CNET's best phones of 2011 ( Razr no.1)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw this the other day.

I just have a problem with a phone being out less than 2 months being considered the best for the whole year.

IMO the RAZR and G Nex shouldnt be on the list. Now if they did this the middle of this year for last year phones...maybe. Maybe they see less issues for it vs other phones. Who knows.

Anyway...way to go RAZR...lol.

Reactions: debblr#CB

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I saw this the other day.

I just have a problem with a phone being out less than 2 months being considered the best for the whole year.

IMO the RAZR and G Nex shouldnt be on the list. Now if they did this the middle of this year for last year phones...maybe. Maybe they see less issues for it vs other phones. Who knows.

Anyway...way to go RAZR...lol.

That seems to be the problem with Android and the community. When the blogs review a lot of newer devices, they deem it the best, and by the end of the year, the earlier "best" phones are forgotten and overshadowed by the ones that came out recently

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be the problem with Android and the community. When the blogs review a lot of newer devices, they deem it the best, and by the end of the year, the earlier "best" phones are forgotten and overshadowed by the ones that came out recently
The same thing happens with music and especially movies. If you want your movie to win Oscars release it just before the voting. The movies from 11 months ago are long forgotten.

How much a phone sold that year has some bearing but it is really the specs.

If you want to have the best phone of the year, release it with the best specs in October or November.

debblr#CB

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just said the same thing outloud, but since I have the razr after residing in the bionic I'm happy it on the list.

Sent from my NookColor using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happens with music and especially movies. If you want your movie to win Oscars release it just before the voting. The movies from 11 months ago are long forgotten.

How much a phone sold that year has some bearing but it is really the specs.

If you want to have the best phone of the year, release it with the best specs in October or November.

Music is different. Artists are able to promote themselves and make themselves relevant over a long period of time per album (if done correctly). Not sure if movies are the same as well either being that if it's a big hit, critics and reviewers will critique it over time and word of mouth will continue to build up box office sales. Case in point: Inception, Toy Story 3, Avatar. Android is very different. Unless the carrier (or OEM) is putting money up behind the phone, it will be quickly overshadowed (on the net at least) by the next rumor/upcoming device

WCapers

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Razr, King of the hill? I think so, I have played with them all. Even though the Razr was only slightly better or equal to some of the contenders, its build quality and form factor put it over the edge. That being said Motorola's new Razr phones are sharp devices. As an extremely happy Razr owner, the only device that could cut me away from my Razr at this time would be another Razr -- the Razr Maxx.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Razr, King of the hill? I think so, I have played with them all. Even though the Razr was only slightly better or equal to some of the contenders, its build quality and form factor put it over the edge. That being said Motorola's new Razr phones are sharp devices. As an extremely happy Razr owner, the only device that could cut me away from my Razr at this time would be another Razr -- the Razr Maxx.

So many puns..... Yet I agree that maybe It shouldn't have been counted in the best. Since it came out very late in the year. But then it would never have made next years list.

Sent from my HTC Edge using Tapatalk

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Good choice on the list for Cnets part. I got the Gnex and Razr and its really close and after a lot of use on both i agree with the Razr taking the number 1 spot. However its very close.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I got both too. And after 2 days I would say that overall...I would pick the RAZR too. Especially for folks new to Android or smartphones in general.

Even tho a new Android OS might be a good thing to get started on for new folks...I'm talking about the overall experience.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
My personal choices for the best

1. HTC Rezound
2. Droid RAZR
3. SGSII
4. HTC Vivid
5. HTC Nitro (very little experience with this one but it is possible it would be rated higher if I had)

Honorable Mention: Galaxy Nexus -- ICS is awesome but the device itself lacks behind all of the above

And as for the best of the year being released at the end of the year with the spec race as fierce as it is this is only natural. Is there anyone who actually thinks the HTC Fireball or Droid 4 are gonna be the best of 2012? No of course not because they will e one-upped many times over by the end of the year.

imtoomuch

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read the article, but obviously call/signal quality isn't weighted as heavily as it should be (Galaxy Nexus). These are phones not tablets or gaming devices.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

The Razr Maxx should be awwwwwesome