So i got the Gnex and Razr heres my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just to clear some things up. The Gnex has a GPU that is clocked higher than the GPU in the Razr however that does not mean it will play games better. Due to the increase in the phones resolution the GPU needs to be clocked higher to handle it. Just like PC's resolution is the biggest performance hit when it comes to graphics. I don't know if the Razr is faster at its resolution and lower clock rate on the GPU or if its about the same as the Gnex with the higher clock rate on the GPU and higher resolution. If anyone is interested in this info i can try to do some work and figure this out but i think they are pretty close in terms of gaming performance. But im just tossing this info out there. Just because the GPU is clocked higher. It does not mean it will run games faster if it is pushing a bunch of extra pixels.

Ok so the Razr is a awesome phone and you really cant go wrong with it. Its never gave me any problems but its not without its faults.

So my First Gnex was a dud. Total p.o.s. Took it back and went back to a Razr. Then i found a Gnex on CL new unopened for $575. Planned on getting one off contract anyways so i got it switched over and been using it for a few days now.

Very nice phone. Feels cheap to me but i do like it. Screen is nice phone is responsive and android 4.0 is awesome. However compared to the Razr the batt life sucks bad and the signal is very bad. Side by side i would only get 3 bars of signal to my Razrs full signal. And it seems that the Gnex is more sensitive to signal drops than the Razr. Batt life on the Gnex is dog poo stock. But with some tweaks adjustments in settings and juice defender i can no go a day on one charge.

The camera on the Gnex is nice. Pics take very fast and its must faster than the Raz. However at a distance the pictures are about the same in terms of how clear they are "Razr is running the latest OTA and so is the Gnex" but up close it seems the Gnex is taking slightly clearer pics.

The transition from vertical to horizontal screen orientation on the Razr is faster and i don't know why its so slow on the Gnex. Perhaps this could be changed in updates or custom roms.

I'll post more of my 2 cents soon and if anyone wants to know anything just go ahead and ask and shoot me a pm and i'll see what i can do. I love both phones and i plan on using both. The Gnex has given me some issues but its nothing that people already don't know about. The Razr has not given me any issues.

Update. 12/28/11

Batt. Life has improved with some use on the Gnex. I can now go a whole day with normal use with the stock battery, Still not as good as a the Razr but not as bad as when i first got it.

On my way home i did see that my Razr can pick up 4g further than my Nexus.

Dropped the Razr today from about 5 feet getting out of a truck. It was in a soft case and landed on its top right hand corner. No damage what so ever to the phone. No issues with the phone after. Just posting that i know its not much but it was a drop and thought i would put the info out there on it.

Galaxy Nexus has a invisa shield and the Razr has the Clearguard i think something guard from the Verizon store and the Razr's is a lot smoother it does not have the ripples like invisa shield.

Pics. Not both phones are in cases. The Razr in a thick soft case and the Nexus in a hard case. Pretty close in size. Crappy pics were taken with my Evo 3D. LAst two pics the phones were stacked on on top of another.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Added unlimited data and hotspot today. On the Nexus when i turn it on and try to run it i get a error. Just says error under the stats. I tried to reboot and still the same thing. Might take 24 hours to fully work so i'll test again then. But other people have reported the same issue. I have not tested this out on the Razr and i prob. wont until after work tomorrow.

Update 12/31/11

Hotspot on the Gnex and Razr working. I tried a few hours after it would fail and it was fully working on both. Both provide N connections and it was pretty useable even with a 3g connection.

Gnex's battey has improved a lot since i got it. I can now go a whole day on one charge easy on the stock battery for the day. I will be getting the extended as soon as i can find one local. However last night for some reason and this is the first time the Gnex did this my Razr never did it. But the android market started sucking up some background data all night. Not a lot about 50mb but it was the first time its ever done that and it should not be for how my settings are. My Razr never done this thanks to smart actions and Juice defender should of disabled the data connection on the Gnex at night when im asleep.

After today i will switch back to the Razr for a week.

Honestly as of right now its hard to say whats a better phone. They are both awesome phones, they both have pros and cons and honestly the way i look at it now its just a matter of what flavor you like. Either way you cant really go wrong with either phone and i cant wait to see how ICS runs on the Razr because if its anything like my Evo3D. When it gets ICS is will be a very very very nice phone.

