Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question (inner) screen broke // replacement questions

The inner screen on my razr cracked today, it was just in my pocket, did not fall or get dropped and I even had a verizon sold case on it. Somehow the screen cracked, but not the outer glass. I cant believe it broke just being in my pocket and now I have to get a new one and I have never had to replace a phone before so I have a few questions.
    1. Is there a warranty that comes with the phone for a year? (bought 11/25)
    2. I'm pretty sure I also pay monthly insurance on the phone, do I have to use it, how is it effected after the replacement?
    3. How much will this cost?
    4. Will I get the new one when I go to the verizon store tomorrow?
    5. Do you think I could pay more and get a MAXX or can it only be replaced with the same phone?

Thanks for the help, still can't believe this phone broke

ROM
    Arctic HD

You would have to use your insurance for that, screen breaks aren't covered by warranty. And I believe its a 99 dollar deductible or something like that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: (inner) screen broke // replacement questions

thanks, but even though it isnt the screen more of the video board or whatever, also will i get the replacement tomorrow or do I have to wait for it to be mailed to me?

ROM
    Arctic HD

If the screen is malfunctioning then call 611 option 3 to get to tech support. No need to go to the store there likely isn't anything they can do. If you call tomorrow the replacement will be there the day after

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Unroot Stock JB 98.72.16

1. Is there a warranty that comes with the phone for a year? (bought 11/25)
    -------------- yes. Free Warranty Replacements cover factory hardware and software defects. Just like a Car. But if "you" "break" anything, then warranty is void. Just like a Car. Insurance deductible will cover it. Just like a Car... Verizon Smartphones are $89 fora new RAZR.

2. I'm pretty sure I also pay monthly insurance on the phone, do I have to use it, how is it effected after the replacement?
    ----------- AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/Tmobile/ and mostly all wireless carriers use the same company... Asurion Wireless Insurance. Its $6.99/mo on your bill. Asurion gives you 2 claims in 1 year. File a claim now and you still have 1 claim left until 5/14/2013

3. How much will this cost?
    ----------- Insurance claims for Teir 2 (Smartphones) are $89

4. Will I get the new one when I go to the verizon store tomorrow?
    ----------- no. Verizon doesn't do Insurance Replacements. Asurion does. IF you go to the store or call 611, you WILL be transferred to Asurion. Asurion will ship you the device in 3-5 business days (free shipping). OR, if you wanna pay extra on top of the $89, they will do Priority Mail 1-2 business days ($14.95)

5. Do you think I could pay more and get a MAXX or can it only be replaced with the same phone?
    --------------No. Asurion will give you another RAZR. No RAZR MAXX. No "other" phone. No amount of complaining to Asurion or Asurion Manager will change that. Insurance is a binding contract and can constitute FRAUD, legality issues, and/or federal felonies if you or the Asurion Agent wants to "play games". The ONLY way Asurion gives out "other" phones is if they no longer carry your phone in their stock. This happens to OLD phones. RAZR is only 7 months old. So, trust me... your getting a RAZR.

Personally... take it to a Verizon store. Say it was in your pocket and you pulled it out and your saw the inner screen crack. ""I want it replaced""... The moron agent might actually swap it for a NEW RAZR for FREE under your FREE Warranty plan on the spot in the store. But, if he/she says you need to call Asurion, then nice try... do the insurance replacement for $89
    If I helped you, then please hit the "Thanks" and/or "Like" button(s). I like to know I'm not just here for amusement.
    **1998** Nokia 6160 > Samsung Color VGA1000 > Samsung T209 > Samsung SGH867 Eternity > Samsung I8000 Omnia 2 > Motorola MB810 Droid X > Motorola XT912 DROID RAZR **2013**
    Thanked by:

From my experience with Asurion when I water damaged my Thunderbolt, its free overnight shipping.

To the original poster. Check what Verizon says. If that fails, contact Motorola. I have seen a case like this before and Motorola fixed the device free of charge. It appears they may be aware of this issue and you won't be on the hook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

I agree, call Motorola. I think Eclipse is right about that defect getting fixed for no charge.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 (Stock)

Funny you posted this today becuase... guess what.... same thing happened to mine. The phone just cracked out of nowhere. I took it to the Verizon store since I thought the customer rep wouldn't believe me. At first the Verizon in-store rep accused me of physical damage, but I showed her how there were no scuff marks, no dents, and the top glass wasn't cracked. My new (refurb) is on it's way to me at no charge. Best of luck.

I wonder how many more people have experienced this issue.

ROM
    Unroot Stock JB 98.72.16

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    From my experience with Asurion when I water damaged my Thunderbolt, its free overnight shipping.
    Wow... their policies might have changed. In 2010 when I slipped on black ice and smached by Droid X, they charged me $89, free shipping and I got it 3 dyas later and offered me $15 fee for overnighting it. I wish they did free for free for me. Or I got the luck of the draw that day... a moron Asurion agent. Bummer. Oh well. it was 2 years ago. Not gonna dry now.
    If I helped you, then please hit the "Thanks" and/or "Like" button(s). I like to know I'm not just here for amusement.
    **1998** Nokia 6160 > Samsung Color VGA1000 > Samsung T209 > Samsung SGH867 Eternity > Samsung I8000 Omnia 2 > Motorola MB810 Droid X > Motorola XT912 DROID RAZR **2013**

Have you registered your phone with Motorola? There is a big thread going on at the Motorola Owners Forums about Razr/Razr Maxx screen cracks...I think there would be more attention paid to the problem if all the issues were in one place. This does not appear to be an isolated incident, but they are being posted on so many forums all over the internet, that each entity, Motorola, VZW, Assurion and other insurance companies are all saying things like, "We have not heard of that happening to anyone else", but it has been happening, spontaneously in many cases.

do you have a picture of the break? does anyone? i called motorola they are going to fix my broken screen for 159.99 if they dont fix it under warranty. it cracked today from something falling on it.. im PISSED!!! it wasnt even heavy or big. i hope they fix it for free. i bought it 8 months ago.

ROM
    Arctic HD

If it broken for they reason then no, you won't get it done free. It's not. Defect idk why you would expect them to. This is why I pay for the insurance. But anyway you may be able to find the parts online and do it yourself if you are brave enough

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

I worked for vzw corporate for years and now work for cellular sales verizon. Asurion ships overnight for free. Also... for those that do not know... asurion provides a refurb phone through the mail. Asurion is all that corp vzw has to offer. Cellular sales offers in house insurance which gives you a BRAND NEW PHONE right in the store. It's only a couple dollars more a month on some devices and cheaper on other devices. I have had a few customers with the same issue... of course dealing with customers for 6 years you tend to think they are all liars... maybe the few that said they were innocent this time actually were. Oh well...

My question is... I have 2 razrs. One with external glass cracked and one with internal glass cracked. Can I combine them into one device or is the internal screen attached to the external glass such that they cannot be separated?

I have all the tools to do this as I repair and combine phones all the time. Just wanted to ask before I attempted this one.

Thanks for any insight.