ICS rumblings for Razr??

epiphone_74

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Are we still expecting the 15th of may as the date for the ICS release?? Anyone on the Soak test seeing any benefits?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Semper Fi

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ICS has s##t loads of benefits over the old Gingerbread... :D

as for the "15th", the leaked Verizon computer image states May 21st OTA push... So if this is true, which personally I dont care (LMAO). There are many ICS based ROMs for the RAZR right now. Also, I highly doubt since Droidlife screw us over the first time, that will put any soak test invites from MFN out no later than the 14th... Ergo, no soak test has started and no soak test is in the works. If a soak was under progress, trust me, articles and RAZR/RAZR MAXX forums on ALL Android sites would be in a frenzy.... Ergo, no frenzy... no soak.... besides, soaks are boring, at least the 173 and 181 builds were

Last edited:

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I doubt Verizon would have pushed the .181 update a couple weeks ago if ICS was going to follow a few weeks later. That's a pretty decent risk for them.

IMO that's a pretty good indication that the next update won't be for a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
some Verizon phones get updates within 1 month of each other (ie DROID 1, Droid X, Incredible, etc, back in 2010)... so its not risky. As the old sang goes... "they code when they code".... Its like saying its risky to go to the grocery store twice in 1 week.

the recent soak (to 181) was delayed by 9 days. HIGHLY unusual for a Motorola (MFN) Soak Test. No one knew/knows exactly why to this day. 1 major rumor is that Motorola was ready to push out ICS 4.0.3 update from 173... but 1) Motorola lab testers found it to be to buggy and never informed this to MFN before the soak test..... OR..... 2) Verizon did not approve of it for an unknown reason (remember it all up to the carriers in the end, not Motorola). They already sent out the soak test invites... So in a mad dash, they took some elements of the new ICS build and made Gingerbread 181.

Option 1 is unlikely. A mega OEM with this level of miscommunication... highly doubtful. Option 2 appears to be more correct as Verizon tends to be picky with updates. Always has always will. Which, is a good thing in a way. If Verizon labs didnt approve, then something must have been up, whether it be radio issues or network issues.

At least the RAZR/RAZR MAXX wont have ICS issues like the G-nexus. Im on the ICS 4.0.3 6.14.84 build leak... and honestly, this can severely pass as a extremely high quality ICS RAZR. I have no issues... So if 84 and 85 are not the real deal and just random leaks number builds, and they are super stable, then I cant wait for the real thing.... ... ... well, once P3 and DT find a way to get "us" off 84 and 85 (we are kinda stuck here. lol lol lol lol):D

Reactions: Nault2000

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As someone who works in an I/T shop I have to disagree. No matter how well we think an update is coded there are always clients that, for some reason, error out. Also, from our experience, end users complain that updates that are delivered more frequently than every three to six months are not only an annoyance, buy they are value wasters instead of value creators.

Granted this is for non-security updates. Obviously no one gets upset if you're fixing a hole.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
As someone who works in an I/T shop I have to disagree. No matter how well we think an update is coded there are always clients that, for some reason, error out. Also, from our experience, end users complain that updates that are delivered more frequently than every three to six months are not only an annoyance, buy they are value wasters instead of value creators.

Granted this is for non-security updates. Obviously no one gets upset if you're fixing a hole.

Some people error out on a lot of things. That's always a fact. Nothing is perfect. Granted frequent updates can be annoying to some people. But sometimes it needs to be done. In my shop, I tend to say its better to fix it than to leave it with issues.:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: fadeds

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Some people error out on a lot of things. That's always a fact. Nothing is perfect. Granted frequent updates can be annoying to some people. But sometimes it needs to be done. In my shop, I tend to say its better to fix it than to leave it with issues.:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I agree with you there, I was referring to enhancement updates (like ICS), not bug fixes.

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
We will get it or we won't, you can root and get it or not and don't. My phone is working flawlessly, I am not sure I to take a chance with an update that is less than perfect.

My daythers Sammy Continum recently got updated to 2.2.x, never thought that would happen but it did and it ork flawlessly.

Just wanted to be crabby old guy.

latinoguy

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I dont understand the despesperation for ICS I mean there are some crazy guys that birck their phones becuause of that take it easy still GB rules in the android market users. Sorry for my english.

firesyde424

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for others but for me personally, after putting the Ics build that leaked on the 26th on to my razr, it's almost like getting a new phone. On top of that, I finally have something to brag about to my friends who "can't believe I didn't get an iPhone."

The UI is sleeker and much more responsive. Facial recognition, data cap management, 1080p video, better overall feel and response. The guys over at anandtech were right, the Droid razr should have shipped with ics.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for others but for me personally, after putting the Ics build that leaked on the 26th on to my razr, it's almost like getting a new phone. On top of that, I finally have something to brag about to my friends who "can't believe I didn't get an iPhone."

The UI is sleeker and much more responsive. Facial recognition, data cap management, 1080p video, better overall feel and response. The guys over at anandtech were right, the Droid razr should have shipped with ics.

Amen. I put the stock 84 ICS leak on my RAZR on the 27th of April. Even though (yet, currently as of 5/14) there is no flashing back to any build/ROM if your on 84/85, Im 100% content with it. For the same reasons your posted.

I could NEVER go back to Gingerbread after ICS. Simply could NEVER...

Gmanmonster

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I know that one of the "Features" of the .181 push was that it disabled non-Motorola Desktop Docks from accessing the built in RAZR Dock and webtop screens.

In other words, Verizon and Motorola were tightening their hold on hardware - it even could have been the reason for a delay, while they recoded ICS so that it wouldn't release restricted apps (that require specific hardware)

firesyde424

May 14, 2012
Visit site
According to https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c, the Droid Razr and Motorola Razr(I am assuming the Droid Razr is the US branded version), will be upgraded to Ics. I would assume it is more cost effective for Motorola to release all of the updates together. Having said that, wireless carriers are also part of the equation and I wonder if part or all of the delay is due to one or more of the carriers having specific issues with what Motorola sent them.

I was personally surprised to see an app built into the leaked ICS that allows you to set up an artificial data cap to prevent data overages. I am willing to bet real money that the a final ota update for verizon customers doesnt have it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs