OTA ICS fails at 25% due to bootstrap

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
All,

If you are still on gingerbread, and have rooted your phone, and used bootstrap, you will need to manually "uninstall" bootstrap or the ICS OTA will fail.

What happened to me, is that I had uninstalled bootstrap software, but it left remants of code that caused the OTA to fail about 25% of the way into it.

To check to see if you are affected, see if the following files exist in /system/bin:

/system/bin/hijack << this is from bootstrap
/system/bin/logwrapper << this is from bootstrap
/system/bin/logwrapper.bin << this is the original renamed file.

If you see all 3 of these files, follow these steps:

(((caution)))(((caution)))
do these steps carefully. Any mistakes will cause problems on next phone reboot

If you have bootstrap installed, uninstall it first.

1. Uninstall the bootstrap app
2. Go into root explorer to system/bin
3. In top right corner tap r/w
4. Delete the file called hijack
5. Delete logwrapper
6. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
7. Reboot and it should be gone.

After I performed these steps, the OTA installed completely. I was able to maintain root with voodoo OTA Rootkeeper no problems.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
This is general knowledge that you need to flash to stock to get an OS upgrade...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Only if installing ROMs and bootstrapping.
Rooted only, has never required me to flash back to stock.
DroidX, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Razr Maxx.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
According to the research I've done, go to your app drawer, click on safestrap, click on uninstall recovery. Then uninstall the app itself. You don't have to delete the .apk file itself. That's the best I've come up with so far. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The answer is SAFESTRAP needs to be removed too. What I dont know is whether SAFESTRAP uninstall cleans up after itself or not. However, as noted in the OP, follow the steps to see if the two offending files exist on your phone after you have deinstalled. If they exist, the actions noted above need to be performed. Bottom line is that the original LOGWRAPPER file needs to be the executable in use, not the hijacked one for the upgrade to succeed.

This was the only "cleanup" I needed to do to get OTA ICS to install correctly. However, I will add that I didnt do any of the other known problems(removing/freezing bloatware) that would cause an upgrade failure.

It is perfectly fine to use voodoo OTA rootkeeper as part of the upgrade.

Reactions: D_H

butane87

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
okay....i took action before i read your message....and deleted the apk and the app only...should i redownload the apk and uninstall as you mentioned or should i be good with what i did?

butane87

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see the hijack file but did see the logwrapper and logwrapper.bin...deleted and renamed as you said....rebooted...no more safestrap....thanks for the heads up!

FLJB

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
All,

If you are still on gingerbread, and have rooted your phone, and used bootstrap, you will need to manually "uninstall" bootstrap or the ICS OTA will fail.

What happened to me, is that I had uninstalled bootstrap software, but it left remants of code that caused the OTA to fail about 25% of the way into it.

To check to see if you are affected, see if the following files exist in /system/bin:

/system/bin/hijack << this is from bootstrap
/system/bin/logwrapper << this is from bootstrap
/system/bin/logwrapper.bin << this is the original renamed file.

If you see all 3 of these files, follow these steps:

do these steps carefully. Any mistakes will cause problems on next phone reboot

If you have bootstrap installed, uninstall it first.

1. Uninstall the bootstrap app
2. Go into root explorer to system/bin
3. In top right corner tap r/w
4. Delete the file called hijack
5. Delete logwrapper
6. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
7. Reboot and it should be gone.

After I performed these steps, the OTA installed completely. I was able to maintain root with voodoo OTA Rootkeeper no problems.

So, I would like to add that if you never USED bootstrap, if you even downloaded it to your phone you have to do this... Before I decided to use SafeStrap I had sideloaded, but never installed or used, the APK for bootstrap.

My install of ICS failed 2 times at 25% and i was puzzled. Finally read this thread and found I did not have hijack file but did have logwrapper and logwrapper.bin. Deleted logwrapper and renamed logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper and then restarted and my ICS update just finished installing.

You'll know you have this problem when after downloading and installing the yellow install bar only goes 1/4 of the way (25%) and then tells you it failed.

Again, I never used bootstrap but had downloaded it to my phone before I read up and decided on safestrap. You do have to remove safestrap as well.

Thank you for the post!!

Reactions: D_H

warren7127

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
This MAXX is my first Android device, I have rooted it successfully, installed/have super user, busy box, & had safe strap. I get the whole "delete logwrapper rename logwrapper.bin". I still can not do this function, I do not have the permissions to do so.
ASTRO Pro, ES File manager can see the files, copy the files, but can not delete or rename the files, (they have SU permission). I also have all the latest drivers, SDK installed, "My Phone Explorer" wont even detect my phone, & "Android Commander" sees all, but does nothing I need it to do.
Basically I have what I have read to be is a "soft" rooted device (rooted, without permissions)
What am I missing?

PS if google had a nickel for every time I typed a search on this subject in the last 24hrs, they'd be like HOLY S%#!T! THANKS DUDE :D

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
This MAXX is my first Android device, I have rooted it successfully, installed/have super user, busy box, & had safe strap. I get the whole "delete logwrapper rename logwrapper.bin". I still can not do this function, I do not have the permissions to do so.
ASTRO Pro, ES File manager can see the files, copy the files, but can not delete or rename the files, (they have SU permission). I also have all the latest drivers, SDK installed, "My Phone Explorer" wont even detect my phone, & "Android Commander" sees all, but does nothing I need it to do.
Basically I have what I have read to be is a "soft" rooted device (rooted, without permissions)
What am I missing?

PS if google had a nickel for every time I typed a search on this subject in the last 24hrs, they'd be like HOLY S%#!T! THANKS DUDE :D

You need to mount the filesystem R/W (read/write) with a tool like root explorer before you can modify it. by default it is mounted R/O (read only).

Reactions: warren7127

warren7127

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You need to mount the filesystem R/W (read/write) with a tool like root explorer before you can modify it. by default it is mounted R/O (read only).

Ok, IF I recover, I'll give it a try. However, atm I believe I'm at the point of what is called a "hard brick"... ap fast boot is the only thing that will show up when I power on. been trying the "droid razr utility" to install the stock rom but it keeps failing at the "writing ' system'"

Im thinking I should just take it back to verizon & play dumb

neutral1030

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've followed the instruction to the dot and still OTA fails at 25%. Thought it might be safestrap so uninstalled that and deleted related folders but still fails. Any other ideas? I've been able to do previous OTA updates without any problem. Should I unroot and try again? I've been trying with Voodoo OTA rootkeeper. Maybe that's my only solution?

Thanks!

coletrane09

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've followed the instruction to the dot and still OTA fails at 25%. Thought it might be safestrap so uninstalled that and deleted related folders but still fails. Any other ideas? I've been able to do previous OTA updates without any problem. Should I unroot and try again? I've been trying with Voodoo OTA rootkeeper. Maybe that's my only solution?

Thanks!

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php?/topic/3399-Droid-Razr-Utility-1.81-[Windows]-For-Verizon-Droid-Razr/maxx-Only!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888