My phone keeps rebooting on it's own?

sidswiss

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon Razr is about five weeks old. I have not put alot of apps on it yet or filled up any internal/external storage. But i've noticed the last two weeks that my phone will reboot on it's own. At first I thought it was the Free Cell Game I was playing so I got rid of it. Now it does it when I'm browsing or emailing, sometimes while it is just sitting on my desk. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I will see the boot up screen. What is going on here? Should I replace the phone or is this happening to others?

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon Razr is about five weeks old. I have not put alot of apps on it yet or filled up any internal/external storage. But i've noticed the last two weeks that my phone will reboot on it's own. At first I thought it was the Free Cell Game I was playing so I got rid of it. Now it does it when I'm browsing or emailing, sometimes while it is just sitting on my desk. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I will see the boot up screen. What is going on here? Should I replace the phone or is this happening to others?

Have you tried a factory reset yet? I would try that first.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
shouldnt have to factory reset a phone at 5 weeks, even if it is an app. apps are written to run on a specific OS with specific kernels. this is part of the problem with open source... beofre going all the way to a factory reset try, clearing cache and data on all running apps...
settings> applications> running apps clear cache and data

sidswiss

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
DizzyMaker, I can't find where you "clear cache". I get "settings> applications> running sevices", it shows all the apps that are running but no option to clear cache. Is there another way?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It's an issue specific to your phone. There were more reboot complaints with the Droid X1 than with the RAZR.

This is one of the least annoying phones I have used....probably ever.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DizzyMaker, I can't find where you "clear cache". I get "settings> applications> running sevices", it shows all the apps that are running but no option to clear cache. Is there another way?

Get 1-Click Cleaner. Its free. Run cache mode. Deep mode too. Then reboot phone. Or do it manually in system settings > apps > manage apps > download tab and cleaning each apps cache one by one.

System reboot is a software issue. If its not caused by a bad root methods OR bad custom rom install, then its a phone defect OR ... USER ERROR (factory reset will resolve user error issues).

Clean the cache. Work now? If not, master factory reset and wipe SD (phone doesn't like something you did). Work now? If not, defective phone (lemon we call it).. get free warranty replacement.

DIZZYMAKER.. as a app dev, I 10000000% disagree with your statement. Apps are not written for 1 OS. If they were, you'll see many forms of one single app. Youll see facebook for cupcake, fb for donut, for eclair, for froyo gb hc and ics. Omg. Thats alot of fb apps. But obviously that isnt the case. Rather, apps are written on the latest OS SDK code. Backwards comparability takes effect if written in the app code. If I made a app on SDK 2.2 Froyo. Then it will work on 1.5 cupcake to Froyo. Not gingerbread or ICS. In order for my app to work on gb and ICS, I would have to put gb and ICS BC code into the app. IOS for iPhone, a closed source system, operates similarly. IOS also randomly reboots to. Factory defects. Or bad jailbreak. Chose your poison. Read any freaking iPhone forum or on imore. Open source has nothing to do with it. That is such a stereotypical response

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jroc

sidswiss

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
DId the factory reset, did NOT install any apps, only setup Gmail/Hotmail accounts(didn't even open any emails), an hour later the Damn thing rebooted again while I was on an important phone call. This phone is going back. I kinda like the blue one, think they will trade?

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting how all the advice stops once the OP tries the one thing that everyone suggests. Ironically enough, factory resets never do anything to really fix the problem.

I know, I have this same problem with my phone randomly rebooting.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's probably hardware issue if a reset doesn't fix it.

And resets do sometimes fix stuff. I know this thread is old but resets fixed many problems for many people after the ics upgrade

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Stephen Terry

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You may need to go to manage applications. On my phone I can only clear the cache by doing that and then opening each applications settings individually and then selecting clear cache. I know it's a pain if you have a lot of apps. :(

Jean S

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Why Android devices start rebooting over and over...

Here is the real answer. This applies to ALL Android devices!!

Your phone has too many apps installed or running. When the Android OS runs out of memory, the OS becomes unstable. Android then reboots itself to free up memory. If you have too many 'active' applications or services running, when the system reboots, it will again, run out of memory, and reboot again, in an endless loop.

There are two solutions. 1. Uninstall applications until the Android OS has enough free RAM to run stably. Install a automatic memory manager. 2. Shut the device down and restart it, holding the volume up button and power button until the 'Service' menu appears, then select the restore to factory installation option. This will restore the device to 'Factory' settings and wipe all user apps and data. Install a automatic memory manager.

Warning! You will lose all applications and data if you do number 2 option.

But, either one will give your device it's sanity back. Then you can be more careful about installing too many apps. Remember, you only use 2 or 3 apps all of the time anyway. Do you really need all of those junk apps????

Azdeleigh

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why Android devices start rebooting over and over...

Here is the real answer. This applies to ALL Android devices!!

Your phone has too many apps installed or running. When the Android OS runs out of memory, the OS becomes unstable. Android then reboots itself to free up memory. If you have too many 'active' applications or services running, when the system reboots, it will again, run out of memory, and reboot again, in an endless loop.

There are two solutions. 1. Uninstall applications until the Android OS has enough free RAM to run stably. Install a automatic memory manager. 2. Shut the device down and restart it, holding the volume up button and power button until the 'Service' menu appears, then select the restore to factory installation option. This will restore the device to 'Factory' settings and wipe all user apps and data. Install a automatic memory manager.

Warning! You will lose all applications and data if you do number 2 option.

But, either one will give your device it's sanity back. Then you can be more careful about installing too many apps. Remember, you only use 2 or 3 apps all of the time anyway. Do you really need all of those junk apps????

Great answer. Except it's wrong. People are still having the issue even after factory reseting. And adding memory managing apps is just adding more junk.

Jean S

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I love (sarcastic) how you criticize a soloution that has proven to work on many Android phones and tablets, by saying it is wrong, yet you offer no solution! If you are going to criticize an answer, submit a better one, or, just keep quiet. I can guess you are of the left, probably democrat, because that is exactly how the operate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835