr and i prob. wont until after work tomorrow.

Update 12/31/11

Hotspot on the Gnex and Razr working. I tried a few hours after it would fail and it was fully working on both. Both provide N connections and it was pretty useable even with a 3g connection.

Gnex's battey has improved a lot since i got it. I can now go a whole day on one charge easy on the stock battery for the day. I will be getting the extended as soon as i can find one local. However last night for some reason and this is the first time the Gnex did this my Razr never did it. But the android market started sucking up some background data all night. Not a lot about 50mb but it was the first time its ever done that and it should not be for how my settings are. My Razr never done this thanks to smart actions and Juice defender should of disabled the data connection on the Gnex at night when im asleep.

After today i will switch back to the Razr for a week.

Honestly as of right now its hard to say whats a better phone. They are both awesome phones, they both have pros and cons and honestly the way i look at it now its just a matter of what flavor you like. Either way you cant really go wrong with either phone and i cant wait to see how ICS runs on the Razr because if its anything like my Evo3D. When it gets ICS is will be a very very very nice phone.

1/1/12

Just got the extended battery for the Gnex. Stock back cover will fit with it in. Also the incipto case fits with it. Razr is running strong and smooth.

this is a great comparison and i really appreciate your time adding the updates. I'm at the point now do i stay with the Razr or take it back and get the Nex and i think i'm staying with the Razr. Call quailty and signal is great. It feels way stronger and better than the Nex and the battery life is decent enough for me. Wish i could get rid of the bloat on it but i'm not confident enough to want to root the phone.

One of the deal breakers for me is the holder charger for the Gnex in car. The Motorola one for the Razr is perfection and i can't give that up lol

Reactions: jroc

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Well I'll add my 2 cents. I've had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus since release and have not had a single dropped call I can recollect. My office has poor signal areas and even in those areas, I've been able to maintain a call. The only thing I've noticed is that the quality might become a little 'tinny' but that's about it.

As for LTE, the coastal areas down here have the strongest signal and I've had no issues (as of yet) with the phone switching back and forth automatically.

Compared to my old phone (Droid X), the battery life is slightly worse (I used to get 15-17 hours easily). Now it's more like 12-15 but that's with normal use. With heavy multimedia (lots of browsing, Flash videos, youtube etc), it's closer to around 10 or less with the extended battery. I'm not complaining because there's never a 'free lunch' when it comes to LCD screen technology. It's a nice big high-res bright screen, it's going to drink more power, period. If that's not your thing, get another phone. There's also the talk of a possible OS leak happening that might be solved with an update.

In addition I don't see what the big deal is with regard to battery life considering it literally takes a couple minutes at the most to swap AND boot the phone (boot time is under a minute). So........carry a spare and you can watch videos or play Angry Birds all day without fear.

And lastly, unless Verizon sticks their tentacles where they don't belong, the GNexus should get timely updates and improvements like any other Nexus - something to also consider.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Razr is a great phone. I picked up the extended batt. for he Gnex and batt. life is pretty nice now. Stock back cover fit on with it to. I will say i do like how the Gnex fits to my face better than my flat Razr. But all around if i had to pick one on contract i would go with the Razr. Gnex is a nice phone but if im going to be tied to a phone for 2 years the Razr is the better option from what i have seen and using them both. I got ICS on my Evo3D and it runs really good i cant wait to see it on the Razr. I might even like the slight blur that Motorola did to the Razr in the 4.0 update if they keep it down. But honestly i would not be sad with a vanilla 4.0 on it. I do like my eye candy on phones but 4.0 on the Gnex is really nice.

With my typical use at work. On my Razr with smart actions and using 4g when it was up i would be about 80% after work. With juice defender and the extended batt. and network set to cdma only on the gnex i'm at about 90% with the same use. So from what i seen the Razr is better on the battery than the Gnex. If i can only pick one and i have to live with it for a while i would go with the Razr. But im lucky enough to have both so i can switch them up whenever i feel like it.

Both are great phones and really you can go wrong with either. I used both for pretty much everything for some time now and i'm happy with both. I don't retreat buying either one. Razr $299 and the Gnex off contract from craigslist for $500.

PS. If you got a Razr and you want the kevlar to stand out a little more. Slap a full body screen protector on. It really brings out the kevlar on the back. I can take a picture tomorrow if you guys want. Also i seen the white Razr and its a sharp looking phone. However its the pearl white Cadillac. Really nice looking however it just did not make me want it.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
With my typical use at work. On my Razr with smart actions and using 4g when it was up i would be about 80% after work. With juice defender and the extended batt. and network set to cdma only on the gnex i'm at about 90% with the same use. So from what i seen the Razr is better on the battery than the Gnex. If i can only pick one and i have to live with it for a while i would go with the Razr. But im lucky enough to have both so i can switch them up whenever i feel like it.

Yea, I have a G Nex coming tomorrow. I got a real dilemma if I compare some things and it turns out fine..nothing to do with the RAZR tho.

Yea...from Anandtech's Bench tool and other sites doing battery life tests...it seems to be better on the RAZR overall. Battery life is something the Bionic does well too. This is with stock batteries.

They will always have pros n cons, there is no best phone out, hasnt happened yet. Just the best phone that fits your wants n needs.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Wife has GN while I went with the razr. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. Ics is really nice, but i'm perfectly happy with GB..guess its just a comfort thing..i'm used to it and I like it.
She has had no issues with signal, however using the alarm clock is a bust, the speaker is just too soft.
Both phones are light weight with nice screens. I've seen the specs are better for the GN, but honestly I can't tell the difference. The colors are a little more saturated on the GN, but that is more of a personal taste thing.
Cameras on both are decent, but neither measure up to what you can get on the Rezound. I'm still not in love with moto cameras. They still take too long to focus properly. GN is super fast, but doesn't exactly produce the best quality. It has nothing to do with 5MP vs 8mp..i'm always amazed at the "geeks" who get hung up on this..know a lot about devices, but nothing about photography.
My advice would be to go try them both out before you decide, but whatever your choice..your getting a nice phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Update.

Gnex's 3G is dead. Final Verdict is the Gnex is a p.o.s. and the Razr is a far better phone. Avoid the Gnex unless you like to carry around 2 or more phones.

Update.

3g is back and working after throwing it against the wall. Maybe its a comy and only understands force.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Update.

Gnex's 3G is dead. Final Verdict is the Gnex is a p.o.s. and the Razr is a far better phone. Avoid the Gnex unless you like to carry around 2 or more phones.

Update.

3g is back and working after throwing it against the wall. Maybe its a comy and only understands force.

LMAO!!.

Aaww man.. Sounds like my experience with the G Nex. It started out fine, than as the return date approached, it seemed to give up the ghost right at the end. Phone reception ...that actually surprised me by being good in the beginning....took a turn for the worse when I actually tried to use it while out n about. That was the deciding factor for me sending it back. That was also the reason I held onto it so long.

My unscientific guess is the G Nex doesnt handle going in n out of different types of reception areas too good. Other than that it was nice. ICS bugs I could deal with knowing its a new OS.

Did I have a bad phone? My RAZR and Rezound both didnt have the issue with reception I ran into with the G Nex. All 1st phones. Sometimes....it is what it is...or HTC and Motorola have better quality control, testing than Samsung.

4.0.3 radios did improve 3G reception for the G Nex tho. But thats all it improved for me.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a huge drop to no signal today, but it was inside a masonry building which was a hospital. but it picked up the free wifi quickly...faster then my dinc did. all a matter of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair