Horrid 4G Speeds

wes-txt

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Razr Maxx for about a month now, and for the couple weeks I've been getting some horrid LTE speeds. I went to the verizon store yesterday, and I was told that LTE service for our area (Ft. Myers) was going to be spotty because Naples (a town 30 miles away) just received LTE. She said I should just turn LTE off for now. WTF? She also said things probably wouldn't even out until after another town (Port Charlotte, 20 miles North) received their LTE service. Huh?

Is this legit?

Ft. Myers has had LTE since last Sept, and when I bought my phone a month ago I saw on average 6-10mbps/down & 2-7mbps up. Now, the dl speeds are less than 2mbps and uploads are less the 500kbps. Sometimes the upload test will just stall out and never finish. I'm also seeing high latency at times >200ms.

Data from Speedtest app. All tests were done at places I've know to have good solid speeds before (signal level is 2-3 bars)

Date ConnType Download Upload Latency
3/29/2012 13:01 Lte 2248 472 101
3/29/2012 12:59 Lte 1447 331 136
3/29/2012 11:35 Lte 1051 113 139
3/29/2012 9:21 Lte 615 78 124
3/29/2012 9:16 Lte 396 129 182
3/28/2012 23:07 Lte 8803 2484 92 --- This one and the one below are rare.
3/28/2012 23:06 Lte 8528 2166 83
3/27/2012 14:29 Lte 2088 216 96
3/27/2012 13:46 Lte 331 22 138
3/27/2012 11:40 Lte 1314 226 109
3/26/2012 19:47 Lte 4504 386 93
3/26/2012 19:46 Lte 6105 675 100

Thanks for any input.

Also, I mentioned to her that I was surprised at some of the 3g speeds I was getting (sometimes over 2mbps down). She said that's because of the dual-core procressor. ???

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
First, you're not alone. 4g has been spotty recently here in Nashville. Must be growing pains. But another thing is, if you don't shut your phone down every day or two, 4g can slow to a crawl. Next time it happens, try rebooting and do another test. It's likely you'll find that it's returned to normal. Report back and let us know.

wes-txt

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but I've rebooted several times and the results never improve. I've even done a factory reset/data wipe. Just did a reboot a minute ago (before reboot 433dn/241up, after reboot 551dn/167up). Pathetic. 3g is better.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
First, you're not alone. 4g has been spotty recently here in Nashville. Must be growing pains. But another thing is, if you don't shut your phone down every day or two, 4g can slow to a crawl. Next time it happens, try rebooting and do another test. It's likely you'll find that it's returned to normal. Report back and let us know.

I haven't noticed any problems in Nashville. You think LTE is bad. Try Wimax on Sprint, lol.

When you do the speed test, make sure it's using the closest server and not one a good distance away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any problems in Nashville. You think LTE is bad. Try Wimax on Sprint, lol.

When you do the speed test, make sure it's using the closest server and not one a good distance away.

Just today, there have been multiple times when 4g has simply disappeared. In fact, I had to rewrite my first reply because it disappeared as I tried to send my reply.

PS, I actually use Washington DC as my default server when testing.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Done this earlier today in Nashville.

a6f84087-33ef-1dd4.jpg

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
First of all. Pulling fast speed on 3g is not because of the dual core. Second, it might just be the lte towers. Maybe not that many or not well built. Call Verizon and tell them the signal sucks. Also when doing the test. Distance on servers doesn't really matter, since I am in Houston and get better speed results when I choose a Dallas server. Do you have full signal? 4g is still a year old. Not as broad or well maintained as 3g which has been around for a while now.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Just today, there have been multiple times when 4g has simply disappeared. In fact, I had to rewrite my first reply because it disappeared as I tried to send my reply.

PS, I actually use Washington DC as my default server when testing.

You use DC as your server but you live in Florida? That is your culprit right there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

wes-txt

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I went to the verizon store yesterday, and I was told that LTE service for our area (Ft. Myers) was going to be spotty because Naples (a town 30 miles away) just received LTE. She said I should just turn LTE off for now. WTF? She also said things probably wouldn't even out until after another town (Port Charlotte, 20 miles North) received their LTE service. Huh?

