Hot phone, horrible battery

jdcaddell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys I have another probably simple question but ill go ahead and ask anyways. I just got my third Droid Razr last night and I have left the majority of the apps I use off of the phone to see if I still had the same issue and boy do I. My phone drains for no reason, I can only get about 4 hours out of the battery again and I haven't even used it today, and it also gets really hot to the touch and will not charge when I plug it in because it is so hot. I can't figure out what is going on to cause this because like I said this is my third phone and the same problem. I am running advanced task killer to no avail. This is really starting to get discouraging because I have to use my phone for work and right now it's usles to me.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Task killers were great for older android versions but with now with the later versions the system its self is coded to basically do the same thing. If it needs more memory it will automatically close an application running and such.

Keep away from any task killer, leave the phone 100% stock out of the box. Are the replacement phones by any chance refurbished?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bradenfontaine

smacyo137

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
when it gets hot it is also using battery quicker for me too, but it normally only gets hot when im watching videos, using a lot of flash, or running a few heavy apps at one

dont really use smart actions besides to turn off background data <25%, i also never have wifi or gps on, good luck

jdcaddell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Smart Actions to extend battery life?

No, I wasn't but now I'm trying to get them setup. What's the best way to set them? And is there anywhere I can read what they all do because there is no description anywhere that I can find?

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
There are some suggested rules that you can use as a template, and modify. The key being Battery Extender, and Low Battery Saver.

I would save a copy of Battery Extender, and then modify the triggers (the conditions under which your unnecessary services are turned off). For me, when my display is off and the phone is not charging, I disable background sync. If you want to delete a trigger or an action, long press the trigger/action and delete it.

Also, when connected to WiFi, I disable cellular data and Bluetooth. I have that set up as a separate rule.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
when it gets hot it is also using battery quicker for me too, but it normally only gets hot when im watching videos, using a lot of flash, or running a few heavy apps at one

dont really use smart actions besides to turn off background data <25%, i also never have wifi or gps on, good luck

Heat and batteries don't mix. When batteries get hot, they depletion rate increases.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Seems like i have been talking alot about auto task killers recently. Here is the rundown i posted over in the MAXX forums.

In regard to the task manager and auto-kill, you should never use auto-kill on an android phone. The way the android os works is that it loads free memory with your frequently used apps to reduce load times. This does not mean the apps are running using battery, but are just sitting quietly waiting to be used. If you start something else that needs the memory, the os will clear them out to make room.

Auto-kill is constantly clearing these apps out of free memory and then the os reloads them. This cycle then repeats constantly, with significant damage to your battery life. So do not use auto-kill. You are ultimately doing the opposite to your battery of what you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk

firesyde424

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my RAZR knowing that the battery life would be that spectacular. I have a charter at home, one in my car, and a USB cable for charging at work. Having said that, I actually get better battery life than I was expecting and there are some thing s you can do to improve battery life.

As sever previous posters have mentioned, task killers will suck battery life and aren't necessary in the newer versions of android. Something that is useful, and is built into ics, is a battery time app located in the settings. It gives you a breakdown of how long your RAZR has been on battery and what things are eatting your battery life. I can't remember if 2.3.5 has that built in, but I am sure there are apps on the market that do the same thing
Your LTE connection(don't believe the Verizon hype, its not real 4g), is probably the biggest battery hog on the RAZR outside of the screen. Switching to 3g when you don't need your lte can save quite a bit of battery. Also, wifi tends to be a bit of a battery hog. Incidentay, as a DROID RAZR owner, you do have one of the longest talk times of any smart phone, including the iPhone. =)

smacyo137

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
there is a great battery break down on the razr, settings > battery information > battery use

great to see what kills the batt, my top 3 are always screen, android os, and internet or twitter

ppewett

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Task killers are usually bad news. I try to stay away from them. I downloaded this app called cool down phone for when my phone gets too hot to touch and it works decent, i think the app can extend battery life too as well as it is cooling down the phone. hope this helps!

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you have 4g enabled? That is #2 battery killer after screen. Also, do you have spotty service at home? Roaming is another big killer. I enable wifi when at home, helps a lot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ptvelmo

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My phone gets hot doing nothing, today i charged it for a few hours over night and took it off, i fell asleep and i woke up because of the phone burning me! i have the same problems with no battery life except i will have 100% of battery life and it will only last and hour or less, so we are taking it back to the shop! :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12