Phone says it's connected to HDMI when it's not.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My Droid Razr notification bar says it is being connected to HDMI cable when it is not. Nothing is connected to my phone. Does any one else have this problem? It is also not letting me watch any videos, whether its from YouTube, break.com,OK or my own recordings. I've restarted my phone and no good. Do you guys think I'll need to do a hard reset?

Sent from my HTC Edge using Tapatalk

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I would try that or the factory reset in the settings menu, if simply powering the phone off doesn't fix the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gumdrop123

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. It didnt let me watch videos or take pictures. Verizon Rested thet phone didnt fix anything. I replaced my droid razor and got a new one. No good. The same thing happened again just yesterday. Disappointed.

ddill08

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Got this phone for Christmas, have been having the same problem with the HDMI cable connected. I can go to settings for HDMI and forceclose it but it only works until you turn the phone off, (not completely off) and then it comes right back. Also now having problems with the camera, you can take pictures but cannot see on the screen what you are taking a picture of.... I owned the original Droid for over 2 years and never had problems, except maybe with a forceclose every now and then...but not too impressed with this one so far. Will be visiting Verizon this weekend...$299 for a little over a month is way to much to pay...

rockytoprazr

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I recently had same problem took my phone into Verizon store i purchased my phone at. They tryed soft reset. Then told me call 1-800-922-0204 from phone other than Razr. Phone number is Verizon my phone i got as Christmas Present so wasnt old. Anyways called number talked to I.T. guy he tryed going through different steps. Said this usually 1 of 2 things 1 HDMI prongs on top of phone could be bent making phone think HDMI is connected when its not which mine wasnt. Then they said it appeared to be hardware problem. So they overnighted me new phone through Fed.Ex & asked for old phone to be shipped back. Guess to run tests on it. Sorry for such long post but hopefully this will help out anyone else who has this annoying problem! Heck i dont even have HDMI cable to plug into my phone in 1st place. Well Hope this helps!

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I did a factory reset and it helped a little bit, but it still does it. I noticed that when I am charging my fone it does it more frequently. Sometimes I try to take pictures but nothing shows though my screen. I can take a pic and view it afterwards but not as I'm taking the pic. The menu settings and shutter button is there but nothing else. This happens every now and then. I am going to call to get a replacement soon so I can use this device without being interrupted all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Got my Razr back in December. The problem didn't start until this past week but it's pretty annoying. I don't seem to have the camera issue that some people are having, but I do have the constant HDMI notification. I do not own an HDMI cord, nor have I ever plugged anything into the HDMI port on my phone....

I'm weary of sending my phone in for a refurbished one, or doing a factory reset and losing all my stuff when people are saying that the same thing just continues happening after the reset and after the new phone.

I think I might hold out and see if Motorola pushes out an update to fix it..... although, that will probably take a while.. :-\

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Got my Razr back in December. The problem didn't start until this past week but it's pretty annoying. I don't seem to have the camera issue that some people are having, but I do have the constant HDMI notification. I do not own an HDMI cord, nor have I ever plugged anything into the HDMI port on my phone....

I'm weary of sending my phone in for a refurbished one, or doing a factory reset and losing all my stuff when people are saying that the same thing just continues happening after the reset and after the new phone.

I think I might hold out and see if Motorola pushes out an update to fix it..... although, that will probably take a while.. :-\

I had to get a replacement device. :-( but its ok. It works now. Hopefully ics fixes this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MP_95

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I just ran the USB debugging option (under developer options) and haven't had an issue with it, I connected it to my HDMI cable and turned the phone on and off and still no issue. I'll update if this changes.:)

noamparn

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a similar thing start a few days after she got her RAZR Maxx, but mine (purchased at the same time) was fine.
After speaking to Verizon (who tole me to make sure the HDMI cable was unplugged - as if I couldn't figure that one out myself), I took a toothpick, and tried to see if the hdmi connector was dirty. Sure enough, it seemed to be a bit loose (I could wiggle it just a hair with the toothpick), and when I did that, it would go in and out of HDMI mode. So, I took it back to the store (still within the 14 day "no questions asked" return window, and got a brand-new replacement.

kevgun76

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me also...under system settings go to display menu...under that there's a box for HDMI connections ...make sure that box is not checked!!! That has solved the problem for me so far!

minion757

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
My droid rzr survived after I left it on the roof top of my car. I found it a ways down the road with some scratches on the back. When I turned it on I noticed that the HDMI was being detected without the cable being inside. I figured out that the little chip in the HDMI slot at the top of the phone was slightly bent. I then went into SETUP, then into DISPLAY, and unchecked the HDMI Connection (enable to detect HDMI cable) and now my phone is back to normal. If I want to use the HDMI cable I just check the box to enable the HDMI. Hope this helped!

Creatrixsblood

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this.. I ran into this issue with a refurbished phone, and although i could not wiggle my port, the toothpick seems to have dislodged some dirt and my phone is functioning normally.

Colby Watt

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
found the fix. go to system settings. choose display. the last option is HDMI connection. uncheck that box. haven't had a problem with my phone since.