Force ICS Update

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
your MIED may have been in the soak list by accident but its not going out to the masses yet. Ya some people who got it said they was not in the soak but you all have everyone thinking its going out to everyone when its not. Next week, after wednesday everyone will start getting it...all these people saying they want to force it and what not will be getting it and will finally be happy.

The soak may still be going on, but it's rolling out to non-soakers as well. I got my "upgrade available" notification yesterday and I'm not part of the soak test.

LordPoncho

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
your MIED may have been in the soak list by accident but its not going out to the masses yet. Ya some people who got it said they was not in the soak but you all have everyone thinking its going out to everyone when its not. Next week, after wednesday everyone will start getting it...all these people saying they want to force it and what not will be getting it and will finally be happy.

It wasn't an accident. It has started rolling out. It's really not hard to comprehend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't an accident. It has started rolling out. It's really not hard to comprehend.

As far as I know, Motorola is still claiming its in the soak test phases on their website forums. So his claim isn't necessarily incorrect as Motorola, who is pushing the update out, is claiming it.

dphorgan2#AC

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
There are official Verizon docs saying they started to update all Razrs to ICS on the 22nd. He might have been part of an earlier test so he thinks he's cool and entitled. A lot of people who where part of no test are getting. No accident.
http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/06/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-upgrades-to-ice-cream-sandwich.html

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
And I was told by a Verizon rep that it was Google who was pushing it out. I called to ask because I wasn't sure whether me having my text messages blocked would interfere with getting an update notification. When I mentioned Motorola and soak tests, she said she didn't know about that but that it was possible that they were both pushing it out at the same time and that Motorola was doing their own soak tests to be in the safe side.

Yeah yeah, I know...VRZ rep and all that, but it could explain why people who aren't in the soak test have been getting updated early.

I always assumed that Google always waited until Motorola finished their soak tests but maybe they wanted to avoid bad PR from being so close to the end of the second quarter and said "Enough is enough, let's start rolling this puppy out, Moto and Verizon be damned. It's as good a theory as any.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
And I was told by a Verizon rep that it was Google who was pushing it out. I called to ask because I wasn't sure whether me having my text messages blocked would interfere with getting an update notification. When I mentioned Motorola and soak tests, she said she didn't know about that but that it was possible that they were both pushing it out at the same time and that Motorola was doing their own soak tests to be in the safe side.

Yeah yeah, I know...VRZ rep and all that, but it could explain why people who aren't in the soak test have been getting updated early.

I always assumed that Google always waited until Motorola finished their soak tests but maybe they wanted to avoid bad PR from being so close to the end of the second quarter and said "Enough is enough, let's start rolling this puppy out, Moto and Verizon be damned. It's as good a theory as any.

Google does not push the update to any phones they only release the source code for the Android OS to the handset manufacturers. The handset manufacturers then modify it for their devices and then push the updates directly to the devices after they get the "OK" from the wireless carriers.

If Motorola is saying that they are in the soak test phase, then it is since they are the ones that are pushing it out. If you received the update and you were not on the soak test list then it could have been a number of reasons why you got it. Maybe the phone you have was a refurb replacement you received from Verizon under a warranty claim that was previously listed on the soak test, someone "fat fingered" when they were typing the MEI number into the database and yours was entered or Motorola just did a broad range to cover a number of them.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
And, in your raft of possibilities, there's another - the Google decided to get involved in order to goose the process.

I mean, since we're talking hypothetical unknown factors.

And besides, who owns Moto now? Perhaps it's time to stop thinking of them as separate
organizations. Who knows how their procedures have already been changed or modified? Perhaps the soak test is just a loose-end vestige during the transition. Does Google do soak tests when they roll out Nexus updates? (I'm really asking as I don't know).

Last edited:

bradlwlk

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I got the ICS update, but the MotoBlur widgets like "Feed" and the "Universal Inbox" widgets are all gone, and none of them are resizeable. Even the weather widget. Anyone know why?

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
FYI, there have been ways in the past to trick your phone into getting an update earlier than it wants. So while you can't "force" it, there may be a certain set of steps that will make it available.

eldog36

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you want the upgrade right now it just takes a little work. There is a writeup on another forum that explains how to do it with very little risk of soft bricking your phone. I was an early adopter and got bricked with the old instructions but was able to recover and install ICS. Since then there is a new writeup that is exactly the way I was able to get ICS and wouldn't have had a problem if I had known. OR you can just be patient and wait.

I don't know if I can post direct links to another forum, and I won't steal the authors work and post here.Buuuut....

If you google this you should find the right thread:

Official OTA ICS Update Guide for Droid Razr & Razr MAXX - adapted from rda990's

Here is a link to where ICS file is hosted and DroidRazrUtility1.7for ICS to prep and install on your phone:

Droid Razr MAXX ICS Files | Armorlight Technology – Public Site

I give no guarantees you won't mess something up but it is pretty easy, good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz