Supa noob

darkSSide

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
All right just switched over from a basic phone to an Android phone. I'm a supa noob to anything Android or hacking/rooting. Where is a good place to start? I'm getting RAZR's for me and the wifey,which should arrive by tommorrow. Any help is appreciated.
Thanx

bubbadog

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Try the phone as is to see if you like it before you hack it up. I have enjoyed my stock phone and it does everything I need and more.

darkSSide

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I played with it at the store and like it enough. But if I root it doesn't it unlock some apps that wouldn't normally work with it as is?

GSII_medic16

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Am with you DarkSside... am looking to be able to root my phone and mod it to be faster? and have other specifications.. but i am such a newbie i have no idea where to start!

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Whoa.. halt.. stop. Beeeeeeepppppp!

I suggest you learn rooting and its pros and cons before ever ever learning how to.... don't bake a cake unless you know how to use the oven!

Search android central.. tons of "what is rooting" articles.. Google search too.... and obviously, there really the articles about how to root the DROID RAZR .... but like the cake, you can follow the recipe but if you don't know the oven, then you can ruin the cake and maybe even the oven... we all had to learn this way...

Rooting bypasses the manufacturers and carriers lock on the phone, thus granting you only 1 thing... admin super user access to Android... it install 1 app only---super user. All of your mods and advanced customization comes from rooted apps, like titanium backup and set CPU and ad-free and etc.. how you work the apps is your own doing. Like setting the oven temperature. Mess with it the wrong way, and you'll turn the cake (phone) into a useless brick.

So again, read and read read read. Google search. YouTube. AndroidCentral... learn learn and relearn. Read and read and reread. Dont just jump into the recipe cause everyone else is doing it.

I'm not trying to be mean.... just honest. To many times I have read these forum threads and article comments and even people on my own Facebook page stating "oh I just got the phone last week and tried to root it so i can ovwrclock it or remove all ads on all apps and now the phobe don't work. I hate android!".... 1--don't blame android from bricking a phone over your quick judgements and maybe not reading all instructions properly. 2--know what your doing before ever doing it.

Welcome to Android and I wish you luck on your future endeavors. And some advice. . once you learned rooting and rooting apps, you will forever learn... new phones pop up. New OS versions. New apps.. the learning never ends.. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: bubbadog

darkSSide

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanx androidcore. I have been reading alot and researching but it seems most has to do when the RAZR was 1st released. I would like to see some current articles.

invalid_user

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
+1,039,034,049.00 androidcore

I just switched also to a Razr, My first Droid and smart phone.

I love it and it is all stock. A lot of the problems people face here are from rooted phones. I would use it for awhile before rooting. If you can afford to Brick it and buy another one then go for it..

Last edited:
Reactions: bubbadog

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes a root method is establish and works so well that there is no need to update the article. This is when you read the forum threads, even if it 20+ pages of threads, and see what other users thought of it, questions they asked, etc. Again its all reading and learning and researching.

The RAZR rooting hacking forums on here should still be current. I hope. The phone is only 4 months old.

And, as always, ask questions on the rooting/hacking forums. We are a community and will help each other or direct you to the correct links.

Just get use to the classic message: we take no responsibility for your actions. Lol lol lol

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Just went into the RAZR ROM hacking and rooting forums .. confirmed legit and uptodate .. depending on what build your on. Newest ota 173 build update has root now.

Reactions: darkSSide