Is this legit?

Why would the installation of LTE service in a town 30 miles away cause LTE in my town to suddenly start flaking out?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You use DC as your server but you live in Florida? That is your culprit right there.

Nope. I live in Nashville. And I've gotten as high as 34 a few times. When things are somewhat normal, I get around 10 pretty regularly.

I like using the same server every time. I value the consistency of results over time (both time of day and day of the week). And I prefer a further server as a sort of "stress test". It's not *really* all that far, but you would expect a fair amount of traffic to funnel through DC.

And the server I use on Speedtest has nothing to do with 4g speeds actually achieved.

Had to do a faux battery pull to get it back today. It was out for a while. Turned out it was a phone issue, not a 4g issue.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I live in Nashville. And I've gotten as high as 34 a few times. When things are somewhat normal, I get around 10 pretty regularly.

I like using the same server every time. I value the consistency of results over time (both time of day and day of the week). And I prefer a further server as a sort of "stress test". It's not *really* all that far, but you would expect a fair amount of traffic to funnel through DC.

And the server I use on Speedtest has nothing to do with 4g speeds actually achieved.

Had to do a faux battery pull to get it back today. It was out for a while. Turned out it was a phone issue, not a 4g issue.
The server absolutely affects your results. That's why the server 5 minutes from my house gives me better results than the one in Chicago, 40 minutes away. You should ALWAYS choose the closest server because it will give you the most accurate results.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The server absolutely affects your results. That's why the server 5 minutes from my house gives me better results than the one in Chicago, 40 minutes away. You should ALWAYS choose the closest server because it will give you the most accurate results.

You're simply wrong.

There are other factors involved.

I just did a test using DC - 14.25. Followed it immediately with the closest server in Nashville - 11.07.

I don't usually test to get down to the 2nd decimal point anyway - I do it to verify that 4g is our isn't gummed up at the time, although I occasionally check it just to see how fast it is. I suspect that DC has a much bigger pipe than Nashville does.

I also suspect that I would get similar results but in a smaller scale if I squirted to the local servers. At least that's been my experience.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Also, the DC server is Speedtest's own server while Nashville's is Comcast. Probably a difference in how the server handles traffic. Not sure how you would judge which is "more accurate".

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Selecting servers through that app does not mean your phone is staying connected to that server. You phone is going to pick which one it wants to use by its self through the Verizon network.

Ever wonder why on FB it says you posted "xxx xxxx xxxxx xxx xxx" near (3 states away from your current location?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, the DC server is Speedtest's own server while Nashville's is Comcast. Probably a difference in how the server handles traffic. Not sure how you would judge which is "more accurate".

Ease, get a large file, download on 4g and time it then solve some simple math.
Same goes for 3g. That will give you real world data.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ease, get a large file, download on 4g and time it then solve some simple math.
Same goes for 3g. That will give you real world data.

Which of course has nothing to do with selecting which server location to use through Speedtest. I still maintain that the best policy is to decide which server you're going to use and stick with that one. And the server might our might not be "the closest".

I use Speedtest as a rule of thumb, not an absolute. It's quick, easy and "painless". I meant I don't know how you would decide which server IN SPEEDTEST would be "more accurate".

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Which of course has nothing to do with selecting which server location to use through Speedtest. I still maintain that the best policy is to decide which server you're going to use and stick with that one. And the server might our might not be "the closest".

I use Speedtest as a rule of thumb, not an absolute. It's quick, easy and "painless". I meant I don't know how you would decide which server IN SPEEDTEST would be "more accurate".

I'm talking about your true data speed. You can select your sever in speed test but when you actually use your phone for data, your phone automatically picks up a server. I can use a speed test app and it tell me my 4g is 33mbps but yet a 2.5 MB will take 3-4 seconds so not truly is my phone doing 33mbps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge