Headphone jack not working

eoga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a kind of different problem but it is related to the headphone jack too. For me the jack is working correctly every time I connect the aux cable from my car, I can listen the music and evertyhing seems to be working ok. but when I disconnect my phone I have no sound at all, no music, no ringtone, i can even heard the voice from a call. it is like if the phone think that the aux cable is still plug in when it is not anymore. I have to restart the phone every time i used the headphone plug, this is really annoyin. can any one help me?

pluie

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a kind of different problem but it is related to the headphone jack too. For me the jack is working correctly every time I connect the aux cable from my car, I can listen the music and evertyhing seems to be working ok. but when I disconnect my phone I have no sound at all, no music, no ringtone, i can even heard the voice from a call. it is like if the phone think that the aux cable is still plug in when it is not anymore. I have to restart the phone every time i used the headphone plug, this is really annoyin. can any one help me?
Developed the same problem the other day and had to restart in order to hear phone calls--now the headphone jack isn't working. The problems must be related, but I have no idea what the fix is...new phone? It's a shame--I've had mine only 6 months!

marcia smith

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. I just got my phone, and for some reason the 3mm aux cable does not work in my car. It works for my girlfriends IPhone when she plays pandora, but mine will not play. The music just keeps playing through my phone not through the speakers. I just took a toothpick to see if I could pull anything thing out of it (lint), but I could not. I doubt there would be any since I just got the phone. It is a prepaid phone but it is a smartphone non-the-less and I am really confused. Any ideas???

Jfree72

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Odds are the fix is simpler than that. If you had the same problem I did, then the answer is a paper clip. My headphone jack had a piece of pocket lint stuck in the bottom. If you take a flashlight and look in the bottom and the bottom is not black, then this is probably your problem. I used a paper clip, being careful not to damage the metal leads inside, and removed the troublesome lint and my headphones worked perfectly afterwards. I hope this helps you and others.

I've had my Razr since December, and ever since then the headphone jack hasn't been working. I remember back then a Motorola person said it'd be fixed in a software update. But alas, new updates have done nothing and new Razrs running the same software have working headphone jacks. So I contacted Motorola again and they told that rebooting the phone would fix it, but again, that does nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I put any sort of headphone into it, it doesn't recognize that something is plugged in. It simply continues playing sound out loud.

roachman55

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I use blue tooth headsets and bought plugs that they sell for IPad and Iphone to plug jack when not using. They are great and work on android too as they are made for the jack 3.5 mm most common now

Danner123

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
The headphone jack on my Droid 3 (6 months old) does not work any more either. It's not lint in my case. The connection started having static or went out when touched. Now it doesn't work at all. The exact same thing happened with the original droid I had...at least that lasted 18 months.

It's sad that my Walkman from 30 years ago works better than this. My next phone will not be a droid or anything made by Motorola for that matter.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My Droid Razr has started making an annoying scratching sound when plugged into external speakers or headphones. It sounds like a connection problem, almost like a a wire not touching all the way but it happens whether the phone is being moved or if the phone is being held still. Ugh, extremely annoying!

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. I looked into the jack and didn't see any lint or anything. I still stuck a paperclip in their to clear out anything that may be in there....nothing. Retried my headphones....they worked! Not sure if what I did, but they work now.

Hope that helps!

mrjam3s

avj23123

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
same thing happened to me today and i thought there was a problem so i came here to see what everybody else was saying and the common problem was lint in the hole and people pushing the jack in further were probably just getting past that lint but i took a sewing needle and started prodding around and sure enough a ball of lint came out and it works perfectly now.

sixshot21

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just started having this exact problem a few days ago. It was working fine before but all of a sudden it stopped recognizing any type of earplug I insert. I even tried taking it to a few cell phone shops. They said it was nothing they could do and to get a new phone. It sucks though, because droid RAZR has superb playback quality when using headphones. Wish I could help because we got the same problem.

chdoty

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem Just now I used a mini screwdriver to dig out lint at the bottom of the jack and it worked, SO Blowing into it will not work because it will just push the lint in , Try to pluck it out it worked for me !!

magoblin

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Headphone jack not working (SOLVED)

Dear all,

Problem solved
I am a Electronic Engineer and I have the same problem that you ask.
I used a microscope with light and I find a really BIG and PROMINENT ball of fluff.
With a the cellphone turned off I scratched (dug) with a needle and took all the fluff off.
It was really big and it was stuck in the bottom of the jack.

I have read someone who use isopropilic alcohol and I don't recommend that because the fluff is not going to go out with that.
I used a manual blower but the pressur was not enough.
Maybe with a higher pressure could work but there are room to stuck a little bit deeper and you will not want to make your problem bigger.

I solved the problem with my RAZR and its Jack issue.

I hope to help all of your my friends!

Alvaro

thrust1

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost 100% sure you and everyone that has this problem has lint packed down so hard in the bottom of your head phone jack that you just can't see it or blow it out. Turn your phone all the way off. Use a very small paper clip or pin and jently scrape it out of the bottom of that jack. Then blow it out with can of air. You may have to do it two or three times before it all comes out. I have taken 3 phones back to get them replaced because of this. The techs don't have a clue. Once I fount out from all the good folks on here, my phone works great. I have covered my jack with removable tape so lint can no longer build up in that hole.

DeltaBond

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC Droid Incredible 2 and it does this same thing. I've kinda given up on it, honestly. Phones aren't really meant to be used as MP3 players, I guess. I'm trying to just ride it out until I get a new phone. Verizon now has some new gimick on getting new phones more often, maybe that's the answer.

Jorge Hernandez5

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just did a lot of searching around for this similar issue....initially I thought my phone jack had just gone bad, but after multiple days of tinkering I finally got it working (yes!!) after gently poking around inside the connector with a Dentek floss pick (Flossing Made Easy | DenTek Oral Care) that I had laying around in the bathroom. I got under a table light and "gently" swirled around in there. I did that a few times with a combination of manually blowing air in there with my mouth (kind of like playing harmonica). After looking at Dentek's website it looked like there was an even better pick that would probably work miracles here : Easy Brush Standard | DenTek Oral Care. It basically looks like a toothpick with brushes that would fit the 3.5mm socket and clean it real good. I'll probably just buy a bag of these and keep them around for regular cleaning. I hope this helps a lot of you out there that have been suffering like I have until now.

Phone : HTC One (ATT)
Custom Rom: TrickDroid 8.0.0

jestermx6

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
figured i'd bump this thread also. spent the past month using my GNex as an MP3 player because my headphone jack wasn't working. Tried blowing it out but that didn't work. Was about to contact verizon for a replacement when i found this thread. Shined a light in there and sure enough i saw some fuzz. drained of fuzz, the jack works fine now.

long time lurker, first post!