1/1/12

Just got the extended battery for the Gnex. Stock back cover will fit with it in. Also the incipto case fits with it. Razr is running strong and smooth.

1/17/12

Gnex's 3g is dead. Cant get a 3g signal anywhere. Razr is picking it up just fine. Final verdict is the Gnex is a cheap p.o.s. and you should avoid it.

I honestly think it depends on location cause my gnex picks up reception just fine. In fact better than my moms thunderbolt or my buddies razr. With an update the gnex will have better reception

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I remember someone here asking here... what is really blurred? Other than a few Widgets. What is blurred?

Sent from my HTC Edge using Tapatalk

That was me and I posted posted the same question on two different sites. To this day no one on either this forum or Droid Forums.com can tell me what is blurred, aside from a few widgets. To me that means that Moto has made it so subtle that it really isn't noticeable at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That was me and I posted posted the same question on two different sites. To this day no one on either this forum or Droid Forums.com can tell me what is blurred, aside from a few widgets. To me that means that Moto has made it so subtle that it really isn't noticeable at all.

To begin with the home screen is blurred.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Blur is a OS on android. It is a restructure of processes and their origin. To put it simply, it is Motorola software on top of pure android. As far as affected screens? That is harry potter stuff, because they all are affected.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Blur is a OS on android. It is a restructure of processes and their origin. To put it simply, it is Motorola software on top of pure android. As far as affected screens? That is harry potter stuff, because they all are affected.

Blur isn't an OS, it's a modification to Android. I know what it is, but please describe to me what modifications were made to Android to change it.

Not one person has been able to describe to me what Moto changed. All people say is that "the whole thing is changed " or "Blur is terrible, it's everywhere!". Funny thing is that for something that is supposed to be such a drastic change to Android, no one has been able to describe what those changes are.

Matias openly admitted in the ICS introduction that he liked the OEM skins and that they actually borrowed some of the ideas from Blur, Sense and Touchwiz and put them into ICS. So here is something to think about......

If Google took ideas from the various OEM skins and incorporated them into ICS, isn't ICS itself skinned?

To begin with the home screen is blurred.

I find it hilarious that you have openly admitted in various threads that you hate OEM skins but love ICS. But ICS has borrowed many of it's visual changes from the very skins you dislike so much.

Here is my post from the other site.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/189073-how-much-blur-really-razr-3.html

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Blur isn't an OS, it's a modification to Android. I know what it is, but please describe to me what modifications were made to Android to change it.

Not one person has been able to describe to me what Moto changed. All people say is that "the whole thing is changed " or "Blur is terrible, it's everywhere!". Funny thing is that for something that is supposed to be such a drastic change to Android, no one has been able to describe what those changes are.

Matias openly admitted in the ICS introduction that he liked the OEM skins and that they actually borrowed some of the ideas from Blur, Sense and Touchwiz and put them into ICS. So here is something to think about......

If Google took ideas from the various OEM skins and incorporated them into ICS, isn't ICS itself skinned?

I find it hilarious that you have openly admitted in various threads that you hate OEM skins but love ICS. But ICS has borrowed many of it's visual changes from the very skins you dislike so much.

Here is my post from the other site.

How much Blur is really on the Razr? - Page 3

I can't disagree more. Blur is an OS and Motorola services that run are part of that. Why you want semantics is beyond me. We all know what OS is underneath.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I guess the question is...what is it about Blur that some ppl hate so much? In all honesty....Sense UI is more like an OS, Blur is more like a UI. I like them both....but Blur is the lightest UI and closest to stock Android than Sense UI and Touchwiz.

Seen the update to the OP... I dont know what to say anymore about the G Nex and reception. Those that got a decent working one, great. It works fine everywhere you hang out, spend most of your time, great.

I think will save my other upgrade for a quad core or VoLTE phone if none of these can do that in 2013. I was gonna go back to a G Nex if/when the issues are fixed. Who knows...things may be better 6+ months from now...problem is newer phone will be out then.

