New RAZR & RAZR MAXX update rolling out.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to mislead folks, it appears that maybe I jumped to conclusions.....I barked up the wrong tree....I stand corrected (I think).....:confused:

So, I'm sitting here and my phone which bricked yesterday morning just up and decides to power on and work properly, as if nothing had happened. Just checked and I'm still on Andrioid version 2.3.5....So, no OTA update as far as I can tell. I also tried to manually pull the update, but it states "no update available at this time". So, one could assume that my phone really never got the OTA update. My apologies to Verizon (I think)....

So, WTF happened?!?!? Does an Android phone have logs which might reveal the cause? I am under the impression that I should still take the replacement phone that Verizon is sending, after my current one just "freaked out" for 30 hours. It would be nice to not to have to reinstall all of my apps, etc., but I'm not sure that I can trust it now.

Really, really wacky!! Ok, time to go pull all of the data off of the internal storage, before it potentially goes belly up again.

Weird, just weird....

An App you have could have caused the phone to lock up and not come out of sleep mode which would make it appeared as "bricked". It has happened to me before and it has also happened to users I support that have iPhones as well so it's not a particular phone problem but an app that just goes haywire. In order to get it back to working you have to press the power button and volume button (I believe it's the Up volume button on the Razr) in order to "reboot" the phone to get it out of the locked state. Now, from experience it usually does not work the first few times you press the power button and volume button to reboot it and you have to keep doing it a few times before it will actually respond....annoying yes...but like I said, the same thing happens on the iPhone as well and on that you also have to keep at it a few times before it will even reboot. The reason why I am comparing the iPhone and the Razr is because they are the two phones that do not have removable batteries where you can just do a battery pull and be up and running again.

This same lock up even has existed on older Windows phones and the reason why manufactures built them with reset buttons. Maybe it's time to bring that reset button back for all the non removable battery phones.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
THe only way to currently get the update is to have been part of the soak test. It was not generally released.
To prevent an update from downloading go into the data manager and go to social application and check the box that says "Sync over Wi-Fi only".

This will prevent the update from downloading until you want it.

Reactions: androidcore

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm weird, wasn't on mine prior to the update. I notice it has the same basic function I can get using google +, anyone know of a difference? I checked on my wife's nexus and no google talk app installed there, just google +
Either way its a nice addition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got my 173 update... nice UI improvement.... very, ummmmm, colorful. Lmfao

Gotta love the ridiculous bloat ware. Lol you can definitely tell its a Verizon phone now. Geesh! Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk