New RAZR & RAZR MAXX update rolling out.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Any get their hands on the new 6.12.173 gingerbread 2.3.6 update yet? Sites report wifi connection issues fix, 4g LTE low signal issue fix, UI improvements, and bloatware add ons.....

Though I've never had these issues on my RAZR, I'm just curious as to these UI improvements .... :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh Lord. I just switched to the Maxx because my HTC Rezound was bricked after their update. I don't want the same experience with this phone now!

Anyway to prevent an automatic update??

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Even with an automatic update it gives you the control of installing it, you can simply not install it is my understanding.
One would think so...but it didn't do that with my Rezound; it just installed it automatically. Hope it doesn't happen with this phone!

vbenkert

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Droid RAZR and just had the update pushed to my phone last night. My phone is now completely bricked and useless. There was no question of whether I wanted it installed or not... Just working fine last night and a paperweight today!! I just got off the phone with 2nd level Verizon support, who verified that it's toast and are going to send out a replacement phone.

Since their standard overnight replacement doesn't cover Saturday delivery, they wanted to charge me $20 to get it tomorrow. I plan to go to our local Verizon store tomorrow, when they are nice and busy, and raise a big loud public stink. This is SO unacceptable.

I got switched to a RAZR last month after dealing with a the piece of junk Droid Bionic for way too long. Now, I get to start over again with a replacement RAZR. There is ABSOLUTELY no accountability from Verizon in situations like this.....Just, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience". Waiting for a call back from a supervisor now, after posing the question of "What is Verizon going to do for me?!?!?".

So angry....

:mad:

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Droid RAZR and just had the update pushed to my phone last night. My phone is now completely bricked and useless. There was no question of whether I wanted it installed or not... Just working fine last night and a paperweight today!! I just got off the phone with 2nd level Verizon support, who verified that it's toast and are going to send out a replacement phone.

Since their standard overnight replacement doesn't cover Saturday delivery, they wanted to charge me $20 to get it tomorrow. I plan to go to our local Verizon store tomorrow, when they are nice and busy, and raise a big loud public stink. This is SO unacceptable.

I got switched to a RAZR last month after dealing with a the piece of junk Droid Bionic for way too long. Now, I get to start over again with a replacement RAZR. There is ABSOLUTELY no accountability from Verizon in situations like this.....Just, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience". Waiting for a call back from a supervisor now, after posing the question of "What is Verizon going to do for me?!?!?".

So angry....

:mad:
Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that. I had the same experience with OTA update on my Rezound - twice! First time, they made me swap the phone to another Rezound - within an hour, the stupid OTA auto-installed and bricked my phone.

So now, they switched me out to the Maxx...and it sounds like this OTA is not any better.

Shoot! Why do they do this?!

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: New RAZR update IS NOT rolling out.

So angry....

What are you talking about? No new updates have been pushed to the general public yet. How do you know you got an update if your phone was bricked when you woke up? The only place this update is coming from right now are unsupported downloads of some pre-release version.

vbenkert

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

What are you talking about? No new updates have been pushed to the general public yet. How do you know you got an update if your phone was bricked when you woke up? The only place this update is coming from right now are unsupported downloads of some pre-release version.

Okay, you are totally correct in saying "how do you know you got an update if your phone was bricked when you woke up". I have not yet proved that I did receive the update, as no I can't turn the phone on any longer. I am assuming, since they just announced an upcoming update, that I received it last night. My phone was fully charged and working properly last night....Did it just up and brick itself out of the blue??? Maybe....but, I'm still suspicious of the update announcement, the fact that Verizon likes to push out these updates on Fridays, and the fact that while I was "going off" on Verizon's tech support they never denied that the update was truly the problem. If it wasn't they would've just stated "we didn't push the update". I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me back, so I'll try to get confirmation of the update.

As far as folks trying to manually get the update by going to settings and choosing update, you may not see anything yet. Verizon phases the availability of the updates to blocks of serial numbers, so that they aren't flooded with people downloading the update (or maybe it's so that they aren't flooded with support calls if they do brick your phone).

I'll follow up after speaking with the supervisor, to let y'all know if it was indeed the update that did it. I could potentially be jumping the gun and pointing fingers. I've just never had a phone up and randomly brick on me. I can understand if I was using it, installing an app, etc.. But, just in the middle of the night??? Does that happen?

Averix, I appreciate you calling me out on this, as you could be completely correct.....

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Averix, I appreciate you calling me out on this, as you could be completely correct.....

Or I could be completely wrong if the phased rollout has started. :)

Either way, I hope you get your phone replaced and the new one has no problems. I have a Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, iPhone 4S, and Stratosphere on my desk for testing mobile app development. The Razr is definitely my favorite of the bunch so I hope your replacement lives up to my experience with it.

vbenkert

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Or I could be completely wrong if the phased rollout has started. :)

Either way, I hope you get your phone replaced and the new one has no problems. I have a Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, iPhone 4S, and Stratosphere on my desk for testing mobile app development. The Razr is definitely my favorite of the bunch so I hope your replacement lives up to my experience with it.

They already shipped the replacement, so I guess I just need to hope it doesn't have further problems. I just need to figure out how folks do complete "imaging" type backups (without rooting), as then if they have to replace the phone again I can just restore a whole image and not have to install all of my apps again and re-configure everything. That's really what irritates me the most about this....Starting from square one again.

And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Droid RAZR. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread!! Not so good as "RAZR playing the part of Brick", but still an awesome phone. I had the Bionic before and it was a complete piece of junk as far as I'm concerned. They *might* have fixed the issues it had with software updates, but I'm not sure.

Interestingly enough, the last Verizon tech support person I spoke with was basically trying to coax me over to "the dark side", saying that he had been Android user for the longest time and just switched to an iPhone. He states that they have WAY less hardware and software issues than the Androids. I just can't bring myself to do it, so hopefully the future updates will fix the (potential) OTA brick problem.

vbenkert

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to mislead folks, it appears that maybe I jumped to conclusions.....I barked up the wrong tree....I stand corrected (I think).....:confused:

So, I'm sitting here and my phone which bricked yesterday morning just up and decides to power on and work properly, as if nothing had happened. Just checked and I'm still on Andrioid version 2.3.5....So, no OTA update as far as I can tell. I also tried to manually pull the update, but it states "no update available at this time". So, one could assume that my phone really never got the OTA update. My apologies to Verizon (I think)....

So, WTF happened?!?!? Does an Android phone have logs which might reveal the cause? I am under the impression that I should still take the replacement phone that Verizon is sending, after my current one just "freaked out" for 30 hours. It would be nice to not to have to reinstall all of my apps, etc., but I'm not sure that I can trust it now.

Really, really wacky!! Ok, time to go pull all of the data off of the internal storage, before it potentially goes belly up again.

Weird, just weird....

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
To my understanding, the OFFICIAL update is being pushed out in phases like the last update was don in late November 2011... their are plenty of websites an links that direct to a leaked UNOFFICIAL version of it. ****DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THOSE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You will know when you get the gingerbread 2.3.6 update from Verizon... automatic updates will show up as a pop-up window.... ""download now or later"". Your choice. Manuel updates will need to be done by settings--about phone---system updates.... and the same window pop-up will appear...

remember, this window will NOT go away on your phone unless you make a choice. "Now Or later" If you never seen this window, then your phone's serial number series block never was pushed the update yet. :)

And no one I know where I has gotten it yet... :-( :-( :-(

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Got it ota yesterday at work...some nice upgrades. However, Verizon decided to add some more bloat wear along with it..wtf! Google talk was a nice addition, but can already use that feature with with google +, so kinda pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2