Do your research ppl, test and compare these phones to others if you can...thats all I can say. Back in 2009, I thought about switching carriers because all of a sudden my phone didnt work as good. Turns out it wasnt the carrier....it was the phone...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Any time your information is run on third party servers..... That is a system of operations. A UI would only affect the "look " but all skins have services built in; hence, an OS.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Now hairs are really being split. You are the first EVER to call Blur, Sense and Touchwiz and OS in and of itself.

I don't think anyone else truly thinks or believes that. But you have an opinion and I respect that. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

I know why another in this thread claims to have Blur, but he has agenda.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Now hairs are really being split. You are the first EVER to call Blur, Sense and Touchwiz and OS in and of itself.

I don't think anyone else truly thinks or believes that. But you have an opinion and I respect that. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

I know why another in this thread claims to have Blur, but he has agenda.

Out of context. Happens all the time on forums. I NEVER said of itself. Clear that and realize OEM skins are built on android. K? However, unique services are built in and run WITH android. If you think Touchwiz blur and sense only change the "look" and don't run operations, I feel very sad. Look at your log sometime. They ALL run operations and go beyond the "look" hence are operating systems. Semantics. What is wrong with third party operations? They "enhance the device?" right?

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, this thread has certainly gotten out of control.

I've been on Samsung (Fascinate) for nearly two years now. Although I haven't used Touchwiz for the past year as a "skin" / launcher. I prefer ADW Launcher EX (which ICS has copied heavily from) over TW.

Seems like a silly argument going on here. No matter who the phone manufacturer is, you can customize it the way YOU would like. The joy of Android... no matter what VERSION of the OS your device is running, it's having CHOICES and making it YOUR'S.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Anytime someone said in the thread title that your phone is a ceap p.o.s. don't get it, expect great threads okay! Lol, yes android is customizable, and boot loaders becoming unlocked are the key factor in that one. Off to work for me. "silly out of control thread, he he,"

GRB11

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
The basic concept of an OS is being distorted by some. Simply handing off to different functions (customized or not) does not constitute extending the OS. Once again, this thread has gone off the rails. This could be a good comparison of the two latest Android phones describing advantages and disadvantages of HW and SW with the understanding that neither phone is the overall "best," but simply the best for your purposes. Information exchange is supposed to be the objective here and can be valuable to those who are getting ready to buy or come to the conclusion they'd like an exchange.

Reactions: androidatic

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Alright, you win. Have fun:) lol.
I know that blur is built on androids OS much like Ubuntu is built on Linux. For those that think blur sense or Touchwiz doesn't change how the system operates (sub system, skin, whatever semantics make you feel right) and is only a UI tweak, fine. So be it lol, I don't care at all, "listens to crazy train."

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Alright, you win. Have fun:) lol.
I know that blur is built on androids OS much like Ubuntu is built on Linux. For those that think blur sense or Touchwiz doesn't change how the system operates (sub system, skin, whatever semantics make you feel right) and is only a UI tweak, fine. So be it lol, I don't care at all, "listens to crazy train."

Some people just don't get it. Not even worth bothering with them.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, this thread has certainly gotten out of control.

I've been on Samsung (Fascinate) for nearly two years now. Although I haven't used Touchwiz for the past year as a "skin" / launcher. I prefer ADW Launcher EX (which ICS has copied heavily from) over TW.

Seems like a silly argument going on here. No matter who the phone manufacturer is, you can customize it the way YOU would like. The joy of Android... no matter what VERSION of the OS your device is running, it's having CHOICES and making it YOUR'S.

I'm not so sure that ICS copied from ADW. From your list of phones, it doesn't look like you've really seen android without an OEM skin.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not so sure that ICS copied from ADW. From your list of phones, it doesn't look like you've really seen android without an OEM skin.

Unless you watch Matuas' ICS intro. If you didn't then you might actually think that ICS is original.

Some people just don't get it. Not even worth bothering with them.

Said by a Nexus owner in a Razr forum. LOL.

Just because it's pure Android, doesn't make it better. Even the current Android devs have admitted that.

Last edited:

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I started with a G1, then a Nexus One, then 2 DINCs, then 3 Fascinates.. I've rooted them all and tried multiple ROMS. In between I've used multiple BB's and iPhones for work. I've also had 30 years of IT experience.

Anything else you need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.