charging the battery? Let it drop right down to 5% or go higher

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
is it ok nowadays to let a new battery go down to to 5% once its been fully charged the first time out the box? Or will this affect the long term life of the battery.
Is there a % of battery life you normally wait till you charge it back up again?

I'm asking as i went from perfect batt life to crap all around the same time i did the OTA update and i'm trying to confirm whether it was the charging or the update now i have another phone

A VZW rep emailed today to say It's actually recommended to let the charge go as low as possible

Thoughts? what do you do?

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you need to retrain your battery. I believe you can recharge it whenever you want and can do multiple, shorter charged throughout the day.

Something might have changed on your Razr after the update. Check your Location and Security settings. Is the Verizon location checkbox now active when it wasn't before the update? Unchecked it if applicable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: charging the battery? Let it drop right down to 5% or go high

i've had a couple of others say don't let it go down to single digits and are suggesting charging at 20%. Its a tricky one sometimes. There are other things running on the old phone that has the OTA running like the VZW location agent. This is not on the new phone and its checked off on the location settings

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Read up on it on battery sites, not phone sites. There is so much BS out there in regard to the LI-Ion battery, how it can't be discharged, how it can be overcharged, etc,. and it is mostly due to people having read about or had experiences with Metal or Cadmium batteries.(Isn't the battery in the Razr Li-Ion Polymer? Believe it is, saw a photo of it and is was labeled polymer.)

Here's one link:
Advantages & Limitations of the Lithium-ion Battery - Battery University

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I never worry about it to tell you the truth... Had the same battery in some of my previous phones for over a year, not a problem...

I normally consider when I start getting down to the 20% range, to start looking for a place to plug in at.... I would especially recommend this if you running stock and relying on the stock battery meter which isn't very accurate.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Lithium Ion batteries are not supposed to have memory but I personally run my battery down to single digits before I charge. I've also run the battery completely down and recharged without problems. I actually, condition my battery this way especially when new. Keeping a lithium ion battery on a charger too much can actually reduce battery life.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Keeping a lithium ion battery on a charger too much can actually reduce battery life.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Link for this? I would be interested in reading this. I am not convinced that leaving a device on a charger will "ruin" it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

the one thing i discovered is every one has a different opinion on this lol. I'll be cautious and let it go to 20 and then charge it up. I know one thing though, this update eats the battery life