Storage Help

steelecd

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just got my Razr 2 days ago and I have a question about internal and external storage. I bought the 16 gig Razr and I put my 32 gig SD card in it that I had in my thunderbolt. For some reason when I try to move apps to my SD it says move to "media area". Is this what it should say? On phones in the past it said move to SD so thats why im confused.

Also, when I look at the 'media area" under manage apps, it says that I have just under 8 gigs of space left. To me it seems like it obviously is not reading my SD card because I have a lot more space than that on it. When I try to format the SD card the area is just grayed out so I cant do that. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

adauth

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Media area is correct. As for storage, I don't know the exact numbers especially since you're using a 32gig SD card, but certain amounts of storage are set aside for different things. So much set aside for apps, so much for the os and so on. Try searching around and you should find your answer as this topic is brought up quite a bit on all android forums I usually visit. Sorry I can't be more exact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

steelecd

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I just dont understand why it says I only have 496MB of application storage available. None of my apps are being saved to my SD card that I installed. Does the Razr not support app to sd? When the 496MB is used up does that mean I'm out of storage for apps?

As for my 32gig sd card, it says I have 29.71gb available. It also wont let me format it. The area is grayed out. And what is the Windows Media Sync? What exactly does it sync? I have selected the SD card as the preferred storage for it...

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
RAZR works different from Droid x and thunderbolt and other androids. Media area is a designated part of the internal memory of the phone. The SD card is external. Imagine partitioning a Droid x or thunderbolts internal memory into 2 parts. 1 for android and 1 for media, music and apps and videos. The later option is called media area when you look at settings/apps/manage apps.. and move2sd apps will move apps to the media area. It won't move to SD card. Sorry.

You will see the RAZR internal and RAZR external (SD card) drives when you hook up USB cord to a computer under mass storage mode. It won't say the names above by default. I named it that in my computer. You can always change the names so windows knows. Check the drives properties/memory free space to see which drive is your media area and which is your sd card.

What I do... now... is have windows media player sync my music mp3s to RAZR external (SD card). Then I do a simple copy/paste of my videos to a folder I made (Videos) on the sd card. Same with my pics (Pictures). Your camera pics and videos are also on the sd card in the DCIM folder.

Set your video player and music player to scan your SD card folders. And walla..
Your good to go like taco bell.

PS - i know it sucka. Developers of the move2sd apps need to update their apps so our folk can once again... move2sd... lol lol lol. :-/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: n7ryy

RazrBurn47

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just got my Razr 2 days ago and I have a question about internal and external storage. I bought the 16 gig Razr and I put my 32 gig SD card in it that I had in my thunderbolt. For some reason when I try to move apps to my SD it says move to "media area". Is this what it should say? On phones in the past it said move to SD so thats why im confused.

Also, when I look at the 'media area" under manage apps, it says that I have just under 8 gigs of space left. To me it seems like it obviously is not reading my SD card because I have a lot more space than that on it. When I try to format the SD card the area is just grayed out so I cant do that. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

You're phone will always use a portion of data storage just to operate. My 16gb Razr has 14.93gb total available, 13.68 free after apps. Formatting is grayed because there is nothing formattable on the card. Try saving some pics or music to your sd

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol